Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OK, so now I'm thinking this is impossible...

OK, so now I'm thinking this is impossible...

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 7:06 pm
LHK
Forum Regular

LHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: OK, so now I'm thinking this is impossible...

Originally Posted by iaink
One persons bad experience does not mean that the same thing will happen to you.
And vice-versa...
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 7:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LHK
And vice-versa...
This was the "positive only" thread...remember
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 7:47 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

We did it too.

It is possible. You need a bit of luck, a lot of patience and perseverence and to be in the right place at the right time, but possible IT IS !!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 8:41 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

I decided to move to Canada in July 2004.

Did a recce trip in September 2005. Arranged to meet some headhunters I'd made contact with via the WWW. Only met one

While in the meeting, he said "I've just had a job come in that might be suitable"

Had Interviews #1 and #2 the following day. Interview #3 two days after that.

Stayed in Canada an extra day for a meeting with my then companies office - had interview #4 that day

Got home and was offered the job the next day.

Landed in Canada Jan 2005

Been here ever since... took just 6 months from deciding to do it to getting here, so it clearly is possible...
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 10:49 pm
LHK
Forum Regular

LHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura aboutLHK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by iaink
This was the "positive only" thread...remember
You're quite right, IainK. I apologise for the faux-pas.
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 12:42 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely, as others have suggested. Research possible employers, then contact people with your resume and a cover letter telling them you ARE coming over between such and such dates, and would be delighted to have the opportunity to meet to discuss their business, and to see how your skills might be able to fulfill their needs. (You don't actually even have to book anything til you get a positive response!)

In our cases we weren't actually offered anything more positive than "let us know when you are coming over", but then it hadn't occurred to us to take the TWP route while we waited, and we had a boy doing A levels and a house to sell, so we were not ready to move earlier than the time it took to get PR. But we did more or less have jobs to go to when we arrived!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Nevercomingback is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife is a gymnastics coach and put a ad on the gymnastics Ontario website 6 months ago, and did we get a lot of replys
We will be landing in Toronto on Feb 13th and then making our way to Port Elgin to start our new life could not have been easier....

P.s if anyone wants to fly a dog out there go with Air Transat £112.. Compared with Zoom at £650 !!!
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Definitely, as others have suggested. Research possible employers, then contact people with your resume and a cover letter telling them you ARE coming over between such and such dates, and would be delighted to have the opportunity to meet to discuss their business, and to see how your skills might be able to fulfill their needs. (You don't actually even have to book anything til you get a positive response!)
That is exactly what we're planning to do and I do think it is great advice.

Whoever said that getting a job is a fulltime job in itself was exactly right. Just trawling through the job sites every week is so time-consuming and then researching likely Albertan manufacturing companies. I actually know far more about the Albertan economy then I do about the British economy nowadays. Hopefully stand us in good stead when we get there.

<thinking determinedly positively here>

Thanks all of you again and if you need to know anything about projected growth, breakdown of GDP, net export/import etc just drop me a line.