Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

is this one reason why you left the UK?

is this one reason why you left the UK?

Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:38 pm
  #31  
Gone Walkabout
 
Scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 611
Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by dingbat
Good grief. I hope you don't have children.
Have you seen the way these little sods behave??

I am not sure that corporal punishment is the answer, but the sooner some kids are taught respect, the better.

The number of teachers leaving the profession is staggering, and the reason given is normally the same....'We do not have enough control.'

If a child is given the option of behaving well, or behaving badly, very few will choose the former. They will push the envelope as far as they can. Hell, we all tried it, but most of us caught a swift clip around the earhole for our troubles!!

There are many times when I think 'I am in the wrong job', but I have NEVER thought 'I wish I was a teacher!!' :scared:

I would probably be serving a life sentence by now if I had!!
Scouse is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:41 pm
  #32  
BE Enthusiast
 
Patsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 353
Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Jeanetteuk1
I also think that there should be some sort of punishment that will act as a deterrant, so that they would think twice about what they are doing.(in a mainstream school).
I just cant understand why kids are like this today. I wont go down the route of when i was young.....!
Does anyone agree with me, that when you read something like...."i cant understand why kids are like this today?" that here is a desperate call for parental training of some sort? Some parents (and this is true) do not know how to bring chilldren up, do not know how to discipline a child without losing respect and fear losing any love from their child if they reprimand them. Sad but true. Parents and especially one parent families fear that if they are not on the side of the child, regardless of what the child's attitudes and views are towards school and education, will result in the child turning against them.
Go against teachers, education, the system and even society but pleeeeeeease dont go against me!
Patsy is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2005, 10:52 pm
  #33  
BE Enthusiast
 
Patsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 353
Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Scouse
Have you seen the way these little sods behave??

I am not sure that corporal punishment is the answer, but the sooner some kids are taught respect, the better.

The number of teachers leaving the profession is staggering, and the reason given is normally the same....'We do not have enough control.'

If a child is given the option of behaving well, or behaving badly, very few will choose the former. They will push the envelope as far as they can. Hell, we all tried it, but most of us caught a swift clip around the earhole for our troubles!!

There are many times when I think 'I am in the wrong job', but I have NEVER thought 'I wish I was a teacher!!' :scared:

I would probably be serving a life sentence by now if I had!!
Surprising enough, if you give the child the option to behave well or behave badly, the majority will behave well.....its how you do it. If you tell a child off for behaving badly, theyre embarrassed and retaliate, if you say something like 'if you continue to behave the way you do, this will happen to u, however if u decide to behave well this will happen......its psychology and works!! try it...oh the best bit is when u say ....'u decide' its then their option....
still think parents have a lot to answer for!..........a lot of kids are a pleasure to teach....your lot for instance
Patsy is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:05 pm
  #34  
Gone Walkabout
 
Scouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 611
Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Patsy
Surprising enough, if you give the child the option to behave well or behave badly, the majority will behave well.....its how you do it. If you tell a child off for behaving badly, theyre embarrassed and retaliate, if you say something like 'if you continue to behave the way you do, this will happen to u, however if u decide to behave well this will happen......its psychology and works!! try it...oh the best bit is when u say ....'u decide' its then their option....
still think parents have a lot to answer for!..........a lot of kids are a pleasure to teach....your lot for instance
I wish I could believe that, but unfortunately the results of years of laissez faire education are taking their toll.

The future of the UK, if present trends are anything to go by, is bleak indeed!!
Scouse is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:19 pm
  #35  
BE Enthusiast
 
Patsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 353
Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Scouse
I wish I could believe that, but unfortunately the results of years of laissez faire education are taking their toll.

The future of the UK, if present trends are anything to go by, is bleak indeed!!
yeah i do intend to agree........it works if a) you're a good teacher and b) if you can get the disruptive ones on your side so u can get the chance to say that.....once u do however it does work..ive tried it.....................kids are not all bad,,,, they actually like discipline and like to know where theyre going.......for some reason kids enter secondary school with a low self esteem....those who have high self eseem pretend they havent to please peers.........puzzling
Patsy is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:25 pm
  #36  
BE Enthusiast
 
Patsy's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 353
Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Patsy
yeah i do intend to agree........it works if a) you're a good teacher and b) if you can get the disruptive ones on your side so u can get the chance to say that.....once u do however it does work..ive tried it.....................kids are not all bad,,,, they actually like discipline and like to know where theyre going.......for some reason kids enter secondary school with a low self esteem....those who have high self eseem pretend they havent to please peers.........puzzling
anyway must leave this forum now......have some lesson plans to do.........and God help me...theyve got to be exciting or the kids will sue me for boredom
Patsy is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:36 pm
  #37  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: London Ontario
Posts: 453
Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Patsy
it works if a) you're a good teacher and b) if you can get the disruptive ones on your side so u can get the chance to say that.....once u do however it does work..ive tried it.....................kids are not all bad,,,, they actually like discipline and like to know where theyre going
I agree Patsy. My first year of teaching was in inner-city Glasgow as a supply teacher - you could almost see the rascals rubbing their hands in glee! It was more worrying when the teachers in the staffroom started looking at you with pity, saying "good luck - you're going to need it!"

I haven't had a chance to teach here in Ontario yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing whether there are any differences in the kids. I've a funny feeling that it will depend on the area the school is in and what kind of parenting the kids get more than whether they are British or Canadian.

Chris
Tom Masters is offline  
Old Apr 24th 2005, 11:51 pm
  #38  
Glasgow Rangers
 
Voyager970's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 1,543
Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Maybe not related

I have worked in the Scottish Prison Service for the last 10 years

When I started in 1995. One of the older guys who was about to retire used to talk and have a laugh with the kids of the prisoners.

