Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario questions

Wikiposts

Ontario questions

Old Jun 29th 2005, 4:23 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario questions

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Electronic visitor records, no need to get their paws on the actual passport. They won't be asking for that until, by some hideous mistake, they consent to place a single use visa for PR landing in it.
I don't think that would be a hideous mistake. Rather it would be the proper thing to do pursuant to a meticulously documented application meeting all the required criteria.

I am quite certain, btw, that neither Canada nor the US maintains any sort of reliable electronic record of people coming and going. One way I know this is that still, in 2004/2005, I have repeatedly crossed the border without having to provide any sort of machine readable document; no driver's license, no passport, no nothing.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of mistakes are made with regard to immigration and passports. I was told, for example, not to bother sending a copy of my canadian father's passport by CHC London as "so many people have those who shouldn't have been entitled to them". So, yes, a mistake could be made. You'll be sure to report back here in 6mths either way, no?

If you're saying she's handed a passport over most of the time, there will be a record. If she hasn't, there won't. Just which is it?
Old Jun 29th 2005, 4:38 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of mistakes are made with regard to immigration and passports. I was told, for example, not to bother sending a copy of my canadian father's passport by CHC London as "so many people have those who shouldn't have been entitled to them". So, yes, a mistake could be made. You'll be sure to report back here in 6mths either way, no?

If you're saying she's handed a passport over most of the time, there will be a record. If she hasn't, there won't. Just which is it?
I will certainly report, yes. If all of this works out I'll give the lawyer a plug.

In most cases the border agents, on both sides, ask for a passport. I have found that this is always the case when traveling by commerical flight ; the passport is scanned so a record exists, at least it does at that moment. When travelling by private plane passports are not usually requested and, if they are, it's at the plane so they're not scanned. In a car, or on foot, there's no consistency at all, last month I pulled up at the US border :

"purpose of your visit ?"

"consulting work at xyz"

"are you carrying anything you think you should declare ?"

"Nothing"

"Have a nice day".

No documentation required at all so no ever record existed. In the case of the common-law she makes an effort to get stamped so as to push the six months out as far as possible but still, it doesn't always happen.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 4:55 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

God, are you two still going on

The point has been made on both side. Several Times.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 4:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

It's chucking it down outside, thunder and lightning, I have nothing better to do
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:00 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by iaink

I'm bored. Most clients are on vacation.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:02 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh for God's sake get a room, you two!
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:03 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Or a pool table
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:04 am
Assimilated Pauper

Wouldn't that weaken my claim to be in a respectable common law relationship ?
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:09 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
No, you are just practicing arguing with the wife for no reason.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:10 am

It's chucking it down outside, thunder and lightning, I have nothing better to do
Here too! Well, was. I love it and I'm just drying off from dashing out to get soaked. Brilliant stuff - heavy downpouring rain, thunder and lightening. It almost never rains like that in Victoria and thunder and lightening are rarer still there, so I'm a bit like a kid in it.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:13 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Nah. Sounds pretty common to me. Especially the pool table bit.

If you're really that bored, come over here and do some woodwork for me.

SWMBO has decreed that I am to build a box planter for the front porch. She has helpfully already bought the wood for me.

64 feet of cedar 2x6 and enough 2x2s to built an Ark. Just how big does she think this thing's going to be for FFS?
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Here too! Well, was. I love it and I'm just drying off from dashing out to get soaked. Brilliant stuff - heavy downpouring rain, thunder and lightening. It almost never rains like that in Victoria and thunder and lightening are rarer still there, so I'm a bit like a kid in it.
It was some wild here last night. We drove out to the barn, an hour north, through thunder and lightning, just fast enough to be able to keep the top down on the car. It bucketed down for five minutes or so, fortunately after we cleared the traffic.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Brilliant stuff - heavy downpouring rain, thunder and lightening.
I'd usually agree but since my straightners blew the converter, they're not operating too well at only 110v. Rain is now an enemy of my frizz-free barnet and must be avoided. I'm enjoying it from the balcony though.
Old Jun 29th 2005, 5:32 am

She has helpfully already bought the wood for me.

64 feet of cedar 2x6 and enough 2x2s to built an Ark. Just how big does she think this thing's going to be for FFS?
Reminds me of 'sewing class' when I was 12. We had to bring in 2 metres of fabric for a skirt that only required a metre to be made properly. Maybe SWMBO's very wise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.