Reload this Page >

Opinion on 100 mile house, BC?

Opinion on 100 mile house, BC?

Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

emmabarnett is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Opinion on 100 mile house, BC?

Hi,

Can any of you give me your opinion on living in or near 100 mile house in British Columbia?

Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:12 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Opinion on 100 mile house, BC?

Originally Posted by emmabarnett
Hi,

Can any of you give me your opinion on living in or near 100 mile house in British Columbia?

Thanks
You might want to street view it. That should tell you all you need to know.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Its more than 100 miles from Vancouver approx 455 kms or 282 miles.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:24 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmabarnett
Hi,

Thanks
There is not much there.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:52 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Aviator
There is not much there.
Well at one time it was associated with Emissaries of Divine Light and the Cecil Family pretty well owned all the land in the town. Cecil was Marquess of Exeter
Old Apr 27th 2014, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Well at one time it was associated with Emissaries of Divine Light and the Cecil Family pretty well owned all the land in the town. Cecil was Marquess of Exeter
Great for weekend conversation in the bar when having a few beers on a Friday night Does knowing that get you a place in the Express line at Safeway? Do they even have a Safeway in 100 Mile House?
Based on posts so far it is not Vancouver and is a little bit isolated.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:43 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Based on posts so far it is not Vancouver and is a little bit isolated.
It's on the main highway to PG, somewhere one stops for gas or lunch then drives on, or you just drive through.

Nice ranching area.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

100 Mile House was a stop along the Cariboo Gold Rush Trail in the 1800s. A bit of background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Mile_House

Have you seen Little House on the Prairie? 100 Mile House has that history, somewhat. A friend of mine lives there, a cradle born and raised in Vancouver, moved there to pursue the romantic ideal of life on a horse ranch. The reality is that it's a small town, everyone knows everything about everyone, it's a resource based economy so the pursuit of intellect serves no purpose. Racism runs rampant and they don't realize they're being racist, and she (the Vancouverite cradle) has nothing in common with anyone. I can only imagine what a British expat would say about living there. Nevertheless, if you're from the city, you're in for a big culture shock moving to 100 Mile House. If my friend from Vancouver, who was chasing the romantic dream of raising a family on an acreage with horses is having second thoughts, I can only imagine you will too, unless you've already become accustomed to rural conservative Canadian life.

Saying that, I've heard the fishing's good.

Last edited by Lychee; Apr 28th 2014 at 2:02 am.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 2:33 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Lychee
100 Mile House was a stop along the Cariboo Gold Rush Trail in the 1800s. A bit of background: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_Mile_House

Have you seen Little House on the Prairie? 100 Mile House has that history, somewhat. A friend of mine lives there, a cradle born and raised in Vancouver, moved there to pursue the romantic ideal of life on a horse ranch. The reality is that it's a small town, everyone knows everything about everyone, it's a resource based economy so the pursuit of intellect serves no purpose. Racism runs rampant and they don't realize they're being racist, and she (the Vancouverite cradle) has nothing in common with anyone. I can only imagine what a British expat would say about living there. Nevertheless, if you're from the city, you're in for a big culture shock moving to 100 Mile House. If my friend from Vancouver, who was chasing the romantic dream of raising a family on an acreage with horses is having second thoughts, I can only imagine you will too, unless you've already become accustomed to rural conservative Canadian life.

Saying that, I've heard the fishing's good.
Plus there is always gold mining in the area around Bullion and Hydraulic Horsefly and the Forks. They were boom towns in the 1890s.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

Courier Overnight delivery from Red Deer to 100 Mile House took a week... Fairly sure it wasn't because of the Red Deer end though...
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

beaujolais is an unknown quantity at this point

Would consider moving closer to the coast or the Rockies, not a lot at 100 mile house for an expat. Unless you are looking for RURAL and inaccessible. Not a lot in the way of employment so unless you are going to be self sufficient you might reconsider.
Old Apr 28th 2014, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by beaujolais
Would consider moving closer to the coast or the Rockies, not a lot at 100 mile house for an expat. Unless you are looking for RURAL and inaccessible. Not a lot in the way of employment so unless you are going to be self sufficient you might reconsider.
100 Mile is not inaccessible, it is on Hiway 97, one of the main highways north and it has an airstrip. It is just a long way from any major centre.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 5:19 pm
IDT
Forum Regular

IDT is an unknown quantity at this point

Only been once.

I enjoyed it - probably wouldn't want to live there - but that's more about me than the town.