Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Olympic Medals Table - Which is Correct?

Olympic Medals Table - Which is Correct?

Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold
Default Olympic Medals Table - Which is Correct?

At the time of writing, the BBC shows Great Britain in 3rd place in the Olympic table with 11 gold medals and a total of 25 medals.

However, the Canadian news media shows Australia in third place with only 8 gold medals but an increased total of 29 medals. Four more than GB.

The BBC is compiling the table based on the most amount of gold medals, then the most silver, and then bronze.

The Canadian media is compiling the table based on the total amount of medals.

I think the BBC is correct. Anyone else have any opinions?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Olympic Medals Table - Which is Correct?

Originally Posted by johnh009

Is it really that important?
Old Aug 17th 2008, 11:22 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
LOL - they were the very same words that popped into my head as well !
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

No, but then what is on this forum. Certainly not comparitive grocery shopping in Calgary as you seem to think.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:20 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

At the time of writing, the BBC shows Great Britain in 3rd place in the Olympic table with 11 gold medals and a total of 25 medals.

However, the Canadian news media shows Australia in third place with only 8 gold medals but an increased total of 29 medals. Four more than GB.

The BBC is compiling the table based on the most amount of gold medals, then the most silver, and then bronze.

The "official" Olympic website is consistent with the BBC (as is Wikipedia, which follows that format for every Olympics, FWIW). However, the "official" site seems to be run out of China, so it's in their interst to place China ahead of the USA, following the total golds, then silvers, etc format.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

babsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond reputebabsi has a reputation beyond repute

It's always been # of gold medals over total medals.

I hardly read Canadian media as it is saccharine but I know the BBC website is 99.9% correct and they go out of their way to be correct.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:04 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

No, but then what is on this forum.
Touché
Certainly not comparitive grocery shopping in Calgary as you seem to think.
Awww now you're just being vindictive.

Perhaps not to you, but it maybe of more interest to someone who is moving to Calgary or Alberta than who has more medals at the Olympics.

Last edited by Steve_P; Aug 18th 2008 at 3:12 am.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Touché

Awww now you're just being vindictive.

Perhaps not to you, but it maybe of more interest to someone who is moving to Calgary or Alberta than who has more medals at the Olympics.
Well, no, not vindictive. I just thought that given the large amount of media coverage this event is getting, the compilation of an accurate, and consistent, medals table would be appropriate and that GB is not receiving credit for their performance.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

Which Canadian news media are you referring to? Not that I'm defending news media but the CBC and the Globe & Mail are both showing the medal standings based on the number of golds and not as you suggest.

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/
http://www.globesports.com/beijing2008/#widgetTab
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by pint princess
Which Canadian news media are you referring to? Not that I'm defending news media but the CBC and the Globe & Mail are both showing the medal standings based on the number of golds and not as you suggest.

http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/
http://www.globesports.com/beijing2008/#widgetTab
CTV - Newsnet, as I speak (or write), Australia is third.

Last edited by johnh009; Aug 18th 2008 at 3:40 am.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

pint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud ofpint princess has much to be proud of

CTV - Newsnet, as I speak (or write), Australia is third.

I was really just highlighting the irony of your post.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:19 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
The "official" Olympic website is consistent with the BBC (as is Wikipedia, which follows that format for every Olympics, FWIW). However, the "official" site seems to be run out of China, so it's in their interst to place China ahead of the USA, following the total golds, then silvers, etc format.
even the Aussie press has them in 5th.

nbc.com and yahoo.com has them third.

it seems to me, a medal table becomes a medal count when it suits.