Reload this Page >

Open ended visit/airline ticket for up to 6 months

Open ended visit/airline ticket for up to 6 months

Old Feb 8th 2010, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

Blinks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open ended visit/airline ticket for up to 6 months

Hi,

We took up permanent residence in December 2009, and are sposoring my mother which is proving complex and we now know this is going to take longer than expected.

My mum would like to come across in July on a one way ticket so she can stay for as long or short a time as she likes with us. I understand that she can do this without a visa or any special arrangement for up to 6 months? She could then buy a ticket back to UK when she decided to end her stay. Are we right to think this and are there any pitfalls anyone knows of?

Also would it help at passport control if she had a letter from us inviting her which showed our address and status as PR's?

What questions can she expect at passport control, she's 75 and liable to the odd "wobble" when faced with the unknown. She hasn't even flown for 30 years!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open ended visit/airline ticket for up to 6 months

Originally Posted by Blinks
Hi,

We took up permanent residence in December 2009, and are sposoring my mother which is proving complex and we now know this is going to take longer than expected.

My mum would like to come across in July on a one way ticket so she can stay for as long or short a time as she likes with us. I understand that she can do this without a visa or any special arrangement for up to 6 months? She could then buy a ticket back to UK when she decided to end her stay. Are we right to think this and are there any pitfalls anyone knows of?

Also would it help at passport control if she had a letter from us inviting her which showed our address and status as PR's?

What questions can she expect at passport control, she's 75 and liable to the odd "wobble" when faced with the unknown. She hasn't even flown for 30 years!
The main sticking point is that the six months is ENTIRELY at the immigration officers discresion, she could get 6 months, could get 6 days.

The one way ticket might set alarm bells ringing, especially combined with a PR application already in the works. If it were me, given the minimal extra cost of a return over a one way ticket I would highly recommend travelling on a return ticket, and just saying she is coming for an extended visit with family (which she is). The usual questions would be where she is staying, purpose of visit, how long for (make it a long time till the return half of the ticket ) what funds she has to support herself while here, that kind of thing.

Good Luck!

Last edited by iaink; Feb 8th 2010 at 2:06 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:17 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a return ticket that allows date changes (most likely for a fee). Book a date for the return either as far into the future as you feel comfortable with, or for a possible date. Just make sure to change it before the booked date (and check other rules around this).

It will be cheaper than buying two one ways if she is flying scheduled.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

There are a load of pitfalls. She could be denied boarding on the aircraft in the UK with a one way ticket if she is coming as a visitor and no residency status. Perhaps buy an open return, costs a bit more but could save a world of grief.
If the immigration officer suspects she may not leave when the visitor permit has expired she may be denied entry in Canada and put on the next flight back. A letter saying you live here could only make matters worse. She is not going through passport control coming in, you do that going out, she's going though immigration who are sticklers and then through customs.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:54 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
If the immigration officer suspects she may not leave when the visitor permit has expired she may be denied entry in Canada and put on the next flight back.
Would they really do that to a 75 year old woman?

Passengers over the age of 65 are usually given special treatment anyway aren't they? (Exempt from any visitor biometric programs etc).
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Blinks is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lmartin999
Buy a return ticket that allows date changes (most likely for a fee). Book a date for the return either as far into the future as you feel comfortable with, or for a possible date. Just make sure to change it before the booked date (and check other rules around this).

It will be cheaper than buying two one ways if she is flying scheduled.
Many thanks for great replies. I've never had tickets allowing date changes before, I'll shop around for airlines unless you have recomendations having bought changeable tickets before. We have nearly always travelled with Canadian Affair, perhaps they offer changeable tickets.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:01 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

We have nearly always travelled with Canadian Affair, perhaps they offer changeable tickets.
I believe you can make changes with Canadian affair tickets if you pay the standard fare (which is usually £10 more expensive than the cheaper alternative) but there is a £100 penalty for it and you need to make the change a set amount of time in advance, unless I read it incorrectly.

I was looking at this last night actually.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:17 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where you are looking to fly to/from. If you PM me I can make some suggestions. One thing to be aware of is that changes will always (obviously) be subject to availability. This could be an issue with a charter as they wont have as many flight options. Even with a scheduled you will need to make sure there is availability in your original booking class. Though if you have some flexibility and think ahead a little it should be ok.

