Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario Driving Eyesight Test

Ontario Driving Eyesight Test

Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

skytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really nice
Default Ontario Driving Eyesight Test

I am going to be swapping my N.Ireland (UK) license for an Ontario one and I have my 'driving abstract' and all set to go. I am wondering how hard is the eyesight test compared to back home? I can do the UK one where you have to read a numberplate from a fixed distance but my right eye is nott he best these days (very blurry) and I will likely need glasses before long. The left eye is still good though not as good at when I did my UK license 7 years ago.

Does anyone with not so perfect vision have some feedback about the Ontario test?

Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Driving Eyesight Test

My wife passed it without glasses, its not that tricky.

Is it near or far you have a problem with?

besides, if you cant pass it, then you DO need glasses.. no "might" about it. Only one way to find out I guess...
Old Apr 10th 2012, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

skytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really niceskytek is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
My wife passed it without glasses, its not that tricky.

Is it near or far you have a problem with?

besides, if you cant pass it, then you DO need glasses.. no "might" about it. Only one way to find out I guess...
It's far I have a slight problem with but only slight in my left eye. My right eye on the other hand is blurry no matter what, whether far away objects or right up close, it's blurry. My left eye should be good enough to pass a driving eye test but if they test each eye separately then I'd struggle.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skytek
It's far I have a slight problem with but only slight in my left eye. My right eye on the other hand is blurry no matter what, whether far away objects or right up close, it's blurry. My left eye should be good enough to pass a driving eye test but if they test each eye separately then I'd struggle.
My late neighbour only had one eye (lost one to Cancer) and still drove, so I wouldnt worry too much.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

sonnyjames is an unknown quantity at this point

I had to take mine recently, when we exchanged our licenses.

You look into what looks like a massive pair of binoculars and then have to read out the numbers that you see on the screen in front of you. They then flash an orange light on either side of the screen and you have to say when you can see it on the left / right etc.

It's not too hard, but some of the numbers are pretty small by the end (and I've got 20/20 vision still!). That said, the woman next to us passed even tho she called out at least two letters in the numerals only part of the test, so I'm not sure what the required pass rate is!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:21 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to tell you this but you will be a danger on the road.
Keep in mind that we drive on the right in Canada. When you need to check on cars in the lane to right of you, you will need a good right eye to check the blind spot. Blurry will not cut it.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:23 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Sorry to tell you this but you will be a danger on the road.
Keep in mind that we drive on the right in Canada. When you need to check on cars in the lane to right of you, you will need a good right eye to check the blind spot. Blurry will not cut it.
If one eye cuts it, then why dont we leave it to the people issuing the licenses to decide what is OK and what isnt
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

Bonestable will become famous soon enough

I am in BC not Ontario, but my right eye is way worse than my left. When testing my right eye I read out all letters, when in fact they were all numbers. I did fine with my left eye though, and passed.

I do wear glasses to drive, but they said they always test without glasses first.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:36 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If one eye cuts it, then why dont we leave it to the people issuing the licenses to decide what is OK and what isnt
This person has two "not good" eyes, one of which is useless. He is a danger on the road and needs to get over his vanity and get corrective eyeware, IMO.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

I should clarify that when I say blurry in my right eye I mean text. All text seen with my right eye has a mild blurry haze around it, making it hard to read exactly what things say. This doesn't affect my ability to see objects near or far and I have never caused an accident in Canada or the UK. I have driven in both countries for years, but in Canada I was using rental cars with an internaational driving permit. Now I would like to get a full Ontario license. Thanks for the great feedback guys!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
This person has two "not good" eyes, one of which is useless. He is a danger on the road and needs to get over his vanity and get corrective eyeware, IMO.
Chill out buddy. Why the mean temper? You have misunderstood. My left eye is just slightly under 20/20 and my right is not useless, just blurry for text. I have never even been prescribed glasses but I am certain now I will be told I need them for my right eye at least.
Old May 7th 2012, 10:52 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

I am going to be swapping my N.Ireland (UK) license for an Ontario one and I have my 'driving abstract' and all set to go. I am wondering how hard is the eyesight test compared to back home? I can do the UK one where you have to read a numberplate from a fixed distance but my right eye is nott he best these days (very blurry) and I will likely need glasses before long. The left eye is still good though not as good at when I did my UK license 7 years ago.

Does anyone with not so perfect vision have some feedback about the Ontario test?

Thanks a lot!
Notice being asked for this "driving abstract" too...but what is it?

I'm also in NI so did you ring DVANI and ask for it? Is it different from your counterpart licence? Want to get it all sorted out before I go to Canada this summer.
Old May 8th 2012, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

JimboV6 is on a distinguished road

No point in worrying about it, there's nothing you can do - either you will need glasses now, or you probably will somewhere down the line. Not the end of the world

I passed the eye test without glasses but I do have prescription glasses which I choose to wear whilst driving because I feel more comfortable. Helps with glare too.
Old May 8th 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Here are the Ontario driving test vision standards:

1. A visual acuity as measured by Snellen Rating that is not poorer than 20/50, with both eyes open and examined together with or without the aid of corrective lenses; and
2. A horizontal visual field of at least 120 continuous degrees along the horizontal meridian and at least 15 continuous degrees above and below fixation, with both eyes open and examined together.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...tandards.shtml

Just download a Snellen chart, and print it off to determine your own visual acuity. The link below provides instructions:

http://www.mdsupport.org/snellen.html
Old May 8th 2012, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

chasingsun is an unknown quantity at this point

I am blind in my right eye and they never gave me a eye test when i switched my license, and i have not had an accident, I told them about the condition but they were not interested....