Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario small claims court - impact on credit rating?

Ontario small claims court - impact on credit rating?

Old Jul 13th 2020, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ontario small claims court - impact on credit rating?

I am considering taking my ex-tax adviser to an Ontario small claims court to recoup some $1800 she owes us due to her late submission of our 2018 CRA tax returns and the fines and late payment interest me and my wife incurred through no fault of our own (I have her admission in writing and promise to repay, but never see a cent of the money!).

I am fed up with this now and considering taking her to the Ontario small claims court.

My question is, if / when I obtain a judgement that she owes us money, is her credit rating in any way affected (in the UK a 'county court judgement' is always picked up by the credit rating agencies and has a seriously adverse effect on that persons credit rating and it is this more than anything else that often leads to actual repayment). I don't know if it works the same way in Ontario.......
Old Jul 13th 2020, 8:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario small claims court - impact on credit rating?

Being Sued in the Ontario Small Claims Court and Will it Affect Your Credit Report - Easy Court Article
https://www.canada.ca/en/financial-c...port.html#toc2

Even if you win the judgement it's down to you to enforce it - and no guarantee you will recoup the money.
https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov....esults_EN.html

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 13th 2020 at 8:53 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2020, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario small claims court - impact on credit rating?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Thanks for that. I am hoping she will see sense and at least want to avoid an impact on her credit rating. I know I may never see the money, but I am damned if she will just walk away scot-free (even if it costs me more money!).