Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario Considering Retest for Drivers

Ontario Considering Retest for Drivers

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 10:27 pm
mickj

Default Ontario Considering Retest for Drivers

It seems we might have to retest every 5-10 yrs if the province has its way. I think its just another way to screw us all, we already have to pay $50 to renew every 5yrs, that is not the case in Europe. Anyone that drives along the GTA will know that the 401 needs more street lights for night driving, and it will help if it is halogen lights. Its just rdiculous that you have to pay for licence plate every year, renew your licence, pay high insurance.

http://www.canada.com/news/national/...8-0b639964d0cf

MTO website:

http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/ExchangeOutProv.aspx

Last edited by mickj; Apr 2nd 2004 at 11:21 pm.

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 10:39 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Ontario Considering Retest for Drivers

Originally posted by mickj
It seems we might have to retest every 5-10 yrs if the province has its way. I think its just another way to screw us all, we already have to pay $50 to renew every 5yrs, that is not the case in Europe.

http://www.canada.com/news/national/...8-0b639964d0cf

It is $75 to renew in BC
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

I've never thought much of this idea when it's been even lightly discussed here in the UK. Most of the bad driving that I see is in my opinion deliberate bad driving. These drivers take advantage of and rely on the fact that the majority of drivers will drive carefully allowing them to make their stupid manoeuvres. I think that most bad drivers will manage to pass a retest fairly easily and then then go back to bad driving after quite deliberately.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 12:42 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

Originally posted by stepnek
I've never thought much of this idea when it's been even lightly discussed here in the UK. Most of the bad driving that I see is in my opinion deliberate bad driving. These drivers take advantage of and rely on the fact that the majority of drivers will drive carefully allowing them to make their stupid manoeuvres. I think that most bad drivers will manage to pass a retest fairly easily and then then go back to bad driving after quite deliberately.
Just when I thought that Ontario had finally seen the light with regard to exchanging UK licences with ON ones, they go and suggest this.

Would this have any impact on the high insurance costs? Surely if every is retested they are deemed a good driver and high premiums should be a thing of the past. Perhaps I am being really silly at thinking such a thing, just call it women's logic!
Old Apr 4th 2004, 3:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Canada Jane
Would this have any impact on the high insurance costs? Surely if every is retested they are deemed a good driver and high premiums should be a thing of the past. Perhaps I am being really silly at thinking such a thing, just call it women's logic!

Your logic seems spot on to me but I think we'd all be silly to believe that it would reduce insurance premiums because the car driver is simply seen as a large and bountiful source of revenue.
Old Apr 4th 2004, 4:40 pm
mickj

For all you drivers in Alberta, here is the news:

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/04/02..._drivers040402

How much do you guys pay to renew your very secure drivers licence out there anyway?

Old Apr 6th 2004, 5:07 pm
Valley of the Sun

souls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to beholdsouls canuck is a splendid one to behold

its so annoying..

the plate costs about 80 bucks a yr
the license 50 every 5 yrs
and insurance just showed up on my doorstep.. "sorry, but we had to hike your rates again.. you wont mind, will you?"
bloody right! didnt I just read an article that insurance company made more money then ever before? so hows that? it went up.. lets see.. 13 a month.. okay, so its not bad, however, the car is a year older.. again.. and my record is spotless.. so.. why again?
Old Apr 6th 2004, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

How much do you guys pay to renew your very secure drivers licence out there anyway?
Renewals must be done every 5 years in Alberta and cost $62.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 1:32 pm

Canada Jane has disabled reputation

This has just been posted on Canada.com saying that it will not happen.

http://www.canada.com/national/story...7-bba15b4c0b7c
Old Apr 7th 2004, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Ontario Considering Retest for Drivers

I agree...so whats the answer?

I for one think that driving habits can only be improved in Ontario (and anywhere else in the world for that matter) by a far greater police presence on our roads, in combination with more rigerous enforcement of traffic laws by the police. offences such as speeding, red lights, careless/dangerous driving should all carry endorsements.

Painful for some...but in the long term, driving standards would improve, our roads would be a safer place to be for our families....and insurance rates would become more sensible...particularly for the 'safe' driver.

Simple solution...but would take condiderable police resources...which means goverment putting its money where its mouth is...so it will NEVER happen.

Raise the drivers perception to detection...and you get a better more responsible driver.

Now let the flood gates of outraged 'good' drivers' open....
Old Apr 7th 2004, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by macadian
I agree...so whats the answer?

I for one think that driving habits can only be improved in Ontario (and anywhere else in the world for that matter) by a far greater police presence on our roads, in combination with more rigerous enforcement of traffic laws by the police. offences such as speeding, red lights, careless/dangerous driving should all carry endorsements.

Painful for some...but in the long term, driving standards would improve, our roads would be a safer place to be for our families....and insurance rates would become more sensible...particularly for the 'safe' driver.