Before he left he said to me.

" All these wee rugrats will be your future bread and butter "

You know that saying is true. I work with guys who have dealt with the fathers of prisoners just now, and now we are dealing with their kids.

It seems to be a vicious social circle that these kids grow up in.

Eddie
Voyager970 is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 2:27 am
  #39  
Cynically amused.
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: BC
Posts: 3,648
dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Scouse
Have you seen the way these little sods behave??

I am not sure that corporal punishment is the answer, but the sooner some kids are taught respect, the better.

The number of teachers leaving the profession is staggering, and the reason given is normally the same....'We do not have enough control.'

If a child is given the option of behaving well, or behaving badly, very few will choose the former. They will push the envelope as far as they can. Hell, we all tried it, but most of us caught a swift clip around the earhole for our troubles!!

There are many times when I think 'I am in the wrong job', but I have NEVER thought 'I wish I was a teacher!!' :scared:

I would probably be serving a life sentence by now if I had!!

Yes, I know exactly how "these little sods behave". I deal with the aftermath of poor parenting and "it's someone else's responsibility" attitude every day of my working life.... The post I responded to called these kids "scum". These kids are not "scum". They are what they are made to be by the people who raise them. And yes, I have also been a teacher (albeit a long time ago when I first graduated). If you think the same families are not here, you are living in cloud cuckoo land.
dingbat is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 6:50 am
  #40  
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 7,715
hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
"In Canada there is no word for Chav..."
Not one word but two: white trash.
Aka trash, trailer trash, mouth-breathers and rednecks! Lots of fun.
hot wasabi peas is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:18 am
  #41  
Class 1 Driver and Nurse
 
andy_sheila's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kentville, N.S.
Posts: 1,498
andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

when I stand in the corridor waiting to collect my 8 year old and hear the other mothers talking........
one says 'don't you f****n dare, you little sh*****d'
another says 'get the f**k over hear you little d******d'
.....this to their children, who are under 11 years old
that's one reason we're leaving the UK, I don't want my kids growing up thinking that kind of behaviour is normal
andy_sheila is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 7:42 am
  #42  
BE Enthusiast
 
getoutofbritainquick's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Victoria
Posts: 573
getoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nicegetoutofbritainquick is just really nice
Red face Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by flashman
Maybe there are no leaders setting an example either in terms of ethics or morals.
I think you hit the nail on right on the head. In every leadership training course I have ever had they always quote the a saying '......... the lowest standard you set is the highest standard you can expect everyone else to achieve'.
There is no leadership in the UK anymore. Politicians lie every day and is seen as an acceptable part of politics so what chance do the rest stand?

Can't blame teachers for wanting to give up can you?

Looking forward to another 5 years of a this goverment with relish!!!!!
getoutofbritainquick is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:30 am
  #43  
BE Enthusiast
 
joelsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Just outside Calgary
Posts: 513
joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Punks, back in the day and in the true sense of the word, at least had some ideology or belief, which however negatively perceived, many people developed out of that mentality and this in itself resulted in leading fashion, innovative minimalist design and art, an ideology that had a certain attitude to 'smash up the old way' and focused strongly on "anti-traditionalism". which for many means progress. Bono and Geldof grew out of punk mentality and look at their positive impact on politics and globalisation. Bono is a world leader for me, a truly great man with such potential to change the world.

In the same way the hippy evolved into a business focus of democracy, empowerment, progress, environmental conscience, caring and sharing, profit sharing, recycling, green energy, etc. Some of the most progressive business minds many from the ex-hippy class or influenced by them, taking progressive business and management thinking into the boardroom and to market, and kicking the old boy network / stuffy male chauvenist authoritarian control freak / old school tie brigade into the corporate rubbish bin. Doing all this whilst still turning a profit, proving that sharing can work. Greed isn't always good.

The chav, however, cannot articulate anything and stands for nothing. It is the new underclass, tasteless, violent, brutish, and more nihilistic in values than any punk ideology. Nothing to contribute, nothing to say. Grunting, smashing and puking it's way through post adolescent life.

Sad and desperate as it is, the future of Britian is truly chav, unless things change very quickly. Witness the offspring of the chav and chavette, the next phase of degeneration. All this brought about by a Labour government that had so much potential and has done so much positive work, yet leaves a wide gulf between good and bad people.

Very very sad.

Rich.

What a great post and sadly very true, i've often wondered how our society is going to 'mutate'(can't think of another description, sorry)and there sadly seems little hope for this country sometimes.
A worrying thought when you have young children.
Jo xx
joelsa is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 11:42 am
  #44  
BE Enthusiast
 
joelsa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Just outside Calgary
Posts: 513
joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Jeanetteuk1
I also think that there should be some sort of punishment that will act as a deterrant, so that they would think twice about what they are doing.(in a mainstream school).
I just cant understand why kids are like this today. I wont go down the route of when i was young.....!

I think it's because we had the threat of the cane!
Jo xx
joelsa is offline  
Old Apr 25th 2005, 1:59 pm
  #45  
MCC
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Halifax, NS
Posts: 94
MCC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

This is one of our reasons to go too. My husband is a secondary school maths teacher. He's fed up of spending far more time doing class room management than teaching.

My daughter is 4 and will be starting school in Sept. We are not very happy to send her to normal state school with what we see around here. At least if things are not any better in Canada (and we hope they are) we will be able to afford private school over there
MCC is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.