Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

oh my God... We are moving!!!!!

oh my God... We are moving!!!!!

Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light
Smile oh my God... We are moving!!!!!

So, i have not posted very often. Usually to ask burning questions and get the answers I almost expected. I felt I was living in a bit of a dream world, moving to Canada and starting a new life seemed a long long way away. Well my clever and wonderful other half has got the job and we are off. Oh my God.................................

So what now???

We are running around, getting the house ready to sell. I keep stopping and saying to myself,

IS THIS HAPPENING?

ARE WE DOING THE RIGHT THING????

Leaving a fab life in the UK for the complete unknown. ( Have been to Canada at Easter, it felt like home when I was a teenager ( a few years ago!!!)

Sorry to sound like I am waffling on but my life has just been turned upside down.

So many people on this site are so positive about leaving the UK for Canada, I guess that I am just looking for the reasurrance that we are doing the right thing. A better life for us all..............

So are we?????????????????
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:42 pm
Account Closed

ClosedAccount-xyz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: oh my God... We are moving!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!
GET PACKING!!!!!!
WISHING YOU ALL THE BEST IN CANADA
Jeanette
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jeanetteuk1
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
GET PACKING!!!!!!
Jeanette
ARE YOU CRAZY? YOU'RE MOVING LEAVING MIGHT BLIGHTY? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING.....
Canada has 4 beautiful season with blue skies and will offer you a different lifestyle and opportunities to do things you never would have thought of doing if you stayed in the UK......and your other half has a job already lined up? thats half the battle.

Jeanette has the right attitude.....GET PACKING! you're only a plane ride away.
Carpe Diem!

Safe journey
Old Apr 21st 2005, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

bombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of lightbombards is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jeanetteuk1
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
GET PACKING!!!!!!
Jeanette
Thank you

My emotions are all over the place...

My Dad was 80 today and we have had a wonderful time tonight celebrating his birthday ( and mine on Sat) but now I feel like #### as I am taking the grandchildren away. My parents are ok with us going but my guilt is dreadful.

I love England and we have so many good friends here. I am just scared.

I know we are doing the right thing but I just keep wondering what if....?

But............. WE ARE GOING SO WATCH THIS SPACE AND PLEASE BE HERE FOR THE ROLLERCOASTER OF EMOTIONS...

Thanks

Bombards
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: oh my God... We are moving!!!!!

Originally Posted by yorkiebar99
ARE YOU CRAZY? YOU'RE MOVING LEAVING MIGHT BLIGHTY? WHAT ARE YOU THINKING.....
Canada has 4 beautiful season with blue skies and will offer you a different lifestyle and opportunities to do things you never would have thought of doing if you stayed in the UK......and your other half has a job already lined up? thats half the battle.

Jeanette has the right attitude.....GET PACKING! you're only a plane ride away.
Carpe Diem!

Safe journey

You are so right.....

And we will seize the day....

It's just hard to take on board!!

Life is not a dress rehearsal... This is it. Which is why we are going.

But it is still scary...............

Bombards
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathise. We're taking the one-and-only grandchild away and feeling rather guilty for him and them!

In our case one set of grandparents is rather elderly, one of them is unwell and is realistically unlikely to be able to get insurance/medical clearance to fly. But they're gamely making plans for a visit and are encouraging us and showing great interest in our move.

The other set (not mine!!) is very young, early retirement so all the free time in the world, takes about 5 foreign holidays a year including long-haul, but is flatly refusing to visit us in Canada and coming out with such snide comments to us via my 2yr old as "We won't see you again for years, will we". They've shown less then zero interest throughout the whole thing and can't understand why we're doing it when "there's nothing wrong with your lives in Britain".

We're thinking email, webcam...etc will be our way of keeping them involved in each others' lives but yep, the guilt is huge!

Best of luck with your move, we have a week left before we leave the house, and another week after that before we fly out to Canada. Yikes :scared:

Biiiiink
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:12 am
MCC
Forum Regular

MCC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bombards
So, i have not posted very often. Usually to ask burning questions and get the answers I almost expected. I felt I was living in a bit of a dream world, moving to Canada and starting a new life seemed a long long way away. Well my clever and wonderful other half has got the job and we are off. Oh my God.................................

So what now???

We are running around, getting the house ready to sell. I keep stopping and saying to myself,

IS THIS HAPPENING?

ARE WE DOING THE RIGHT THING????

Leaving a fab life in the UK for the complete unknown. ( Have been to Canada at Easter, it felt like home when I was a teenager ( a few years ago!!!)

Sorry to sound like I am waffling on but my life has just been turned upside down.

