Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario Driving Licences

Ontario Driving Licences

Old Dec 2nd 2004, 10:32 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ontario Driving Licences

I've just passed my UK driving licence, and am really confused about the graduated driving licencing in Ontario.

Does anyone know if I will be eligible for a G2 licence or not? The Ontario DriveTest website is really confusing???
Old Dec 2nd 2004, 10:58 pm
the-smiths

Default Re: Ontario Driving Licences

If by the time you get here, you have not had your licence for more than two years ( not neccesaarily driving ), your UK one will be exchanged for a G2, that allows you to drive without supervision, but the time you can be on the road, is limited to certain times. To get a full G, there is a hwy test involved !

Drivers from the United Kingdom, United States, Japan, Republic of Korea, Austria, Germany, France, Switzerland or Canadian Forces - Europe:

2 or More Years of Driving Experience Within the Last Three Years:
If you are a licensed driver with two or more years of driving experience from one of these jurisdictions, you may get full Class G licence privileges without taking a knowledge or road test. However, you must pass a vision test and show acceptable proof of your previous licence status and driving experience.

Note: These conditions also apply to licensed motorcycle riders from the United States, Switzerland and Canadian Forces - Europe. However there is currently no exchange agreement for motorcycle riders from the remaining jurisdictions.

Less than 2 Years of Driving Experience Within the Last Three Years:
If you have less than two years experience, you may get credit for your experience for graduated licensing and be issued a Class G2 licence. Once you have a total of two years of driving experience, you may take the G2 road test to earn full driving privileges.

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
I've just passed my UK driving licence, and am really confused about the graduated driving licencing in Ontario.

Does anyone know if I will be eligible for a G2 licence or not? The Ontario DriveTest website is really confusing???

Last edited by the-smiths; Dec 2nd 2004 at 11:54 pm.

Old Dec 3rd 2004, 1:10 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the-smiths
If by the time you get here, you have not had your licence for more than two years ( not neccesaarily driving ), your UK one will be exchanged for a G2, that allows you to drive without supervision, but the time you can be on the road, is limited to certain times. To get a full G, there is a hwy test involved !
Phew that's a relief. Otherwise I will probably never become a car owner...
The website doesn't seem to be particularily up to date.
Old Dec 3rd 2004, 3:58 am
the-smiths

Hope you are looking forward to the "high insurance for newcomers", licence sticker fees, drivers licence renewal fees every 5yrs ($75).

Phew that's a relief. Otherwise I will probably never become a car owner...
The website doesn't seem to be particularily up to date.

Old Dec 4th 2004, 3:10 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Hope you are looking forward to the "high insurance for newcomers", licence sticker fees, drivers licence renewal fees every 5yrs ($75).
Not bothered about that. As a new driver I would be equally stung for insurance over here.

The quotes for insurance in Ontario seem pretty reasonable to me because of that
Old Dec 5th 2004, 11:03 am
the-smiths

It will be a good thing for you to take a couple of lessons, before you even begin to drive around with your G2 in hand. There are a couple of things you need to learn, like the intersections, turning right on red, after coming to a complete stop first, et al.

Not bothered about that. As a new driver I would be equally stung for insurance over here.

The quotes for insurance in Ontario seem pretty reasonable to me because of that

Old Dec 6th 2004, 5:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

It will be a good thing for you to take a couple of lessons, before you even begin to drive around with your G2 in hand. There are a couple of things you need to learn, like the intersections, turning right on red, after coming to a complete stop first, et al.
That wasn't necessary for me. I was in Ontario in october, rental car et all, and the adaption to the Ontario traffic rules was quite easy.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 5:52 am
the-smiths

Only time will tell, people tend to see things different when on vacation, as compared to when living somewhere full-time. Oh....and if you are coming from Holland, I don't believe Ontario does a swap for the Netherlands driving licence, as of yet.

But eh !......I have never seen you drive.....LOL

Originally Posted by Toontje
That wasn't necessary for me. I was in Ontario in october, rental car et all, and the adaption to the Ontario traffic rules was quite easy.

Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe there's a difference for a new driver like Sarah and someone like me, who drives for a living......
And no, Ontario doesn't swap my license. I have to take all tests again.
Car, bus, truck......
Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:06 am
the-smiths

And that will be the moment of truth, a simple thing like not looking left and right before going through an intersection, can lead to a failure on the test !

And no, Ontario doesn't swap my license. I have to take all tests again.
Car, bus, truck......

Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And that will be the moment of truth, a simple thing like not looking left and right before going through an intersection, can lead to a failure on the test !
No problem there. Driving around with coaches filled with 50 tourists teaches you very quick to look extremely good before entering intersections. If you start moving in first gear and you suddenly have to step on the brakes because you didn't look good enough you'll end up with 50 bleeding noses.
Old Dec 11th 2004, 1:54 am
the-smiths

You should have been on the 401 last night, especially with half of it not lit up, all that freezing rain pouring down, and you couldn't see where you were going. I just hope they will put more street light on there.

No problem there. Driving around with coaches filled with 50 tourists teaches you very quick to look extremely good before entering intersections. If you start moving in first gear and you suddenly have to step on the brakes because you didn't look good enough you'll end up with 50 bleeding noses.