Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OK, I guess I can start whingeing now.

OK, I guess I can start whingeing now.

Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute
Default OK, I guess I can start whingeing now.

Been here nearly two months and apart from the lack of decent beer and football, which I've gone into on another thread, what other moans have I got?

Well, my major gripe is the quality of things bought here.

Is it just me and the shops I go to, or do some "quality" retailers just peddle absolute crap?!

Every other item I get from Zellers or Crappy Tire (I guess I should have sussed from the outset, it having been given that moniker by several Canadians I've met!) needs to get returned through it breaking, not working in the first place or just being unfit for purpose! I'll give the retailers their due, everything gets replaced or refunded without question, but it's getting a bit irritating.

Any other newcomers have any moans?
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice
Default Re: OK, I guess I can start whingeing now.

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
just me and the shops I go to, or do some "quality" retailers just peddle absolute crap?!

Every other item I get from Zellers or Crappy Tire...
I think this is your problem right here. Neither Zellers nor Canadian Tire are exactly considered "quality." Really, you may as well shop at the dollar store as at Zellers. Not sure how big Alliston is, but you may want to try some more upmarket places. We've found Rona is better than Canadian Tire for most things.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Well, my major gripe is the quality of things bought here.

Is it just me and the shops I go to, or do some "quality" retailers just peddle absolute crap?!

If you redefine quality as "Fitness of Purpose" you may get somewhere.

Anything intended to be disposable or with limited life is usually cheap and available at the low end stores such as Canadian Tire, Zellers, Dollarama, Giant Tiger etc.

More upscale stuff is available at The Bay, Rona, Home Depot and smaller specialty stores.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:03 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

In this life you get what you pay for...up to a point.

I still like crappy tire though, Ive seldom had cause to complain about tools and the like from there, and on the few occasions I have they have replaced without question.

More expensive stuff, anything over $200, I'll look elsewhere though as I want it to last.

Ive never expected much of Zellers, but the kids stuff we've bought there have mostly lasted long enough to be outgrown.

With a few exceptions dollar store stuff usually last long enough to make it out of the car park..but not much longer.

What do I still whinge about? Lack of holiday
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
In this life you get what you pay for...up to a point.

I still like crappy tire though, Ive seldom had cause to complain about tools and the like from there, and on the few occasions I have they have replaced without question.

More expensive stuff, anything over $200, I'll look elsewhere though as I want it to last.

Ive never expected much of Zellers, but the kids stuff we've bought there have mostly lasted long enough to be outgrown.

With a few exceptions dollar store stuff usually last long enough to make it out of the car park..but not much longer.

What do I still whinge about? Lack of holiday
I went to Canadian Tire last night. First time in months. We needed charcoal and they keep 20lb bags of Kingsford (much better than the stuff at Rona). Of course, it's too late in the year, they're putting up their Christmas displays in place of the summer ones. I asked a couple of staff people but was unable to communicate my wants to them. Third try I got someone who knew the term "barbecue". He said he could get me a bag from the warehouse, I said I'd take four to which he replied "do I look like I can carry four bags?". He was gone for forty minutes and then returned with four 5lb bags. I took them on a cart to the cash where the debit card machine was broken, luckily I had cash. I pushed the cart outside where I had to unload the bags and lift the cart and bags separately over the barrier before I could push the cart to the car. I then drove to another Canadian Tire and repeated the whole process (except that this time I got my four 20lb bags).

That's the typical Canadian Tire experience, dirty stores, awkward set up of narrow aisles and barriers, broken equipment, unhelpful staff who have limited English and no French; it's just like being at Pearson airport.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I went to Canadian Tire last night. First time in months. We needed charcoal and they keep 20lb bags of Kingsford (much better than the stuff at Rona). Of course, it's too late in the year, they're putting up their Christmas displays in place of the summer ones. I asked a couple of staff people but was unable to communicate my wants to them. Third try I got someone who knew the term "barbecue". He said he could get me a bag from the warehouse, I said I'd take four to which he replied "do I look like I can carry four bags?". He was gone for forty minutes and then returned with four 5lb bags. I took them on a cart to the cash where the debit card machine was broken, luckily I had cash. I pushed the cart outside where I had to unload the bags and lift the cart and bags separately over the barrier before I could push the cart to the car. I then drove to another Canadian Tire and repeated the whole process (except that this time I got my four 20lb bags).

That's the typical Canadian Tire experience, dirty stores, awkward set up of narrow aisles and barriers, broken equipment, unhelpful staff who have limited English and no French; it's just like being at Pearson airport.
Its funny I never have any of those problems at the three stores near me
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:35 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

..luckily I had cash.
Jeez you are old skool eh, ya keep ya savings under the floorboards too

Cash, whassat ?

Rich.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

ImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to beholdImLivingTheDream is a splendid one to behold

Wahh wahhhh It's just not like a little Britain I wanna go home waaah waaahh
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ImLivingTheDream
Wahh wahhhh It's just not like a little Britain I wanna go home waaah waaahh
Then go then
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Its funny I never have any of those problems at the three stores near me
Well, I did start at one at Main and Danforth. If I'd gone straight to Scarborough I'd have saved myself a lot of trouble; something I should know by now.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 6:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Jeez you are old skool eh, ya keep ya savings under the floorboards too

Cash, whassat ?

Rich.

It's what you need in Canadian Tire.
Old Aug 17th 2006, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

(

Tip : The Dollar store is great for socks. At a dollar a pair you can throw em away after wearing them and who cares if the washing machine eats one and since they're all alike matching the odd ones is is easy.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

I asked a couple of staff people but was unable to communicate my wants to them. Third try I got someone who knew the term "barbecue".
Heh heh...

I went in the other day and asked for an AC lead.
"A what?"
After three minutes of trying to communicate to them what I wanted, one of the four assistants who'd come to help out (it's a quiet store in Alliston) said "Oh, an AC lead?" and took me straight to them.

And I'm getting sick of that Canadian Tire cash they keep giving you. How many times have I gone to pay for something in a normal shop thinking I had more money than I actually have?
Old Aug 18th 2006, 2:00 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

And I'm getting sick of that Canadian Tire cash they keep giving you. How many times have I gone to pay for something in a normal shop thinking I had more money than I actually have?
Ah, but one day my son, when you have paid your dues to canada, and have a worthy credit rating, you'll be able to apply for and be granted that holy grail of canadianship, the canadian tire mastercard.

and then all that paper money need bother you no more...it will all be done through the card.

Actually, Im rather surprised dbb doesnt have one. Cash indeed
Old Aug 18th 2006, 3:16 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

I cannot abide Canadian Tire - and relatively rarely shop there - but we still have nearly $20 in CT money

Zellers - always check your receipt. Often the discounts they advertise are not reflected at the til (mind you that works both ways, this week I bought a pair of shoes for the toddler - $1.48 including tax, I was expecting to pay a bit more, but apparently there was some (unadvertised) promotion on...)

While we are at it - Canadian Stupid Store (ugh), HBC (where are the staff hiding?)....

Clare

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.