Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Old SIN number, do returning canadians keep theirs?

Old SIN number, do returning canadians keep theirs?

Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

angie123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old SIN number, do returning canadians keep theirs?

I have a sin number from living in Canada. If and when I return will i continue to use the old one? Does this number stay with you forever? As far as the canadian government is concerned, I am dead and in fact they have advised my family that they think i am dead as i left for the UK quite quickly to go to school there. Now i want to return, can i just re-establish that number or would it be easier to apply for a new one?

thanks again, great forum!!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old SIN number, do returning canadians keep theirs?

SIN is for life.

There a motto to live life by
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

well, as a lapsed catholic, it sure has been drilled into me to believe it!
Originally Posted by iaink
SIN is for life.

There a motto to live life by
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angie123
well, as a lapsed catholic, it sure has been drilled into me to believe it!
Catholic is as good as it gets, just ask for absolution and carry on as before
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

It is a coincidence that you ask this because I just last week contacted SIN about my old SIN number. I left Canada in 1993 and kept my card all this time. I assumed it was dormat so went to the local office to reactivate it. Turns out that the term dormat is a new one and only applies to people who haven't used their SIN since 2000, so my card was perfectly fine and applicable. This fact caused great interest in the local office and they all discussed how this wasn't part of the training they went through to learn the new computer system (very new so a lot of people are just making their way through it). I was in the office for over an hour about this because they couldn't get the computer to say anything about my card (because it wasn't dormat we learned). So if you have been out of the country before 2000 and haven't used it since I would just assume your SIN is current. However, I do point out that I wasn't considered dead at any point (even though I left the country in a big hurry too and never went back--strange that they have killed you off but not me) so it might be worth a visit to your local office BUT I would be tempted to just carry on until someone tells you otherwise because who wants to spend time in a government office when you don't have to.

The other big time waster at the office was that the person tried to change some of my details on my original application (done back in the 70's) like my father's name (I had left it blank originally) and the computer just wouldn't let them go further because no changes are allowed, so if you end up in your local office don't let them change any of the details if they look you up. There is a number to call but they just referred me to my local office. The number is 1 800 206 7218.

Good luck with your return to Canada if you decide to do so. I have found it strange but interesting. This country is just not set up for people who spend long periods abroad (I could barely get broadband because I haven't been in BC for 12 months!). Also, everyone sounds like Bob and Doug McKenzie and I have already started to sound like them myself after being here only two weeks!! Everyone is very friendly and helpful compared to where I used to live (Australia) and everyone has welcomed us with open arms (we are in a tiny town so maybe that makes a difference).
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

thank you for that! Very helpful. So what you are saying is that even though i left long long ago, i can still use my sin number. Good! or bad as the case may be if they think i am dead!

Is the bureaucracy as bad in canada as i think it is? Here in the UK, i dont think we are as up on bureaucracy yet. I just have this feeling that canada is teeming with bureaucracy.

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
It is a coincidence that you ask this because I just last week contacted SIN about my old SIN number. I left Canada in 1993 and kept my card all this time. I assumed it was dormat so went to the local office to reactivate it. Turns out that the term dormat is a new one and only applies to people who haven't used their SIN since 2000, so my card was perfectly fine and applicable. This fact caused great interest in the local office and they all discussed how this wasn't part of the training they went through to learn the new computer system (very new so a lot of people are just making their way through it). I was in the office for over an hour about this because they couldn't get the computer to say anything about my card (because it wasn't dormat we learned). So if you have been out of the country before 2000 and haven't used it since I would just assume your SIN is current. However, I do point out that I wasn't considered dead at any point (even though I left the country in a big hurry too and never went back--strange that they have killed you off but not me) so it might be worth a visit to your local office BUT I would be tempted to just carry on until someone tells you otherwise because who wants to spend time in a government office when you don't have to.

The other big time waster at the office was that the person tried to change some of my details on my original application (done back in the 70's) like my father's name (I had left it blank originally) and the computer just wouldn't let them go further because no changes are allowed, so if you end up in your local office don't let them change any of the details if they look you up. There is a number to call but they just referred me to my local office. The number is 1 800 206 7218.

