British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Omg im moving !!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/omg-im-moving-474363/)

megmog Aug 15th 2007 7:38 pm

Omg im moving !!!!

Heyy my name is meg and im twelve.i am really scared about moving to canada.if you have just moved there please tell me what it is like :D

meg xx

MandD Aug 15th 2007 7:43 pm

Re: Omg im moving !!!!

Hi I am Maxine, i'm nearly 11 and I am moving to Canada too, I am really excitied but a wee bit scared too.:confused:
Where are you moving to?
Maxine

megmog Aug 17th 2007 11:26 am

Hi Maxine

I am moving to Alberta. Whereabouts r u going to? If you want we can chat on The Youth Club. I will be on and off through the day today. Hope to speak to you soon.x:)

MandD Aug 17th 2007 11:37 am

Hi Megmog
this is Maxine's mum here
Maxine is at school...we go back to school early up here in Scotland.
We are heading to Calgary hopefully beginning of next year.
She will post a message on herself later on.

megmog Aug 17th 2007 11:48 am

Hi there, this is Megans mum, thanks for replying to her, it would be nice for Meg to talk to someone her own age who is also very nervous about moving to Canada. You won't be too far from us over there, well I say that in Canadian miles, we are going to Peace River, which is about 7/8 hours drive north of Calgary. Best of luck with everything. Let us know how you get on, and any tips you can pass on and vice versa. Cathy. My username is Tom and Jerry (how original).

fionamst Aug 17th 2007 4:11 pm

Hi ladies

We came to Drayton Valley, Alberta (85km SW of Edmonton) in 2005 with our 11 year old daughter and our 13 year old son and I was a bit worried about them but they bounced back perfectly.

The schools here are well set up for new kids because Canadians move about alot so the schools will generally set your child up with a buddy to keep them right about things in school and its amazing how soon they act and sound like Canadians. Outside of schools communities have a lot of activities and clubs the kids can join and generally not too expensive although Hockey can be pricey with all the gear etc

I have to say it was the best thing we did for our kids coming here, our daughter has tried most things and loves basketball best so is school junior girls team captain, she is also an honors student which means all her grades are above 80% in fact most are over 90% a huge difference from Scotland she seems to be more challenged here and rises to it.
Our son has Aspergers syndrome (high functioning Autism) and in Scotland he got very little help in school end result he was lucky if any of his marks reached 50% here he has class help (Teachers aide) and as a result his lowest mark was 49% but that was gym the rest were between 60 and 70% and he seems more settled.

So I would say just encourage them to have a go at things and they will be fine, in my experience the teachers here take an interest in your child and are happy to discuss any concerns which I didn't feel in Scotland it was always a hassle if you went into talk to them.

Hope this helps
Fiona

tom and jerry Aug 17th 2007 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by fionamst (Post 5202882)
Hi ladies

We came to Drayton Valley, Alberta (85km SW of Edmonton) in 2005 with our 11 year old daughter and our 13 year old son and I was a bit worried about them but they bounced back perfectly.

The schools here are well set up for new kids because Canadians move about alot so the schools will generally set your child up with a buddy to keep them right about things in school and its amazing how soon they act and sound like Canadians. Outside of schools communities have a lot of activities and clubs the kids can join and generally not too expensive although Hockey can be pricey with all the gear etc

I have to say it was the best thing we did for our kids coming here, our daughter has tried most things and loves basketball best so is school junior girls team captain, she is also an honors student which means all her grades are above 80% in fact most are over 90% a huge difference from Scotland she seems to be more challenged here and rises to it.
Our son has Aspergers syndrome (high functioning Autism) and in Scotland he got very little help in school end result he was lucky if any of his marks reached 50% here he has class help (Teachers aide) and as a result his lowest mark was 49% but that was gym the rest were between 60 and 70% and he seems more settled.

So I would say just encourage them to have a go at things and they will be fine, in my experience the teachers here take an interest in your child and are happy to discuss any concerns which I didn't feel in Scotland it was always a hassle if you went into talk to them.

