Reload this Page >

Ontario Schooling & TWP

Ontario Schooling & TWP

Old May 28th 2013, 5:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat109 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ontario Schooling & TWP

Hi,

I've been looking on the Ontario School board site, and could have missed it, but can anyone confirm that schooling is free for the child of a TWP? Just wanted to be sure.

And if I get a TWP for intra company transfer, does my wife get a TWP at the border automatically, or do we apply in advance.?

Thanks....
Old May 28th 2013, 12:59 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Schooling & TWP

Originally Posted by al8565
Hi,

I've been looking on the Ontario School board site, and could have missed it, but can anyone confirm that schooling is free for the child of a TWP? Just wanted to be sure.

And if I get a TWP for intra company transfer, does my wife get a TWP at the border automatically, or do we apply in advance.?

Thanks....
Yes, education is free. Your wife my request a Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP) at the POE.
Old May 28th 2013, 1:59 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

it would be worth checking with the school to see if they require a study permit for the child. some do
some don't
Old May 28th 2013, 3:59 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
it would be worth checking with the school to see if they require a study permit for the child. some do
some don't
elementary school kids who are dependents of TWP holders do not require a study permit, although some school boards don't appear to appreciate this. We didn't ask for, or receive, a study permit at POE (our eldest was just below school age at the time) and the school never asked about it when we registered him; I've heard of others for whom the situation was different.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-minors.asp - see the section at the bottom of the page on Exceptions. It's not written at all clearly, which is probably where the confusion arises at school board level.
Old May 29th 2013, 12:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat109 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies, really very helpful. Few things to remember as we enter the country.
Old May 29th 2013, 2:27 pm
UCanadian

Cepheus is an unknown quantity at this point

School is free before uni, also they are strict on boundaries and schools range in quality, so check the area and school exam results.
Old May 29th 2013, 2:49 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cepheus
, so check the area and school exam results.
Which exam results would they be then?
I'm genuinely curious as my experience in Candian schools isn't exactly main stream education.
I wasn't aware of any "standardised" exams in the same way that you have in the UK to make comparisons like that
Old May 29th 2013, 3:13 pm
UCanadian

Cepheus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Which exam results would they be then?
I'm genuinely curious as my experience in Candian schools isn't exactly main stream education.
I wasn't aware of any "standardised" exams in the same way that you have in the UK to make comparisons like that
EQAO. My oldest daughter started hers today.
Old May 29th 2013, 3:30 pm
Professional Cat herder

Was only aware of the literacy test
thanks for the link
Old Jun 5th 2013, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

hamazz is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a friend whos going over on a iec visa in september, and they were wondering whether they had to pay for their 5 and 4 years olds to goto school or not? i know with twp you dont need, the iec whv is it the same?

hamazz
Old Jun 5th 2013, 10:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hamazz
i have a friend whos going over on a iec visa in september, and they were wondering whether they had to pay for their 5 and 4 years olds to goto school or not? i know with twp you dont need, the iec whv is it the same?

hamazz
Yes it is.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 4:44 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by hamazz

hamazz
You realize that the elementary school age in Canada is 6? So the kids at best would be going to Kindergarten, which doesn't require a study permit anyhow.
Old Jun 5th 2013, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you couldn't be on an IEC if you had dependants? I've learnt something today!
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

thanks for the info pmm,
i thought so, he is 6 in the first few days of october, in the uk he is supposed to be going to year 1, how strict are they with age when starting the school year?

hamazz

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You realize that the elementary school age in Canada is 6? So the kids at best would be going to Kindergarten, which doesn't require a study permit anyhow.
Old Jun 6th 2013, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

yes you can, if you look through the iec 2013 thread, a few people have already traveled with their children, of course if they are older they need study permits which can be got from the embassy with a copy of your cic iec acceptance letter

hamazz

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I thought you couldn't be on an IEC if you had dependants? I've learnt something today!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.