Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ok, so am I changing my mind about this place!!!

Ok, so am I changing my mind about this place!!!

Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:23 am
Account Closed

hippy chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ok, so am I changing my mind about this place!!!

Well, some of you may of read my thread over 3 months ago about being desperately unhappy in Canada and wanting to know if i should go back....

WELL, things are kinda changing around here....

We have started to build a great social life, we put effort into becoming locals at our English local pub...lol. People now know us by our first names and get invited to partys and social events... Its great, we know a great bunch of people.

As a result of this social group, I have been offered a decent paying, permenant job with health and dental benefits, starting Jan 12th.... WOW...

I'm loving the snow, and i never thought I would ever drive in it but i do...

Previously, the thought of xmas away from our friends & family in the Uk bought me to tears. Well now its not so bad, I'm quite looking forward to xmas here. We have a couple of partys to go to over the festive season which helps...

We have just booked a trip back to the UK. We land on New Years Eve and return here on 10th Jan. We did this as my new job starts on the 12th and don't know if we will have time to visit for a while after that. I'm excited about seeing people there but I know we will be rushed off our feet trying to fit everyone into our visit... I've heard a lot about the doom & gloom in the UK, and I don't what that to put a dampner on out trip.

So, to all the people that said "hang in there girl", thank you... I know this journey in Canada isn't over by any means but I realsie now that you have to make a huge effort to get on over here. And that when it comes to jobs, its a lot about "who you know" and not "what you know"..

Thanks again folks,

I'll keep you updated...

Bye for now.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:32 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ok, so am I changing my mind about this place!!!

Great news, I'm really happy for you and I hope your good feelings continue indefinitely.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:49 am

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hippy chick
And that when it comes to jobs, its a lot about "who you know" and not "what you know"..

That is so true - best of luck to you and have a great time in the UK
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

we put effort into becoming locals at our English local pub...lol.

I'll keep you updated...
Good luck, hope it all works out for you and your family...but more importantly what 'english' pub are you a regular at now. I'll be in Guelph for a few days over christmas and I went to the U of Waterloo, so I'm interested to know which pub you now frequent.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:52 am
Account Closed

hippy chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clynnog
Good luck, hope it all works out for you and your family...but more importantly what 'english' pub are you a regular at now. I'll be in Guelph for a few days over christmas and I went to the U of Waterloo, so I'm interested to know which pub you now frequent.
Its the good old "Whale & Ale" on Victoria Street...
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

sarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura aboutsarahandshaun has a spectacular aura about

Way to go hippy chick. Hope you and your family have a merry xmas and a happy new year

sarahandshaun
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

This is good to hear The first few months for many people are wobbly - and those that got through it are so keen to say "please, just hang on a bit more, give it another go"

When you are in a down mood, it is hard to see further than next week, and if you do look ahead, it's all gloom.

You've chucked yourself at Canada, and things are paying off wonderfully for you. I'm so chuffed.

No-one ever said it had to be forever - but the expense and upheaval of the move do deserve a damn good try.

And you are soooo right about the networking and job front. Good luck in Jan
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

jimbognr is a jewel in the roughjimbognr is a jewel in the roughjimbognr is a jewel in the roughjimbognr is a jewel in the rough

Hi hippy chick, glad to see your enjoying canada now, im assuming you dont need names of shipping companys from canada to the uk anymore,
James x
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Its the good old "Whale & Ale" on Victoria Street...
Ah yes, I think I've seen it when going from Guelph to Kitchenere on Hwy 7....I believe there is a footie shop somewhere along there....believe me there isn't much else along that stretch of Hwy 7 that captures my imagination.
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to hear things have improved for you, hope you have a great Christmas
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:40 pm
has got PPR yay baby !!!!

deenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud ofdeenailz has much to be proud of

hey hun , i am soo glad you are feeling better , i hope you settle in at your new job straightaway , am sure this will help loads too

ps get your bum on geek !! we never see ya on there now , lol
Old Dec 9th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Well, some of you may of read my thread over 3 months ago about being desperately unhappy in Canada and wanting to know if i should go back....

WELL, things are kinda changing around here....

We have started to build a great social life, we put effort into becoming locals at our English local pub...lol. People now know us by our first names and get invited to partys and social events... Its great, we know a great bunch of people.

As a result of this social group, I have been offered a decent paying, permenant job with health and dental benefits, starting Jan 12th.... WOW...

I'm loving the snow, and i never thought I would ever drive in it but i do...

Previously, the thought of xmas away from our friends & family in the Uk bought me to tears. Well now its not so bad, I'm quite looking forward to xmas here. We have a couple of partys to go to over the festive season which helps...

We have just booked a trip back to the UK. We land on New Years Eve and return here on 10th Jan. We did this as my new job starts on the 12th and don't know if we will have time to visit for a while after that. I'm excited about seeing people there but I know we will be rushed off our feet trying to fit everyone into our visit... I've heard a lot about the doom & gloom in the UK, and I don't what that to put a dampner on out trip.

So, to all the people that said "hang in there girl", thank you... I know this journey in Canada isn't over by any means but I realsie now that you have to make a huge effort to get on over here. And that when it comes to jobs, its a lot about "who you know" and not "what you know"..

Thanks again folks,

I'll keep you updated...

Bye for now.
Hi Hippy,

Yep I remember this post, I remember replying too.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=566912&page=5

Glad to see you've moved forward and enjoying your new life.

It can only get better from here, - well done!

Y
Old Dec 9th 2008, 1:41 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember reading your last post too and am really pleased you are beginning to feel more settled.

Have a nice trip over here but don't forget your umbrella!

Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you're feeling happier. Hope things go well for you, and that you have a great Christmas.

BTW - going back can be quite a shock too you know!
Old Dec 9th 2008, 2:19 pm
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

oh, that's such great news......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.