Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

That old 'how do I get UK police checks while I'm in Canada?' question

Wikiposts

That old 'how do I get UK police checks while I'm in Canada?' question

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default That old 'how do I get UK police checks while I'm in Canada?' question

Well, I've tried searching, but it produced hundreds of threads, most with unrelated titles and topics!

Am I right in thinking that if I need to get a UK police check from Canada I can just go through the Metropolitan Police here:

http://www.met.police.uk/dataprotection/forms.htm

I did two from the UK while emigrating, but now I need to get one for security clearance in Canada.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:02 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: That old 'how do I get UK police checks while I'm in Canada?' question

Yep, so long as you lived in London at some point:

If you do not live or have never lived in the London Metropolitan area, please apply to the Police Service that covers the relevant region or area.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: That old 'how do I get UK police checks while I'm in Canada?' question

Sure, but that applies to people who live in the UK; I can't find anything on the Met site related to applying from abroad, but CIC seem to think it's the place to apply to.

Kind of difficult to nip down to the local police station with my driving licence now I'm on the other side of the Atlantic.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:45 am

Do you know which is the relevant police authority? They should at least have a web site with contact details, if not the actual forms. (I think the forms are different for different authorities, but I'm not sure).
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

The last place I lived in England was only for about ten days; the police there want several _original_ items of ID. That's easy if you can just walk into the local police station, but I don't want to have to send original documents both ways across the Atlantic even if I can find enough to satisfy them.

The Met will accept photocopies; I've no problem with sending a photocopy of my passport, but I certainly don't want to send the passport itself. So if I can send the application there it will be much easier.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:11 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Yep, so long as you lived in London at some point:
That's not true. Anyone in the UK can apply to the Met for checks to be carried out on the Police National Computer.

Even though we lived in Scotland we used the Met for our clearance checks twice, firstly when we lived in the UK and more recently when we lived in Canada.

I attached a letter to the form:

"Dear Sir/Madam

Please find enclosed forms and various photocopies for proof of ID. We require police checks for immigration purposes. We moved to Nova Scotia 4 weeks ago and previously had police checks done back in 2005. The Canadian High Commission now require that we have updated checks done.

I have also attached a cheque for the sum of 20 GBP to cover the fee required for the checks.

Here are our previous addresses:

blah blah blah"

Everything was processed okay

I have attached the Police Checks pdf.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Police Clearance Checks.pdf (102.0 KB, 127 views)
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks! That does make life a lot easier then.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:14 am

Well there you go. And they all lived happily ever after.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 11:51 am
Just Joined

WelshLady is an unknown quantity at this point

What the CIC has told you is correct, friends have just sent off for their UK updated police checks and thier from Runcorn. Just get your pasport photocopied and notarized staitng it's a genuine copy and a money order for 10 pounds and that's it along with form 3019B of course !!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

We just photocopied our ID and proof of address (Canadian bakn statements and VISA statements) and sent them off to the Met. Didn't bother getting them notarised.

Mr L2S ski has never lived in the capital either.

Here a thread that might be of some help with addresses etc.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

beeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nicebeeginger is just really nice

for anyone else looking to get their police checks whilst here in canada, type in the search box the last county you lived in followed by "subject access"

eg mine was= dorset police subject access

as far as i can see this will take u to the specific site with all of the forms.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkG
Sure, but that applies to people who live in the UK; I can't find anything on the Met site related to applying from abroad, but CIC seem to think it's the place to apply to.

Kind of difficult to nip down to the local police station with my driving licence now I'm on the other side of the Atlantic.
I obtained a UK police check without problem while in Canada. I had last lived in West Sussex and I googled "police check West Sussex" or words to that effect. Try that with the county you last lived in in UK. Took about a month for the check to arrive here in Canada in my case.
Good luck!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 1:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annabella
I obtained a UK police check without problem while in Canada. I had last lived in West Sussex and I googled "police check West Sussex" or words to that effect. Try that with the county you last lived in in UK. Took about a month for the check to arrive here in Canada in my case.
Good luck!
You can apply to your county of last residence, or to the Met. Whichever is easier.

You may need to supply something additional if you have lived in Scotland or Northern Ireland.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

fionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nicefionamst is just really nice

Be careful with Scottish Police checks as we have had big problems, everyone including the police themselves tell you to go through your local police station and get a national police check done - we did this but because it's not on paper from the MET it's been refused and we've been asked to get up to date checks through the MET. Our Scottish police checks even stated on them that our records had been checked with the Scottish Criminal records office and the National computer for England/Wales.

So we have applied for the one from the MET and our data protection officer in Scotland has sent us a police check telling CIC that our police checks are checked for everything and that the National computer ONLY checks England/Wales not Scotland.

We only sent photocopies of our passports, birth certificates and our bank statement to prove our address, nothing notarized. Got receipt to say being processed and our documents returned today just waiting for the police check now.

Fiona

Last edited by fionamst; Jan 22nd 2008 at 2:31 pm. Reason: missed bits
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 5:35 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We only did police checks via the MET (lived in Aberdeen). Everything was okay and accepted by CIC.

I think Madmac had problems with getting his police check done in Scotland so he too went via the MET.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.