Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ontario Car Insurance

Ontario Car Insurance

Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:51 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ontario Car Insurance

I arrived in ON last week and today insured a '98 Saturn Station wagon for $1300 with Johnson.

I had a letter from my UK Insurance company saying I had 7 years no claims (even though not with them for the full 7 years) and also paid 5 pounds for a DVLA driver record.

I'm quite happy with that as only going to run the old car for the next 6 months and then will get a half decent car. I had heard all the horror stories and paying $4000 + and was worried but quite happy with that to start off with.

Not as cheap as I was paying in the UK but didn't expect it to be.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road

My question for everyone is this...

My husband just had a provisional drivers license in the UK - he came here and got his G1 after arriving, he waiting 6 months(while I taught him how to drive) to get his G2 - so he has a second level ontario driving license....he is 32 and has never had a speeding ticket or driving offense.

We need to ensure a second vehicle - any idea of the costs for him? I have had my driving license for 10 years - so my insuranc eis a bit high due to some accidents i've been in - but do you think he will be about the same rate? 200.00 per month?
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

just want to make you aware also..we moved to Ontario..i have a chev suburban 2008...my insurance was around $2000..i have to renew it it soon and because my husband has 7 tickets he cannot drive my car as the insurance company wont insure him..in this province they give u a insurance quote on the household not the individual..so cos of my husband i will be paying $3600 for 6 months..this was a shock for us..didnt realise it was quoted by the household.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
just want to make you aware also..we moved to Ontario..i have a chev suburban 2008...my insurance was around $2000..i have to renew it it soon and because my husband has 7 tickets he cannot drive my car as the insurance company wont insure him..in this province they give u a insurance quote on the household not the individual..so cos of my husband i will be paying $3600 for 6 months..this was a shock for us..didnt realise it was quoted by the household.
Get an excluded driver endorsement. The car can then be driven by anyone except your husband, who will be named on the policy documents, and the premium calculation will not include him.

It's a very common endorsement, used, for example, where the household includes teenagers and a selection of vehicles; the Ferrari policy will be endorsed to exclude Reckless Youth 1 and Reckless Youth 2. The other vehicles will, by default, be insured for any driver and every driver resident at the address will be used in the calculation.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Poolsadie will become famous soon enoughPoolsadie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by marcwales
This is what I feared!! Thats $9000 year!!!! Can't be right surely?? At $1.5 / £1, thats £6000!! For a Beetle. I could insure a Ferrari for that. I'm struggling with these figures as it shows insurance is a major part of outgoings. I could afford another mortgage on that!! With all other costs roughly the same as UK, this 10 x UK insurance is a massive hurdle. There must be a cheaper way surely? Especially as when I've been there I often see 2 car families. With insurance that expensive I'd of thought people could simply not afford it. I know I couldn't living here if insurance went up to that level. As mentioned before all other costs of living are very similar to here, so I have a reasonable comparison. Insurance just seems a massive outlay, god help anyone who makes a claim or two!!
Please keep the info coming..
We pay $245 for two cars (one vw jetta 2009 and chevy trailblazer 2003) I can give you the name of the broker I use, the insurance company is Dominion Canada. I live in Caledon so the premium is a little cheaper (a friend of mine lives in Brampton and pays more than that for one car)