Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Old age pension canada

Old age pension canada

Old Apr 3rd 2021, 8:35 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jun 2020
Posts: 49
Gloriajean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Old age pension canada

Hello I’m wondering if I will get paid OAP from Canada if I move back to U.K. I’m 66 I’m getting it in Canada will I still revive it in U.K. Thank You
Gloriajean is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2021, 12:50 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 30,737
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old age pension canada

Originally Posted by Gloriajean View Post
Hello I’m wondering if I will get paid OAP from Canada if I move back to U.K. I’m 66 I’m getting it in Canada will I still revive it in U.K. Thank You
Yes, you can receive it in the UK, and vice versa (you'd get your UK pension paid in Canada too). See the link Siouxie gave you in post no. 4 of your previous thread - https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana.../#post12976987

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Apr 3rd 2021, 6:17 pm
  #3  
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
PMM's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 9,662
PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old age pension canada

HI

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Yes, you can receive it in the UK, and vice versa (you'd get your UK pension paid in Canada too). See the link Siouxie gave you in post no. 4 of your previous thread - https://britishexpats.com/forum/cana.../#post12976987

HTH.
1. The OP should note that you require 20 years in Canada after the age of 18 to receive you OAP overseas.
PMM is offline  
Old Apr 4th 2021, 5:32 pm
  #4  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 44,630
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old age pension canada

Originally Posted by PMM View Post
HI



1. The OP should note that you require 20 years in Canada after the age of 18 to receive you OAP overseas.
WOW In the US it is only ten years for social security benefits. Husband gets SS from the US in addition to his old age pension from Canada. Unfortunately, the SS benefit is lessen by the Windfall Act in the US.
Rete is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2021, 12:39 am
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Ontario
Posts: 20
Mordko will become famous soon enoughMordko will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Old age pension canada

Some confusion here. Canada offers:

1. CPP (Canada Pension Plan). You earned it. You get it regardless of where you reside. Unlike the British version, recipients are not discriminated by their place of residence and full indexation is applied.

2. OAS (Old Age Security). This is a benefit rather than a pension; supposedly to supplement low income. In practice even people with reasonable income get some OAS, although it tapers off after $80k per person. OAS will be cut off after 6 months if you spent less than 20 years in Canada. In any case OAS might become a target for future governments.
Mordko is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2021, 11:16 am
  #6  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 36,970
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old age pension canada

Originally Posted by Mordko View Post
Some confusion here. Canada offers:

1. CPP (Canada Pension Plan). You earned it. You get it regardless of where you reside. Unlike the British version, recipients are not discriminated by their place of residence and full indexation is applied.

2. OAS (Old Age Security). This is a benefit rather than a pension; supposedly to supplement low income. In practice even people with reasonable income get some OAS, although it tapers off after $80k per person. OAS will be cut off after 6 months if you spent less than 20 years in Canada. In any case OAS might become a target for future governments.
I'd change that a bit. As you say, even people with (I'd say quite a high) reasonable income can get some.
The reason I'd change it is that the first requirement is that one has lived in Canada and the longer one has, the higher the level is likely to be. While living in Canada one will have contributed all the various taxes throughout that time as well as other ways, rather like the UK has NI credits for Home Responsibilities - bringing up kids.

The 'benefit' part of a pension would be Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) - wholly dependent upon income levels.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2021, 2:42 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Ontario
Posts: 20
Mordko will become famous soon enoughMordko will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Old age pension canada

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I'd change that a bit. As you say, even people with (I'd say quite a high) reasonable income can get some.
The reason I'd change it is that the first requirement is that one has lived in Canada and the longer one has, the higher the level is likely to be. While living in Canada one will have contributed all the various taxes throughout that time as well as other ways, rather like the UK has NI credits for Home Responsibilities - bringing up kids.

The 'benefit' part of a pension would be Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS) - wholly dependent upon income levels.
Its a benefit. Its a social security payment which is not linked to how much you put into the system but is linked to your level of income. Lots of benefits are linked to residency requirements. There is no requirement for you to pay $1 in taxes or spend 1 day in employment to get OAS and the amount you get isn’t in any way related to anything you put into the system. Its not the only benefit.

Old Age Security

Old Age Security (OAS) is a benefit paid monthly to most Canadians aged 65 or older. The OAS Program is administered by the federal Department of Employment and Social Development Canada through Service Canada.

Who can receive Old Age Security ?

Eligibility for OAS benefits depends on the following three factors, and is different depending on whether you live in or outside Canada:”

https://www.legalline.ca/legal-answe...upplement-gis/

Last edited by Mordko; Apr 10th 2021 at 2:46 pm.
Mordko is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2021, 4:16 pm
  #8  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 36,970
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old age pension canada

Originally Posted by Mordko View Post
There is no requirement for you to pay $1 in taxes or spend 1 day in employment to get OAS and the amount you get isn’t in any way related to anything you put into the system.
It's not related to anything you put into the system or anything else but you do pay into the system.. And if you haven't lived in Canada 10 years or more you won't get it regardless of income. That's why I said the first requirement was the residency aspect.