Just had a quick look at AC between LHR and YYZ for example. Their two cheapest economy fares (S and L booking class) dont allow changes. However, the next most expensive (W) does:

AFTER DEPARTURE
CHARGE CAD 150.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.

You may find that you can't get the fares you want online, might need to call the airlines.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:42 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
Would they really do that to a 75 year old woman?

Passengers over the age of 65 are usually given special treatment anyway aren't they? (Exempt from any visitor biometric programs etc).
Do you really think there should be positive age discrimination if someone older is perceived as potentially trying to break immigration laws?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:57 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

travelled with Canadian Affair
Do you hate your mother THAT much?
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:59 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by R I C H
Do you really think there should be positive age discrimination if someone older is perceived as potentially trying to break immigration laws?
Personally no, but the governments of the United States and Japan, for example, disagree with me.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:16 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Personally no, but the governments of the United States and Japan, for example, disagree with me.
That'd be an interesting piece of legislation to read, if you could supply the source.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I think your options (airline wise) are to..

1) Buy a "disposable" return ticket on Air transat / Thomas Cook and buy another ticket for the return journey (ticket price will vary according to departure date, presently for February departure/march return is £328 (approximately $700) return, a single in September would be $400 - a total of $1100 odd.

2) Buy an Air Canada return ticket (which is valid for 1 year) putting in dates for, say, 5 months after she is flying. Air Canada allow changes up to the day before the flight for £94 and full refunds for $200. Return tickets prices again will vary, but for example, departing 17th March and returning September 12th would be £465 (approximately $950) with an additional £94 to change the flight to a different one - approximately the same cost overall (but a better airline, lol).

3) Buy a single ticket and ensure your Mother has proof of sufficient funds to purchase a return (Bank statement, Visa card & statement, letter from yourselves undertaking to purchase her return ticket and proof of your means to do so) and proof that she has "ties" at home (along the lines of utility bills in her name, mortgage / copy of deeds or whatever). This will be required by Canadian Immigration.

I have travelled on a single ticket from the UK to Canada without any problem several times - I have never been questioned about it at the departing Airport or refused boarding (although entering into Canada is a different matter, see below).

A UK national with a UK passport is highly unlikely to be denied boarding as UK residents are not required to have a visa for Canada. A simple check with the airline to ascertain their policy on single fares and boarding requirements is easy to do.

The requirement that the Canadian Immigration officers will want is that she can show that she is able to purchase a return ticket when required to leave, and sufficient money available to support herself (or a letter of support). All she needs to say is that she is visiting her family for an extended stay and intends to return to the UK in a few months.

Hope that helps.

Air Canada allow changes and refunds on Tango Plus

Departing Flight London (LHR) To Toronto (YYZ) - Tango Plus
Returning Flight Toronto (YYZ) To London (LHR) - Tango Plus
Tickets are refundable (a $200 CAD fee applies) and non-transferable.
Changes can be made up to 2 hours prior to departure. Cancellations can be made up to 45 minutes prior to departure.
Changes are permitted as follows:
Prior to day of departure - £94 GBP per passenger, plus applicable taxes and any additional fare difference.
Day of departure, at the airport - $100 CAD, per passenger, plus applicable taxes (no charge for fare difference) for same-day flights only.

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 8th 2010 at 4:26 pm. Reason: added AC charges
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:27 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Japan (states that under 16's are exempt but other sources report that over 65's are also admissable without biometrics, I think that may have actually been on the Japanese landing card):

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...-oceania/japan

I can't find the USA link right now but I haven't been back there since the days of US visit in the mid-2000's when we were all exempt based on nationality. I think I have read that over 65's are exempt from the current system though.

Personally I disagree with fingerprinting at borders except in cases where people have been refused entry for a legitimate reason or have been involved in some kind of criminal activity and many have argued that the Japanese system is based more on racism than anything else and they don't even exemplify most of their PR's from the requirement.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; Feb 8th 2010 at 4:32 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 4:32 pm
Pea Brain

Japan (states that under 16's are exempt but other sources report that over 65's are also admissable without biometrics):
Ah, sorry, I thought you meant a policy of leniency for older folk regarding immigration, not just the biometric stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.