Hope this helps
Fiona

Hi Fiona

Thanks so much for your message. It is so nice to hear about your childrens experience re schooling etc, it is a big worry. But what you have said is very reassuring, my daughter is 12 coming up 13 and the school is her biggest worry, i.e. making friends and what they wear, her being a fish out of water basically. You say your son has Aspergers, did you have any problem with that as far as immigration was concerned? Again, thanks for your advice.

ann m Aug 17th 2007 6:29 pm

Hi megmog - I have a 9 year old who did a few weeks at school before the summer break - and is just busting to get back to it! She had already settled in very well - and on balance, the whole school 'thing' is good. You will enjoy it. Don't be nervous. Good luck :thumbsup:

fionamst Aug 18th 2007 2:27 am

Hi Cathy

With regards to what they wear at school its just casual dress jeans and sweatshirts etc the school will give you their dress code when you enroll basically our schools don't allow spaghetti straps, rude or offensive t-shirts.

With regards to my son's aspergers we basically wrote down he had aspergers on all the forms we had and when it came to doing the medical we told them but didn't have any school reports or psychariatrist reports so were asked to supply further info and we did we gave them everything we could lay our hands on including a letter from his school principle saying they had no problems with him behaviour wise and he was doing well. We are now just waiting for our PR to come through after some confusion over our Scottish Police checks with all the info rather then on MET Police paper.

Fiona

WelshDragonsWales Aug 18th 2007 5:59 am

Hi all

I am mum of Suzi and Adam. Suzi is 12 and Adam 16. We will be around the Calgary area and both kidlets are really looking forward to moving over - they can't wait , not sure who is the most excited us or them :D.

Suzi would love to email some girlies and share the moving experience with them. If yr daughters would like to chat with her let me know and we can put them all in touch with eachother.

I know some of you are already there - what are your moving dates for those still this side of the water?

Cheers

Dawn

megmog Aug 18th 2007 9:32 am

Originally Posted by WelshDragonsWales (Post 5205083)
Hi all

I am mum of Suzi and Adam. Suzi is 12 and Adam 16. We will be around the Calgary area and both kidlets are really looking forward to moving over - they can't wait , not sure who is the most excited us or them :D.

Suzi would love to email some girlies and share the moving experience with them. If yr daughters would like to chat with her let me know and we can put them all in touch with eachother.

I know some of you are already there - what are your moving dates for those still this side of the water?

Cheers

Dawn

hii i would like to speak to your daugter to.
she can email me on <removed>

fanxx megz x

tom and jerry Aug 18th 2007 11:37 am

Originally Posted by fionamst (Post 5204751)
Hi Cathy

With regards to what they wear at school its just casual dress jeans and sweatshirts etc the school will give you their dress code when you enroll basically our schools don't allow spaghetti straps, rude or offensive t-shirts.

With regards to my son's aspergers we basically wrote down he had aspergers on all the forms we had and when it came to doing the medical we told them but didn't have any school reports or psychariatrist reports so were asked to supply further info and we did we gave them everything we could lay our hands on including a letter from his school principle saying they had no problems with him behaviour wise and he was doing well. We are now just waiting for our PR to come through after some confusion over our Scottish Police checks with all the info rather then on MET Police paper.

Fiona

Hi
Fiona, it sounds like you are out there on temp visa right now, awaiting PR. If so has it been easier than applying from UK do you think?

tom and jerry Aug 18th 2007 11:45 am

Originally Posted by WelshDragonsWales (Post 5205083)
Hi all

Cheers

Dawn

Hi Dawn

Have sent you a PM

WelshDragonsWales Aug 18th 2007 1:46 pm

got it loud and clear :D

have PM you back with suzi email address so they can chat .....

How will i ever get a go on the computer now :p

Dawn

fionamst Aug 18th 2007 8:04 pm

Hi Cathy
Yes we are here on temp visa waiting for PR through the PNP can't honestly answer weather its easier then applying from UK as havent done it that way, also we had lawyers helping us as my husbands employer wasn't too sure about the PNP and our son has Aspergers syndrome so we wanted someone who could advise us. The plus point is we are here living our dream while we are waiting for PR which going by what family say about life back in Scotland is the best thing we could have done. Fingers crossed we should hear about PR very soon as final police check sent away about a month ago.

Fiona