Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ok, here we go with the homesick blues!!

ok, here we go with the homesick blues!!

Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice
Default Re: ok, here we go with the homesick blues!!

Originally Posted by amandasmith
May be Jane and Finch should move to a better area and not judge canada on one place.
Jane and Finch is an area of Toronto, not people.
Old Jan 20th 2005, 10:49 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Karl69
the Canadian economy is showing little signs of growth.
Sweeping generalisations about the Canadian economy don't work either ... the Alberta economy is healthy ... no provincial debt and money to spend on health & education ... it depends where you are and what your skills are in Canada too.

Before anyone says "duh, that's only because of the oil" ... yes it is ... it's called exploiting your province's resources ... you wouldn't complain about the people in the Atlantic provinces making a living out of fishing just because they have plenty of coastal water with fish in it ... actually, some of you probably would.

Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:07 am
Banned

Karl69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Sweeping generalisations about the Canadian economy don't work either ... the Alberta economy is healthy ... no provincial debt and money to spend on health & education ... it depends where you are and what your skills are in Canada too.

Before anyone says "duh, that's only because of the oil" ... yes it is ... it's called exploiting your province's resources ... you wouldn't complain about the people in the Atlantic provinces making a living out of fishing just because they have plenty of coastal water with fish in it ... actually, some of you probably would.
I apologise, but some people need to get their facts straight.

Refugees spelt correctly are a European problem, there are over 65000 refugees granted residency in Canada each year, these people need food and shelter.

So Amanda whats your point about refugees?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:23 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Karl69
I apologise, but some people need to get their facts straight.

Refugees spelt correctly are a European problem, there are over 65000 refugees granted residency in Canada each year, these people need food and shelter.

So Amanda whats your point about refugees?
I carnt spel veri wel ... I also didn't mention refugees ....

Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:12 am
Banned

Karl69 is an unknown quantity at this point

I carnt spel veri wel ... I also didn't mention refugees ....
Wasn't aimed at you but thats not bad for a scot
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

i dont know who amandasmith is, but he/she needs to get a spelling course under her/his hat before you attempt to say something here! i agree with karl; jane n finch is one hellhole and you would be out of your mind to walk there at certain times. and whats that about "rip off britain"? just look at the prices here in mississauga--arent those rip offs too? and refugees--good luck to them, as long as they keep out of trouble and dont bother anyone around them, who cares? without getting into a massive argument here, all i can say is that canada is not a dump--that is not what i am saying. in my eyes, there just does not seem to be some kind of tangible fabric of social life here for me. i am saying this now while it is around -30C outside--and you thought siberia was cold!!!! no, i will be happy with getting up in streatham and knowing that i could take an early morning stroll even in january, without getting my goolies frozen off! and then pop down to my local for a nice glass of warm bitter!! aaahhh--heaven!
Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:36 am
Velouria

Originally Posted by julius smith
i am saying this now while it is around -30C outside--and you thought siberia was cold!!!! no, i will be happy with getting up in streatham and knowing that i could take an early morning stroll even in january, without getting my goolies frozen off! and then pop down to my local for a nice glass of warm bitter!! aaahhh--heaven!
pardon my ignorance.. but didn't you know canada was cold in the winter before you came over?? they dont call it the great white north for no reason!

it sounds like you will definitely be a lot happier in the uk. good luck to you and let us know how it goes!

Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:43 am
Glaswegian

no, i will be happy with getting up in streatham and knowing that i could take an early morning stroll even in january, without getting my goolies frozen off!
The trick is to wear trousers when you're outside ... it stops your wedding tackle freezing in cold weather

It does sound like you'll be much happier back in England ... you either grow to love the winters here or you never get used to them ... personally, I like the snow ... we've got another four months of it to go

Old Jan 21st 2005, 2:45 am
Velouria

The trick is to wear trousers when you're outside ... it stops your wedding tackle freezing in cold weather

It does sound like you'll be much happier back in England ... you either grow to love the winters here or you never get used to them ... personally, I like the snow ... we've got another four months of it to go
four months?!?! :scared:

LOL.. i prefer it to the damp anyday...

this fog is interesting as well!

Old Jan 21st 2005, 3:01 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Velouria
four months?!?! :scared:
The last dump will probably be around the May long weekend or the first week in June ... but we'll have some proper chinooks after February that'll take the temperatures up to around 20 and melt the snow!! Were you here for April last year? It was really nice.

this fog is interesting as well!
It's pretty unusual ... I can probably count the number of foggy days we've had since Oct 2001 on the fingers of one hand!!

Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:03 pm
Velouria

The last dump will probably be around the May long weekend or the first week in June ... but we'll have some proper chinooks after February that'll take the temperatures up to around 20 and melt the snow!! Were you here for April last year? It was really nice.
i was actually.. thats when we visited.. i couldnt believe how nice i was! and so sunny

It's pretty unusual ... I can probably count the number of foggy days we've had since Oct 2001 on the fingers of one hand!!
with the unpredictability of weather here, i wasnt sure how usual it was! at one point, i had to slow down to a mere crawl last night... obviously the people speeding past me had better fog vision than i did!

Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:11 pm
Glaswegian

i was actually.. thats when we visited.. i couldnt believe how nice i was! and so sunny
The seasons are all jumbled up ... April was really nice and then it got cold again and snowed in May!!

obviously the people speeding past me had better fog vision than i did!
Pole arnaments in the making

Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:14 pm
Velouria

The seasons are all jumbled up ... April was really nice and then it got cold again and snowed in May!!
so what you're telling me is that i shouldnt put away my winter coat?

i havent even looked outside yet to see whats out there!

Pole arnaments in the making
id love to know how they do it, really.. i lost my sense of immortality a long time ago!

Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:16 pm
Glaswegian

so what you're telling me is that i shouldnt put away my winter coat?
Ehhrmmm ... not until after the long weekend at the end of May ... but get your summer coat out now for those chinook days

id love to know how they do it, really..
Stupidiy is the biggest factor

Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

sue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud ofsue8899 has much to be proud of

Hang in there it gets better and better. We have now been here for 3 years and the first year was tough. You tend to paint a rosy glowing picture of what life was like in the UK when you start to get homesick and forget why you came here in the first place.
The school should be straightforward if the buses are not turning up go complain!!. Unless you are taking your kids to a school outside of the catchment area then you are responsible for getting them there. Our kids found the work very hard in the beginning but they get used to it, you just need to let the school know that they are English and the level they are taught in England is a little lower than over here!! Give them time...5 months is nowhere near enough to decide whether everyone likes a place or not.
Uni costs re the same in England, there is nothing free or cheap anymore...
You got a good job, excellent it took us a year to find a reasonable job....
Sounds like you had no intention of staying or settling for good....Again 5 months is not long enough, now the gloss has worn off a little and life maybe getting a little tough......
Canada is a big place why not try getting out of the city areas..
We have a house, jobs, the kids (similar age to yours) have good friends. We have not got tons of money or a swimming pool etc but we have a lake nearby and the (small) mountains to ski in if we want to....we are near to the Georgian Triangle area, small town..
In England, nothing, doom and gloom, yes family and friends which we miss a hell of a lot but our family comes first....better life, yes, better prospects for the kids...no doubt...you ask them now if they would go and live in England, their reply "What is there in England for us now?"
You should give it a least a year before you jack it in(if you have to move then move areas!) I know too many people who have returned to England only to regret it years later and keep saying "What if!"

hi, all!
you may have been reading some of my exploits since arriving here in canada (mississuaga actually) from the uk.....well, we wthought we had settled in pretty nicely; i landed a fantastic job within a few weeks of being here (which was a big thing in itself!), bought a half decent car, furniture, got approved for credit etc etc. but now, after what is coming up to around 4 to 5 months here, we have decided to move back to the uk!! we tried to put as much gloss on the move as possible, ie bigger country, better lifestyle, less crowding, less bigotism , vanadalism, etc but, at the end of the day, we have not really been able to fit in. the schooling system is ok for the canadians, but to my kids its a complete shambles--the school buses do not pick my kids up as according to them, we live outside of the catchment area, so i am having to spend $25 a day for a taxicab to take them to and from school! we thought about getting my wife to drive, but that entails even more cost, as we would need another car, with its own attendant costs. then the kids are not really happy either--the schools here put absolute extreme pressure on the kids to perform--as an example, my kids are doing university level maths and science, and they are only in the 14 to 15 age bracket!! there is simply no need for that sort of pressure in my view. ok, in the uk, the schools do not press kids so much, so the level is lower, but who cares? at the end of the day, kids in the uk still manage to go onto uni and get their degrees. and then the high cost of uni education--its around $15 to $25 000 per year for a degree course. so all in all, we have decided to jack it in as soon as i can secure a reasonable job in england. i know people will say that i didnt give it a chance etc, but if your heart is not in it, then whats the point of living in a big house, driving a big car? in my opinion, i can live a bettr life in good ol blighty than here, even though, yes, there are problems in the uk...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.