Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is the Open University LLB(Hons) accepted in Canada?

Is the Open University LLB(Hons) accepted in Canada?

Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

davidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant futuredavidrn has a brilliant future
Default Is the Open University LLB(Hons) accepted in Canada?

Hi,

Currently working on a Degree in Law - LLB(Hons) with the Open Univeristy at home part time does anybody know if both immigration services in Canada and the law society of Canada / Governing body of lawyers in Canada approve and accept an Open University law degree from the UK.

Thanks
Old Nov 21st 2009, 2:04 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the Open University LLB(Hons) accepted in Canada?

Immigration may accept it, law societies may not.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davidrn
Hi,

Currently working on a Degree in Law - LLB(Hons) with the Open Univeristy at home part time does anybody know if both immigration services in Canada and the law society of Canada / Governing body of lawyers in Canada approve and accept an Open University law degree from the UK.

Thanks
Immigration will accept it as a degre, if you wish to use it to become a lawyer in Canada you will need to have it assessed by the NCA who will then tell you what further exams you will need to write before they will issue you with a Certificate of Equivalency to enable you to proceed to be called to the Bar. All Provinces and Territories, with the exception of Quebec, use the NCA to accredit foreign law degrees.

The NCA's website is here:http://www.flsc.ca/en/foreignLawyers/foreignLawyers.asp

This page will provide you with the application process and an indication of how your degree is likely to be assessed: http://www.flsc.ca/en/foreignLawyers....asp#procedure

It will tell you all you need to know.

Best of luck
Old Nov 28th 2009, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

I graduated with the LLB (Hons) from the Open University back in 2006.
Immigration definitely accept it - we've already cleared that hurdle. But the qualification itself won't be accepted in Canada, or at least not in full.
A friend who graduated in law at a more 'standard' university still had to retake several years (courses) of his law degree in Ontario, before he was allowed to practice.
It isn't impossible though.
I was advised to apply in the Yukon, then move somewhere else a couple of years post-qualification!
Best of luck.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcar
I graduated with the LLB (Hons) from the Open University back in 2006.
Immigration definitely accept it - we've already cleared that hurdle. But the qualification itself won't be accepted in Canada, or at least not in full.
A friend who graduated in law at a more 'standard' university still had to retake several years (courses) of his law degree in Ontario, before he was allowed to practice.
It isn't impossible though.
I was advised to apply in the Yukon, then move somewhere else a couple of years post-qualification!
Best of luck.

Ontario requires compliance with the NCA process as I stated above. Provincial Law Societies do not have any input into the NCA process, it is handled by the NCA.

Why Yukon? The NCA will still have to assess the degree and will give an applicant the same exams to write irrespective of where the applicant intends to practice. From that point forward, the applicant would be in the same position as a Canadian law graduate, except that some Provincial Law Societies may give the applicant a slight reduction in the period of time to Article. Certainly not worth the effort of trying to make a go of things in Yukon and then relocate at a later date.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

lcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of lightlcar is a glorious beacon of light

Yes I agree - the NCA are very likely to ask the OP to retake several courses. I just meant that if that's really what you want to do (law in Canada), then it can be done, you just have to carry on studying for longer and retake courses.
For what it's worth, I took the LSAT (law schools admission test) - which I found very challenging - with a view to applying for law schools. I took it in London UK - there are various venues offering it.
I think the Yukon comment was tongue in cheek - 'there are fewer applicants for law schools in the Yukon, so they are a little easier to get into' was the gist. Maybe I should have put a smiley in...
Old Nov 29th 2009, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lcar
Yes I agree - the NCA are very likely to ask the OP to retake several courses. I just meant that if that's really what you want to do (law in Canada), then it can be done, you just have to carry on studying for longer and retake courses.
For what it's worth, I took the LSAT (law schools admission test) - which I found very challenging - with a view to applying for law schools. I took it in London UK - there are various venues offering it.
I think the Yukon comment was tongue in cheek - 'there are fewer applicants for law schools in the Yukon, so they are a little easier to get into' was the gist. Maybe I should have put a smiley in...
Most NCA applicants write the NCA's own exams, very few attend law school. I don't know this for certain but I doubt very much that there is less competition for law school in Yukon. The competition is very tough for all law schools in Canada. I cannot imagine that, a student that wants to practice in Canada, would give up a place for law school in Yukon, only to attend a US law school and have to subject themselves to the NCA process.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:26 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

there's a law school in the Yukon? I read it as the Yukon was an easier place to work as a foreign lawyer. They're pretty keen to get people up there.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
there's a law school in the Yukon? I read it as the Yukon was an easier place to work as a foreign lawyer. They're pretty keen to get people up there.
I have no idea. The OP hasn't returned in any event
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have no idea. The OP hasn't returned in any event
I don't think there can be a law school up there. My daughter was living in Alaska when she drifted into law, I believe she went to Vancouver because it was the nearest place.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:44 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Law schools in Canada: http://www.campusaccess.com/educatio...ls-canada.html

Soon to be added to with a new law faculty at Thompson Rivers University.