Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

One year since Hurricane Juan

One year since Hurricane Juan

Old Sep 28th 2004, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough
Default One year since Hurricane Juan

Yes, I`m the weather nut on here as my signature will confirm

For those that didn`t realise, it has been one year since category 2 hurricane Juan came ashore in Nova Scotia, well officially landfall occured just after midnight but it`s near enough.

Eight people died as a result, and millions of dollars damage across a large swathe of NS and PEI. Many people went days without power, even weeks.

A few on here live in Nova Scotia, and maybe PEI, so I thought it would be nice to hear your thoughts and memories from that wild night?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: One year since Hurricane Juan

Originally Posted by BritBob
Yes, I`m the weather nut on here as my signature will confirm

For those that didn`t realise, it has been one year since category 2 hurricane Juan came ashore in Nova Scotia, well officially landfall occured just after midnight but it`s near enough.

Eight people died as a result, and millions of dollars damage across a large swathe of NS and PEI. Many people went days without power, even weeks.

A few on here live in Nova Scotia, and maybe PEI, so I thought it would be nice to hear your thoughts and memories from that wild night?

Since coming to Canada I've become a weather nut too. Something about Canada maybe???

My husband was here in Halifax while I was still in the Uk and beleive me I suffered more than him!! He was called into work in the military as they had to go to "foreign port" standings and have near enough a full crew onboard the submarine just in case they had to pull out to sea. He spent the 4 hours of the storm led in his rack (bunk) and slept through all of it!! I spent 4 hours in the Uk scared to death for him and when I called at 8am our time to ask how the storm was his reply was "what storm???" It felt as though the boat
was lulling from side to side but I guess it made him feel like he was baby again being rocked off to sleep!

I was very lucky to see Point Pleasant Park in downtown Halifax a few months before the storm hit so I got to see it in its full bloom but to look at it now is so sad. Apparently it will take so long to regrow all the trees and we will never see it again in its full bloom in our lifetime.

Although I wasn't here for the actual hurricane I have seen the aftermath and I feel so much for the poor people in Florida and the islands.
Old Sep 29th 2004, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough

Interesting story there ukjo. Actually I think the weather thing is more of British thing!

Wow, just noticed I`ve been a member of this board nearly two years :scared: Those were the days!!
Old Sep 29th 2004, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritBob
Interesting story there ukjo. Actually I think the weather thing is more of British thing!

Wow, just noticed I`ve been a member of this board nearly two years :scared: Those were the days!!
No sorry got to disagree with you It is most definately a Canadian thing...they are absolutely obsessed here!!!lol
Old Sep 29th 2004, 4:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukjo
No sorry got to disagree with you It is most definately a Canadian thing...they are absolutely obsessed here!!!lol
Guess you've never spoke to dutch people?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Toontje
Guess you've never spoke to dutch people?

They speak double dutch!!!!LOL
Old Sep 29th 2004, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

funny you should mention this as this is what were talking about last night. We were at a friends cabin waiting for Hurricane Juan....it was really windy and it rainned off and on. It was amazing to watch the trees swaying and bending. We figured it had missed Nova Scotia....since I live 2 hours outside halifax Dartmouth. When we arrived home there were all these frantic messages on my machine, from different family members and friends. They were letting us know they may be evacuated. I turned the telly on and was so amazed to see what was going on. I also remember it being warm, almost sultry!! We gave refuge to some of our city friends that had no power for weeks. Nova Scotia really got pooped on last year, what with the spring floods then a hurricane then a blizzard....wonder what will happen this winter?
Old Sep 29th 2004, 8:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Corky
Nova Scotia really got pooped on last year, what with the spring floods then a hurricane then a blizzard....wonder what will happen this winter?
I really don't want to think about it!!!!!!!!! :scared: