Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

is this one reason why you left the UK?

is this one reason why you left the UK?

Old Apr 24th 2005, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all
Default Re: is this one reason why you left the UK?

Originally Posted by Becs
That's sick beyond words. Why the heck weren't the parents called in and given a good thrashing instead?

-Becs
why the heck weren't the parents called in? Are you kidding? The parents of the disruptive are never available when you want them. They are sure to contact you tho if you happen to tell their darling child off for talking on their mobile phone during the lesson and if you take it from them? phewwwwww The parents of the disruptive children (in my opinion) are the ones who hated school themselves, hated teachers and encourage their children to get their own back thru them!!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 2:29 pm
Z3M
Banned

Z3M will become famous soon enough

Most of these kids are scum and so are there parents who let them get away with it .all it needs is proper people who are not so bloody pc .where theres blame theres a claim folk get on my nerves all the kids need is a good pasting now and again instead of being wrapped in cotton wool by the authorities.no wonder this place is knackered when all you see is scum everywhere ,bad lads army was something that a lot of these little bastards should go to and then watch them bawl there eyes out.there soft as shit when it boils down to it
Old Apr 24th 2005, 5:41 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Z3M
Most of these kids are scum and so are there parents who let them get away with it .all it needs is proper people who are not so bloody pc .where theres blame theres a claim folk get on my nerves all the kids need is a good pasting now and again instead of being wrapped in cotton wool by the authorities.no wonder this place is knackered when all you see is scum everywhere ,bad lads army was something that a lot of these little bastards should go to and then watch them bawl there eyes out.there soft as shit when it boils down to it
Hey, don't p*ss about Z3M..... tell us what you REALLY think!!!

If anything deserves Karma, that does!!!

Last edited by Scouse; Apr 24th 2005 at 5:50 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 5:53 pm
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

[QUOTE=Craftybanshee]Thanks Scouse ....QUOTE]

You are most welcome!!!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 6:30 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Z3M

but going to back to the very original post - she said she secretly filimed in "middle class" areas

I think Morwenna was very eloquent about this - and to add to what she wrote (and I know I said this before) in the UK parents will say that they "know their rights" - yes, but in Canada they know their responsibilities too!

Clare
Old Apr 24th 2005, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

The big difference between Canada and the UK which may explain this is Religion. Compared to the UK, Canada is still quite a religious country and people here are brought up to respect others and be an all round good person. I'm not particularly religious myself, but I believe this is why people (children especially) are better behaved here. I live in the Greek area of Toronto and the orthodox church round the corner is regularly packed.
In many parts of the UK, awful parenting, a breakdown in law and order and total lack of any spiritual or moral guidance has resulted in the situation we have today.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

seacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant futureseacreature has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Z3M
Most of these kids are scum and so are there parents who let them get away with it .
I agree. I don't really know what can be done about it as it now seems to be engrained into British society.
You get the odd low-life here in Toronto, but overall the problem is nowhere near as bad in Britain.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:28 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

It would be so easy if a social problem only had one or two causes but most social problems don't and it's from that perspective that I add the role of the teacher.

When I was a kid (in Canada, no corporal punishment allowed at my very normal school), there were some teachers that just didn't know how to control a classroom of kids and those who did. Kids know the difference and will jump on it. Example from my own childhood -- during math class with Mr Price or science with Ms Lang we kids were focused, respectful and behaved - next hour into Mr Green's English class and all hell would break loose. I and the rest of my classmates did things in his class that we wouldn't dream of doing in Mr Price's or Ms Lang's classrooms. That teacher, Mr Green, resigned half way through the year and I hope he went into a field he was better suited for because it sure wasn't teaching. I'm not putting the entire blame on teachers here just adding another possibility to the multitude of likely causes for disruptive behaviour in school - not all teachers know how to demand respect and control a classroom, not all teachers are great teachers.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:52 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ClareBC
but going to back to the very original post - she said she secretly filimed in "middle class" areas

I think Morwenna was very eloquent about this - and to add to what she wrote (and I know I said this before) in the UK parents will say that they "know their rights" - yes, but in Canada they know their responsibilities too!

Clare
...interesting thread, I'm a maths teacher in a middle to upper middle class secondary school and although I was considering a move to Canada before starting teaching for various reasons mentioned all over these forums, teaching helped me make a final decision... I received confirmation that my (canadian) wife has been accepted as a sponsor and I should have my visa in about 2 months which means I won't have to go back in September.

I spend about half my time on crowd control and half on teaching and this is not an acceptable ratio as far as I'm concerned. The thing which annoys/worries/upsets me more than anything is the lack of respect and overt rudeness displayed by what is becoming a critically large percentage of students.

I have decided to repay my student loan (which the gov was repaying due to maths being a shortage subject) and ditch the "golden hello" due in December because it just isn't worth it (Tony Blair and Ruth Kelly can split that and shove it up their respective ....s).

I have two you children and can not allow them to join this education system or remain in UK society. I think I'm starting to rant, still it's just good to see other people have the same views as I do...

When people ask why I'm leaving I usually sum it as "In Canada there is no word for Chav..."

Mark
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seacreature
In many parts of the UK, awful parenting, a breakdown in law and order and total lack of any spiritual or moral guidance has resulted in the situation we have today.

Maybe there are no leaders setting an example either in terms of ethics or morals.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:32 pm
Account Closed

ClosedAccount-xyz is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just finished a 3 day course last week on physical intervention.
Obviously in my job in an special needs school, it is good to have just in case we are assaulted.Some of our kids are severe disability and will think nothing of punching you!we now know how to intervene without harming/hurting them which is great.
but what is scary is that they are also training normal school staff on how to intervene and restrain.
So if a child does say "you can't touch me" actually you can!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

wensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nicewensamjam is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jeanetteuk1
I have just finished a 3 day course last week on physical intervention.
Obviously in my job in an special needs school, it is good to have just in case we are assaulted.Some of our kids are severe disability and will think nothing of punching you!we now know how to intervene without harming/hurting them which is great.
but what is scary is that they are also training normal school staff on how to intervene and restrain.
So if a child does say "you can't touch me" actually you can!
Hi Jeanetteuk,
I also work in a special needs school, mainly the kids are severly impaired in all differnt ways, none are too seriously violent. But I have worked in Referral units with kids of primary age where they are very violent, I have been kicked punched and bitten by kids as young as 5. We also have to restrain them without touching the skin, which is not as easy as it sounds. I would personally bring back corporal punishment in main stream schools, then maybe we wouldn't have these referral units, which are now being shut down all over the country.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:47 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Z3M

Good grief. I hope you don't have children.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

ClosedAccount-xyz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wensamjam
Hi Jeanetteuk,
I also work in a special needs school, mainly the kids are severly impaired in all differnt ways, none are too seriously violent. But I have worked in Referral units with kids of primary age where they are very violent, I have been kicked punched and bitten by kids as young as 5. We also have to restrain them without touching the skin, which is not as easy as it sounds. I would personally bring back corporal punishment in main stream schools, then maybe we wouldn't have these referral units, which are now being shut down all over the country.
I also think that there should be some sort of punishment that will act as a deterrant, so that they would think twice about what they are doing.(in a mainstream school).
I just cant understand why kids are like this today. I wont go down the route of when i was young.....!
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:36 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

"These kids are scum" ? Possibly, but they were not born scum, they were made so.

I sometimes watch those programmes where "uncontrollable" toddlers and very young children are "sorted out" by an expert. For every child that screams when not getting their way, lashes out in temper, or uses foul language, when they video the parents you can see exactly whose behaviour they are imitating!

The other main problem is usually that the kids are never set any firm and consistent guidelines or boundaries, and that behaviour which is tolerated or ignored one minute is slammed the next.

An over-riding feature is also the lack of positive affirmation for "good" behaviour. The kid gets attention only for being "bad", and no reward whatsoever for being "good", so why bother?

Agreed, in the classroom some teachers are much better able than others to keep the attention and therefore the control of a class, but if they at least start with the baseline of kids coming to school expecting to listen and learn instead of being in competition with the teacher, then at least the less assertive teachers will stand a chance!

If people try to guess my occupation, I am often mistaken for a teacher (only cos I'm bossy ) but I certainly do not envy the teachers of today, .... or indeed the ones of yesterday

I take my hat off to the lot of you!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.