Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

That old 'how do I get UK police checks while I'm in Canada?' question

Wikiposts

That old 'how do I get UK police checks while I'm in Canada?' question

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:46 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That old 'how do I get UK police checks while I'm in Canada?' question

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
We only did police checks via the MET (lived in Aberdeen). Everything was okay and accepted by CIC.

I think Madmac had problems with getting his police check done in Scotland so he too went via the MET.
Yup. For some reason they required us to have checks from both the Strathclyde and Met police forces.

I have to laugh when I'm required to get a local police certificate from Guelph Police for my job. I'm tempted to take in the Met one to the local station and ask if they can 'beat this?".
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:50 am
Calgary Sept 2008

Silverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really niceSilverbug is just really nice
Default Re: That old 'how do I get UK police checks while I'm in Canada?' question

Don't all the police checks get sent to the Scotland Yard anyway? Which is where the MET would get theirs done also? I could be wrong so dont flame me :P
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:52 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverbug
Don't all the police checks get sent to the Scotland Yard anyway? Which is where the MET would get theirs done also? I could be wrong so dont flame me :P
Not true in the case of Strathclyde Police checks who do their checks through the SCRO records. They may contact the Met though but someone else with more knowledge could confirm this.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

fionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nice

According to the data protection officer of the Northern Constabulary in Inverness. Scottish police forces have access to the Scottish criminal records office and the national computer for England/Wales.

BUT
English police forces don't have access to the Scottish criminal records office so if anything English people should be made to get a Scottish police check done as well.

and this is where our problem lies, our lawyer reckons because the info isn't on the blue lined paper the MET send out CIC aren't recognising the police checks as being the correct thing.

Fiona
Old Feb 25th 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, I got a receipt back from the Met today dated the 30th of January saying that they should reply within 40 days of the receipt. Hope they'll send the actual police check letter air mail and not surface!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

fionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nice

Well finally we got the police checks on the paper with the blue wavy lines now sent off to CIC and hopefully PR soon.

fiona

p.s the arrived on Thursday which was 40 days
Old Mar 10th 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Mine arrived today, so that's exactly 40 days since the date on the receipt.
Old Mar 10th 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Post Police Checks (Northants Police) - Lived in Canada for 3 Years

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
That's not true. Anyone in the UK can apply to the Met for checks to be carried out on the Police National Computer.

Even though we lived in Scotland we used the Met for our clearance checks twice, firstly when we lived in the UK and more recently when we lived in Canada.

I attached a letter to the form:

"Dear Sir/Madam

Please find enclosed forms and various photocopies for proof of ID. We require police checks for immigration purposes. We moved to Nova Scotia 4 weeks ago and previously had police checks done back in 2005. The Canadian High Commission now require that we have updated checks done.

I have also attached a cheque for the sum of 20 GBP to cover the fee required for the checks.

Here are our previous addresses:

blah blah blah"

Everything was processed okay

I have attached the Police Checks pdf.
Hi there,

I have been wading through the info for Northants Police to get my Permanent Residency application in.

I realise now that the nice nifty route on the Northants Police website (where you can via Paypal and scan your proof documents in) doesn't apply once you've left the country.

I am going to use the method described above Yes-can-do's reply.

Am I correct in assuming they'll mail it to us in Canada?

Also, I am ignoring the new process at this point - have anyone been forced into using the new process who are outside of the UK?

Cheers,

Sarah
Old Mar 10th 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Police Checks (Northants Police) - Lived in Canada for 3 Years

Originally Posted by SarahBC
I am going to use the method described above Yes-can-do's reply.
Sending the Form 3019B to the Met?

Am I correct in assuming they'll mail it to us in Canada?
Yes. Though expect the receipt to take a very long time as they send it surface mail... may not arrive much before the actual letter .
Old Mar 10th 2008, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Police Checks (Northants Police) - Lived in Canada for 3 Years

Originally Posted by MarkG
Sending the Form 3019B to the Met?

Yes. Though expect the receipt to take a very long time as they send it surface mail... may not arrive much before the actual letter .
Hi there,

I've just been doing more research, and replied to one of the Police Check threads on the Canadian immigration forum.

I have changed my mind and going to chance the new trial ACPO procedure.

I don't have enough time to wait for the original method. My first one was lost in the mail in 2006 (my partner's arrived). So I'll see how I get on with the new procedure.

Fingers crossed,

Sarah