Good luck with your return to Canada if you decide to do so. I have found it strange but interesting. This country is just not set up for people who spend long periods abroad (I could barely get broadband because I haven't been in BC for 12 months!). Also, everyone sounds like Bob and Doug McKenzie and I have already started to sound like them myself after being here only two weeks!! Everyone is very friendly and helpful compared to where I used to live (Australia) and everyone has welcomed us with open arms (we are in a tiny town so maybe that makes a difference).
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Is the bureaucracy as bad in canada as i think it is? Here in the UK, i dont think we are as up on bureaucracy yet. I just have this feeling that canada is teeming with bureaucracy.
There is a lot of beurocracy, but its very efficient beurocracy. Lots of offices and departments of this and that, but it never seems to take long to get what you need to do at any given place done.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

thank you for that! Very helpful. So what you are saying is that even though i left long long ago, i can still use my sin number. Good! or bad as the case may be if they think i am dead!

I think you can just use your SIN. As I say, I would until I was told otherwise.

As for the bureaucracy, I too thought it would be a nightmare. I remember the time it took to renew drivers' licences etc back in the 1980's. However I haven't found it to be any different from other places I have lived. I found the office where i did my SIN card to be fine--helpful and easy to use. Same with the BC government office where I obtained my old licence number from Ontario (something to do cause otherwise I would have to resit the tests--you won't however because they recognise UK licences). So no, I have found it okay. The bank however, is a bit slow (CIBC)--probably all are the same. We haven't received our visa cards yet and it has been 10 days and will be another 5!!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Oh, i didnt know that Canada accepts UK driving licences. sure isnt the same the other way round! I wonder why.

So if i hand in my UK licence, i will get a canadian one without having to sit the test again??

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
I think you can just use your SIN. As I say, I would until I was told otherwise.

As for the bureaucracy, I too thought it would be a nightmare. I remember the time it took to renew drivers' licences etc back in the 1980's. However I haven't found it to be any different from other places I have lived. I found the office where i did my SIN card to be fine--helpful and easy to use. Same with the BC government office where I obtained my old licence number from Ontario (something to do cause otherwise I would have to resit the tests--you won't however because they recognise UK licences). So no, I have found it okay. The bank however, is a bit slow (CIBC)--probably all are the same. We haven't received our visa cards yet and it has been 10 days and will be another 5!!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Oh, i didnt know that Canada accepts UK driving licences. sure isnt the same the other way round! I wonder why.

So if i hand in my UK licence, i will get a canadian one without having to sit the test again??
Yes, and the UK does accept provincial licenses, but will only give you a UK automatic only license.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

I never got a licence from the UK. I had to sit the test. My licence was only good for a year! Is this something new?

Originally Posted by iaink
Yes, and the UK does accept provincial licenses, but will only give you a UK automatic only license.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

I left Canada in 1980 and returned in 2004. I still had my SIN card and just resumed using it for opening bank accounts etc. It's in my maiden name but so long as I have a number no-one has seemed to care that the last name is different and it's never been questioned. I didn't even think to ask any authorities.

Cathie
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I never got a licence from the UK. I had to sit the test. My licence was only good for a year! Is this something new?
I dont know, but I guess it was introduced the same time the UK swap was introduced in some provinces here as a reciprocal deal, so it probably only applies to those provinces that are participating in the UK swap deal..which is most but not all since 2004 was it?
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:27 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah you always keep the same SIN number. I returned to Canada from the UK last year and simply applied for a new SIN card with the same number (the number is burned into my memory) and got it in 3 or 4 weeks.

I have a sin number from living in Canada. If and when I return will i continue to use the old one? Does this number stay with you forever? As far as the canadian government is concerned, I am dead and in fact they have advised my family that they think i am dead as i left for the UK quite quickly to go to school there. Now i want to return, can i just re-establish that number or would it be easier to apply for a new one?

Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:38 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

You just made my day thankyou for asking this question about the sin card. I left Canada in 76, asked the question a few weeks ago but did not get a single reply . So cheers for that.
Sans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.