Reload this Page >

Ontario questions

Wikiposts

Ontario questions

Old Jun 28th 2005, 3:33 am
Just Joined

Cougarslair is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ontario questions

We are hoping to return to live in the GTA soon (as soon as our solictor gets his finger out and gets on with our house sale!!!) and wonder if you guys can help with some information...

Car insurance - can anyone recommend any particular insurer in the GTA, and what is a typical insurance premium these days?

Cars - Im thinking of getting a mini van and wonder if anyone had experience or knowledge of this dealer - www.autodome.ca

Banks - anyone recommend a good bank? Ive wondered about ING and also Presidents Choice??

Credit rating - Ive thought about obtaining our UK Equifax credit report and taking it with us -I know its different from Canada but wondering if it might be of value. What do people think?

SIN cards - my wife and I still have our old cards, do you think we will need to get new ones?

Licence Plates - I still have my Ontario licence plates (its amazing the stuff we kept!) can I use them still and what will I need to do to register them?

Thanks everyone

Last edited by Cougarslair; Jun 28th 2005 at 4:47 am.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 3:43 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario questions

Originally Posted by Cougarslair
wonder if you guys can help with some information...
At the risk of being rude, we already have. Have a search through the old posts and I think nearly everything but the car stealerships been covered before.

Interesting route here, Im sure all those waiting for skilled worker applications are sticking pins in effegies as I type Almost makes me wonder why I got citizenship to make coming and going no hassle, if a canadian kid is enough
Old Jun 28th 2005, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting indeed! I had no idea, can't find anything on a web search about that either. If you're a child PR you can accompany your citizen parents indefinitely abroad but I didn't know it worked in reverse. Maybe the immigration experts can confirm/deny?
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by iaink
At the risk of being rude, we already have. Have a search through the old posts and I think nearly everything but the car stealerships been covered before.

Interesting route here, Im sure all those waiting for skilled worker applications are sticking pins in effegies as I type Almost makes me wonder why I got citizenship to make coming and going no hassle, if a canadian kid is enough
Didnt intend to gloat or anything, just thought some people would be interested - PLUS dont forget we HAVE been through the whole skilled worker immigration process and know exactly what its like (thats how we got there in the first place)- Im an RGN and had to qualify as an RN for Canada, plus I am a qualified teacher and IT qualified so I am taking some skills to Canada.

ALso I apologise for not doing a more thorough search for information.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

An immigration consultant on the immigration forum reckons it's not possible... From whom did you get the information that it was?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=310986

Last edited by Biiiiink; Jun 28th 2005 at 4:14 am. Reason: spellink!!
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
An immigration consultant on the immigration forum reckons it's not possible... From whom did you get the information that it was?

Possible or not its what has happened.
The immigration service are the ones who issued the visas - we enquired about returning to canada and they sent us the forms - we queried it and were told that it was correct and so we filled in the forms, sent the money and were given visas! We had to prove our daughter was Canadian, our dependant and alive(!) which we did.
In fact we have applied twice now as our first visas expired before we could use them, and it is the Canadian Immigration who advised us that this is the correct thing.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

ALso I apologise for not doing a more thorough search for information.
Thats OK, are you sure you will be able to survive here without watching the Gooners down the pub. Why did you go back to the UK in the first place?

You probably know IT is a tough nut to crack here, right?
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What immigration service? What does that mean?

Do you mean the fifty dollar travel document? With that in your hand or not, you may get a rather nasty surprise at your point of entry in to Canada when they establish you haven't been in the country for 13yrs. Better to get this sorted now than move your whole family only to be turned back at the airport (apart from your daughter obviously).
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:29 am
Just Joined

Thats OK, are you sure you will be able to survive here without watching the Gooners down the pub. Why did you go back to the UK in the first place?

You probably know IT is a tough nut to crack here, right?
Gooners?? what are they?

Im returning to Canadian nursing career as I know IT is very tough there.

We came back to the UK for family reasons shall we say - it was a crisis decision.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:33 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Gooners?? what are they?

Im returning to Canadian nursing career as I know IT is very tough there.

We came back to the UK for family reasons shall we say - it was a crisis decision.
Gooners...The Gunners. Arsenal FC. You remember dont you?
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Note that the consultants on the immigration forum thought my partner's situation to be impossible, which it plainly isn't. A grain of salt is needed with internet advice.
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:37 am
Just Joined

Gooners...The Gunners. Arsenal FC. You remember dont you?
Doh - sorry for being thick - not actually heard em called the Gooners. I'm not really a football fan so I wont miss this at all.

Dont go in UK pubs much either these days so wont miss them either
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
Note that the consultants on the immigration forum thought my partner's situation to be impossible, which it plainly isn't. A grain of salt is needed with internet advice.
Yours is illegal, not physically impossible, there's quite a difference
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:41 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Doh - sorry for being thick - not actually heard em called the Gooners. I'm not really a football fan so I wont miss this at all.
Course your not. I must be thinking of someone else. Lot of trouble with trolls here recently
Old Jun 28th 2005, 4:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Yours is illegal, not physically impossible, there's quite a difference
We've recently applied for both a student visa and PR. We visited a lawyer to put this in motion and, while we were there, I asked about this alleged illegality. He seemed nonplussed, if there's an infraction it's very much a technical one and it's not one that concerns CIC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.