Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Oilsands - advice needed please

Oilsands - advice needed please

Old Mar 8th 2011, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough
Default Oilsands - advice needed please

Hello everyone,

I’m seriously looking to uproot my life, leave Toronto and seek out work in the oilsands, but I need some help and advice.

I work outdoors all year round, drive commercial vehicles and upgraded my license to a DZ in January. I would be a rookie, no previous experience in mining, but driving would be my entry skill, I guess.

I can’t be the only person who has sought out this kind of career change, so has anyone gone down that path and how did you do it?

Alas I have no additional funds for training, but I’m assuming there must be some sort of company training / certification to use their machines?

The only thing I can’t do is turn up there without a job to go to. All the jobs I’ve seen are for skilled trades, engineers and for staff with bundles of experience.

If anyone has any ideas …

Thank you

Wayne
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oilsands - advice needed please

PM Mandymoochops. Her OH was recently looking for someone just like you
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:43 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

If driving is your skill and it's not with the heavy duty machinery then I would suggest driving buses with Diversified.

http://www.dtlcareers.com

If you have experience with heavy machinery then I would look for work at the various contractors.

North American Construction
Graham Construction
Flint
Klemke

There are more just can't think of any right now.

Be warned though that housing is very, very expensive up there. So while you would make good money it'll cost you a lot more to live there.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
If driving is your skill and it's not with the heavy duty machinery then I would suggest driving buses with Diversified.

If you have experience with heavy machinery then I would look for work at the various contractors.

Graham Construction
Flint
Klemke

Be warned though that housing is very, very expensive up there. So while you would make good money it'll cost you a lot more to live there.
I took the OP's original post to mean he was looking to work as a roughneck etc. and work his way up.

Living in a trailer is cheap. Very few that work there, live there.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Wookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the roughWookie Wayne is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
PM Mandymoochops. Her OH was recently looking for someone just like you
Yes I found her post and er, well, yes, thank you for thinking of me, lol.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by comet555

Graham Construction
Flint
Klemke

Thank you for the information, I will be looking into the coach option, but again would need to update my license.

I will look into the construction companies and see what they have to offer. I'd sooner be on the front line if I could get the training to do so.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

nwtspam is an unknown quantity at this point

Come to Alberta. It's better money over here, more jobs and less taxes.

Last edited by nwtspam; Mar 8th 2011 at 5:04 pm. Reason: nwtspam from Edmonton, Alberta
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nwtspam
Come to Alberta. It's better money over here, more jobs and less taxes.
I need a job, a career and a home. Can you help me out?

I must admit I didn't move to Canada to live in the city all my life and would welcome living up in the mountains.

I'd slog 10 years in the oilsands to do that. Just need a leg up.

Thank you.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 5:21 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Best bet is to slog through the phone book for all construction companies, bus companies and trucking companies in Fort Mac.
Old Mar 8th 2011, 9:09 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I took the OP's original post to mean he was looking to work as a roughneck etc. and work his way up.

Living in a trailer is cheap. Very few that work there, live there.
I took his post at face value where he said driving was his entry skill.

I know plenty that live there and a few that commute. We lived there for 5 years so I know quite well how expensive the housing is there. Also, my husband currently commutes to Fort McMurray from Ontario so I have first hand experience both ways.

If the poster is prepared to live in the town then he can certainly work his way up. Finding an employer who will give you camp accommodations or LOA (living out allowance) can be trickier depending on how much they need your skills. My husband is a mining engineer so he was fortunate to be able to find someone who would give him a decent schedule and LOA and travel expenses.

My point is though if you're an entry level driver with no real training then it would be tough to have a company to pick up the tab for all your expenses and also to train you. However if you live in town there are generally jobs to be had to enable you to work your way up.

Also, to work on site you usually need CSTS and OSSA. The training can be done in one day. It's easy to do so it's possible to get a job and then do the training before you start.
http://www.keyano.ca/Media/Collectio...STS%20OSSA.pdf

Also if you're looking into driving the big trucks at the mines then I'd check this out. It's a 4 week course at the college with an optional 3 month paid work term (no idea on wages though). Could be a good way to gain work experience.
http://www.keyano.ca/Programs/defaul...edentialId=119
Old Mar 9th 2011, 5:49 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at his reply to reading my post of to mean that he couldn't hold his own in a nursery let alone work in the oilfield!!!!!

I don't think roughnecking is for this one!
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I looked at his reply to reading my post of to mean that he couldn't hold his own in a nursery let alone work in the oilfield!!!!!

I don't think roughnecking is for this one!
I've spent the last several years working in the tree industry and yes I am accustomed to being paid from the neck down, not just the neck up.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

boggey is an unknown quantity at this point

try local in the uk for training ,i did mine and now have city & guilds in all on an off road trucks did it for three years never had any issues with my operation of plant ,amazing as some real shit stirers in some pits .
Old Mar 11th 2011, 5:59 am
Just Joined

nwtspam is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wookie Wayne
I need a job, a career and a home. Can you help me out?

I must admit I didn't move to Canada to live in the city all my life and would welcome living up in the mountains.

I'd slog 10 years in the oilsands to do that. Just need a leg up.

Thank you.
Trust me, you don't need my help to get a job in the oilsand region.

You will get a job within a week no matter where you go in Alberta.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 6:33 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nwtspam
Trust me, you don't need my help to get a job in the oilsand region.

You will get a job within a week no matter where you go in Alberta.
I have to admit you are very right here. The amount of companies advertising is getting daft because there's just not the guys out there that want to risk the downturn like there was.

Companies are offering silly money in signing bonuses for experienced hands right now too.