Simple solution...but would take condiderable police resources...which means goverment putting its money where its mouth is...so it will NEVER happen.

Raise the drivers perception to detection...and you get a better more responsible driver.

Now let the flood gates of outraged 'good' drivers' open....
I'm rather surprised by your last comment about the 'good drivers' and wondering why this would produce a flood of outrage... I'm a 'good driver' and wouldn't have a problem with this one for it surely wouldn;t affect me in the slightest! Having just completed a seven hour round trip to Saskatoon yesterday I was appauled by the level of driving (once again!). By the time I got to the city and wonding how I got there in one piece and then being harrassed by two big trucks it leaves one a bit non-plussed. One of the problems here I believe is the SGI system of insurance which does not take into account fault so both vehicles involved in an accident will pay hiked up insurance so there doesn't seem to be any accountability. I know this is not the case in other provinces and the driving is just as bad there.

Interestingly on Canada AM, the Alberta rep for CAA said he thought it was more likely that a 'selected portion' of people would be retested like older drivers and bad accident record holders rather than a blanket retest. Hope his voice of reason is heard.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Smokey
I'm rather surprised by your last comment about the 'good drivers' and wondering why this would produce a flood of outrage...
hI Smokey...

Perhaps something was lost in the translation of "Now let the flood gates of outraged 'good' drivers' open.... " It was meant to be very 'tongue in cheek'

I think it is fair to say that most drivers believe themselves to be 'good drivers'...and of course...many are. However, what we see on a daily basis would tend to point to the contrary.

I am typing this at my partners address in Toronto...returning to Scotland later today after a three week visit with her. I visit as often as possible pending my PR...and drive in the GTA a lot. I have got to say the standard is appalling more often than not. Tailgating, red light jumping, lane discipline (virtually none existent) lack of signal prior to manouvering, or signal AT TIME of manouver (no use whatsover) speeding in the city, rolling 'stops' et al seem to be the rule, rather than the exception. The tailgating explains why 'rearenders' are so common place.

As i say in my earlier post,,,the only thing that will improve the standard is enforcement...but i doubt the authorities have either the will or the resources to embark on such an initiative, and so it will remain as is, and probably deteriorate further.

Things are not perfect back home...but better than here.
As for me, I am far from the perfect driver but try to drive 'defensively'...its all you can do...or stay off the road.

Guess i better get used to it.....
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:30 pm
mickj

Originally posted by Canada Jane
This has just been posted on Canada.com saying that it will not happen.

http://www.canada.com/national/story...7-bba15b4c0b7c

Hello there,

Now that is a flippin' relief, can you imagine all the aggro' of making an appointment to take the test again, the nervousness, and the $75 for a full G.

If there was a retest though, many will fail. I get nitwits cutting me off without signalling, people not stopping at the stop signs, people playing cat and mouse near the 4way stops, i can go on

The next thing they can do now, is put more street lights on the 401, or scrap the yearly $85 licence plate fee.

Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

If there was a retest though, many will fail. I get nitwits cutting me off without signalling, people not stopping at the stop signs, people playing cat and mouse near the 4way stops, i can go on

But that's just it. As I said in my earlier post I don't believe that all that many people would fail a retest, although some maybe. In my opinion most bad driving is deliberate due to ignorance and a complete lack of concern for others and the desire to take advantage.

Once these people have taken a retest they'd go back to their bad ways. Once taught you don't forget how to signal or give way or that you aren't supposed to zig zag. People do it because they can. I agree with Macadian, tougher enforcement is required.
Old Apr 12th 2004, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

jonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to alljonthelad is a name known to all

But that's just it. As I said in my earlier post I don't believe that all that many people would fail a retest, although some maybe. In my opinion most bad driving is deliberate due to ignorance and a complete lack of concern for others and the desire to take advantage.

Once these people have taken a retest they'd go back to their bad ways. Once taught you don't forget how to signal or give way or that you aren't supposed to zig zag. People do it because they can. I agree with Macadian, tougher enforcement is required.
There has to be a factor of people just not caring about how they drive, whether they follow the rules of the road or not. It amazes me that on my commute to and from work, there is a certain stretch of road where, no matter what my speed, I will always have some idiot tailgating me, usually in a Ford F150 (sorry all those good Ford F150 drivers out there).

BTW I believe the reason insurance rates go up is because of inflated medical claims, general insurance company overheads and of course the fact that the cost of repairing a vehicle never goes down! However, I still think the overall rate of insurance premiums in Ontario is too high.

Y'see insurance is an odd beast. On the one hand, you must have insurance to have a car on the road, so insurance is providing a service. On the other, the insurance companies are businesses and as such are entitled to make a reasonable profit.... What's the answer? I wish I knew!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.