You're not required to pay into the system but you can't go through life without paying a tax of some some sort. Own your home, property tax. Buy chocolate, lemonade, toiletries etc you pay tax. Even rent is going to pay a landlord's property tax (indirectly). All kinds of bills you pay tax.

But I did say I would change it a bit.
BristolUK is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2021, 5:46 pm
  #9  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 18,922
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old age pension canada

Originally Posted by Mordko View Post
Its a benefit. Its a social security payment which is not linked to how much you put into the system but is linked to your level of income. Lots of benefits are linked to residency requirements. There is no requirement for you to pay $1 in taxes or spend 1 day in employment to get OAS and the amount you get isn’t in any way related to anything you put into the system. Its not the only benefit.

Old Age Security

Old Age Security (OAS) is a benefit paid monthly to most Canadians aged 65 or older. The OAS Program is administered by the federal Department of Employment and Social Development Canada through Service Canada.

Who can receive Old Age Security ?

Eligibility for OAS benefits depends on the following three factors, and is different depending on whether you live in or outside Canada:”

https://www.legalline.ca/legal-answe...upplement-gis/
From the link you gave..For people living outside Canada
  1. You must be 65 years of age or older.
  2. You must have been a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada the day before you left Canada.
  3. You must have lived in Canada for at least 20 years after turning 18.
and also: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...t-seniors.html
Siouxie is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2021, 6:29 pm
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: within the GTA, Canada
Posts: 6,582
not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old age pension canada

anyone here moved back to the UK getting OAS with or without the yearly increase?
not2old is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2021, 6:42 pm
  #11  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Ontario
Posts: 20
Mordko will become famous soon enoughMordko will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Old age pension canada

You must have lived in Canada for at least 20 years after turning 18.
Absolutely. You just highlighted one of the requirements for this benefit, which had been mentioned above, eg see comment #5.
Mordko is offline  
Old Apr 10th 2021, 7:44 pm
  #12  
Oscar nominated
 
BristolUK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, CANADA
Posts: 36,970
BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old age pension canada

Originally Posted by Mordko View Post
Absolutely. You just highlighted one of the requirements for this benefit, which had been mentioned above, eg see comment #5.
Not to nitpick but the way you edited the post makes it appear 20 years are needed for everyone.
Full quote from Siouxie's post
Originally Posted by Siouxie
From the link you gave..For people living outside Canada
  1. You must be 65 years of age or older.
  2. You must have been a Canadian citizen or a legal resident of Canada the day before you left Canada.
  3. You must have lived in Canada for at least 20 years after turning 18.
For people living in Canada
  1. You must be 65 years of age or older.
  2. You must live in Canada and be a Canadian citizen or a legal resident at the time your pension application is approved.
  3. You must have lived in Canada for at least 10 years after turning 18.
I just wanted to put that there for anyone with between 10 and 20 years who might see the incomplete excerpt and wrongly believe they wouldn't qualify when they may..
BristolUK is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2021, 11:14 am
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2016
Location: St Catharines, Ontario From Bournemouth UK
Posts: 334
glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old age pension canada

Arrived in Canada aged 55. If I defer OAS until 70 will I receive 15/40 OAS? To get 100% OAS you need to live in Canada for 40 years after the age of 18.
Will I qualify for 100% OAS if I make it to 95?
glendem4 is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2021, 11:50 am
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Ontario
Posts: 20
Mordko will become famous soon enoughMordko will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Old age pension canada

Originally Posted by glendem4 View Post
Arrived in Canada aged 55. If I defer OAS until 70 will I receive 15/40 OAS? To get 100% OAS you need to live in Canada for 40 years after the age of 18.
Will I qualify for 100% OAS if I make it to 95?
My understanding is that:

1. Normally every month of delaying OAS after 65 gives you a 0.6% monthly increase.
2. Every full year in Canada after age 18 gives you 1/40.
3. If you are an immigrant than either 1 or 2 (whichever works best) will be applied but not both.
4. 70 is a cut-off point. You cannot delay until after 70.

So, if you take OAS at the age of 70 then you should get approximately 35% of OAS. You will not get 100% even if you live to 150.

I could be wrong on this.
Mordko is offline  
Old Apr 12th 2021, 12:00 pm
  #15  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Dec 2020
Location: Ontario
Posts: 20
Mordko will become famous soon enoughMordko will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Old age pension canada

Also, a word of caution: do not rely on OAS. The government won’t touch CPP because you earned it but OAS is paid out of taxes and the chances that the rules will change within 5 years are very high. At some point a future government will try to balance the budget.
Mordko is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.