Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

(Ontario) London or St. Catharines OR Chatham-Kent?

(Ontario) London or St. Catharines OR Chatham-Kent?

Old May 23rd 2012, 5:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: London or St. Catharines OR Chatham-Kent?

Originally Posted by jameswales
Excellent information guys, and we'll certainly start looking at Windsor.

Warm and humid climates are an issue - we lived in Florida for a while and spend a few months of each year there, so we're certainly used putting up with sweltering heat and humidity!
Then I'd suggest Chatham.
Old May 23rd 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I like London. I visit it often as my daughter lives there - she's a student at Western. It's within striking distance of Toronto, Niagara Falls, Buffalo, Windsor and Detroit. There are some really nice residential areas. The downtown area has been given a boost by the success of the London Knights OHL hockey team. There are some good restaurants and bars around and the shopping is decent. There are cultural events and concerts. Believe it or not there are even some decent lake beaches not too far away.
Old May 23rd 2012, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Had lots of fun in Chatham, Gillingham, Maidstone back in the (Royal Navy) day....always found the nurses in particular most accommodating (was a long time ago). But live there? Buttf*** Idaho I feel is more appealing.....
Old May 23rd 2012, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road

I'm in London. It has nice areas but also areas to avoid. You'll certainly find something for 300k.

I came here because my wife's family is nearby, and it's a pretty good place to be. Lots to do downtown in the Summer especially.

Sorry to throw another town into the mix, but have you considered Stratford? Only 45 mins from London and IMO a lovely place. Not sure about house prices though...
Old May 24th 2012, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JimboV6
I'm in London. It has nice areas but also areas to avoid. You'll certainly find something for 300k.

I came here because my wife's family is nearby, and it's a pretty good place to be. Lots to do downtown in the Summer especially.

Sorry to throw another town into the mix, but have you considered Stratford? Only 45 mins from London and IMO a lovely place. Not sure about house prices though...
300k wont buy you much in Stratford but the place is beautiful
Old May 25th 2012, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Don't move to Chatham, for the love of all things good please don't move there.

I lived there (and Rochester, Gillingham) for the first 33 years of my life and I still don't know why I didn't get the hell out sooner.

On paper it's an ideal spot for commuting with a decent train service and some nice green spaces.

In reality it's populated by low-lifes and druggies. Yes, there are some nice people around but seriously, the scum bring the place down.

Move Anywhere Else.
That's is wehere we came from and totally agree - I wouldnt wish that place on my worst enermy. Our family, from the nicer parts of Kent couldn't understand why we wanted to move to Canada! Best thing we ever did for our children.
Old May 25th 2012, 3:37 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by getoutofbritainquick
That's is wehere we came from and totally agree - I wouldnt wish that place on my worst enermy. Our family, from the nicer parts of Kent couldn't understand why we wanted to move to Canada! Best thing we ever did for our children.
Indeed, one of the first things my Aussie OH said was that she couldn't live in the UK. I can't say it took me much time to decide that Brisbane might be worth a crack

Some bits of the UK (and Kent) are nice, obviously, but you need to be loaded to get the kind of space (3 acres) that we have here and have a half-sane commute.

And back the Canada ... Of which I know very little other than Edmonton gets bloody cold and that Bryan Adams comes from Vancouver.
Old May 25th 2012, 1:54 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

This is a thread about towns in Ontario.... its in the Canada forum

Thread title amended....
Old May 25th 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
This is a thread about towns in Ontario.... its in the Canada forum

Thread title amended....
Yes but one can't resist have a trip down memory lane!
Old May 28th 2012, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

shrek1991 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: (Ontario) London or St. Catharines OR Chatham-Kent?

If you look a london there are a lot of small villages that surround it that are pretty nice but only minutes away. Belmont, Dorchester, Thorndale, Arva, and where the money seems to be going is Kilworth/komoka. They range from maybe a 5 minute drive to a good 15/20 minute drive to london. The london north end is growing pretty fast right now with housing and commercial. IMHO not a bad place to end up, just like any city it is going through a bad time right now but it has a good mix of everything to pull throught to the other side.
Old May 28th 2012, 4:21 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Ontario) London or St. Catharines OR Chatham-Kent?

I think St Catharines is ok. Good value and some nice areas. Near to Niagara and the US etc. Like many of these towns it suffered from the building of out of town malls which have killed what once was a nice older centre. Signs of recovery though.