So many people on this site are so positive about leaving the UK for Canada, I guess that I am just looking for the reasurrance that we are doing the right thing. A better life for us all..............

So are we?????????????????

Don't worry, we are all going through that. I've just been accepted as a sponsor for my husband and expect his passport request in the next 3-4 weeks. So we too are running around sorting stuff for car boot sale, fixing the house etc.

The realisation of it all is hitting us. When I came to England 13 years ago, I came with a couple of suitcases of clothes. Now I'm leaving with a husband, 2 kids and lots of stuff. And we don't even have jobs to go to yet. So it's very scarry. I have to remind myself all the time about the reasons why we're going to calm my racing heart. You're are probably doing the right thing. I will be a great big adventure for you all and lots of fun (most of the time I hope )

Best of luck

MCC
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:42 am
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: oh my God... We are moving!!!!!

may i use the words of some other chap(not sure who)....
you only live once but if you live right.....once is enough....
I wish you guys all the best with your new life, just remember you have to give it a go..so whats the worst than can happen, you come back if its not what you are looking for...friends, pals , the whole uk thing will still be here, but you can at least say well we gave it go, thats better than saying I wonder what it would have been like!.....and the best that can happen is you start a great new life and family and freinds will come and visit(thats for sure)..and you can sit back and say.....Im glad we did this!...so go for it & heres wishing you guys a great new start, all the best
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:16 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I sympathise. We're taking the one-and-only grandchild away and feeling rather guilty for him and them!

In our case one set of grandparents is rather elderly, one of them is unwell and is realistically unlikely to be able to get insurance/medical clearance to fly. But they're gamely making plans for a visit and are encouraging us and showing great interest in our move. Biiiiink
Good for them! My 83 year old mother in law is also really excited - she is coming to Calgary with us for our recce in October and is already talking about coming over for a month next year when (and if!!) we finally get there.

Best of luck with your move, we have a week left before we leave the house, and another week after that before we fly out to Canada. Yikes :scared:
Biiiiink
Wow didn't realise that it was so close for you. Lots of luck and a bit of karma to you - keep us posted.

Jen
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

daisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to alldaisymoll is a name known to all

In our case one set of grandparents is rather elderly, one of them is unwell and is realistically unlikely to be able to get insurance/medical clearance to fly. But they're gamely making plans for a visit and are encouraging us and showing great interest in our move.

The other set (not mine!!) is very young, early retirement so all the free time in the world, takes about 5 foreign holidays a year including long-haul, but is flatly refusing to visit us in Canada and coming out with such snide comments to us via my 2yr old as "We won't see you again for years, will we". They've shown less then zero interest throughout the whole thing and can't understand why we're doing it when "there's nothing wrong with your lives in Britain".

We're thinking email, webcam...etc will be our way of keeping them involved in each others' lives but yep, the guilt is huge!

Biiiiink

This I am finding is the hardest thing to get over, for me anyway and at the moment I am experiencing strong homsickness feelings after a blissful honeymoon period here. I just wish that I could show all the new things my eighteen month old son to his grandparents and that someone would dote on him like only grandparents can. It wont be a picnic but remember this is only natural and I am just trying to work through it.

HTH Sonia
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

tobyjug is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
I told my mum that we wanted to emigrate and after the " oh you must do what you think is right " and of course the " well i will miss you all " she then ask what i was going to do with all my stuff, Ater i told her i'd have to sell all the electrical appliences, she then said " i need a new a t.v and dvd " mmmmm going to miss me is she ??
Pat ( mrs Tobyjug )
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Just a positive little thought on the whole 'taking your kids away from the grandparents' thing. I am going through the same guilt trip as some of you, and have had similar snide remarks made by in-laws as some others of you, so I agree that it's really tough. However, as someone who already 'lives away' - all be it just across the Irish sea I can honestly say that when we DO spend time with my folks, the quality of that time is tremendous. Instead of seeing them for an hour or two here and there, they come for days at a time (in Canada it will be weeks:scared: ) but during that time, we have lovely long in-depth rolling conversations that you can pick up on the next day, Mum and Dad realy get to know the kids - read them bedtime stories etc, it's all very relaxed and not 'crammed in' to an afternoon visit to Grandma. It depends on what your current experience is now of course as to how hard it will be, but IMO, there is a positive side to it. Also, the kids really get excited about granny and grandpa coming to visit. (I do too, in fact!) I get on better with my parents now that I ever did.

Hope that helps.
Snowqueen
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of lightsnowqueen is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Bombards

Just another thought - forgive me if I'm barking up the wrong tree but your name suggests it....is your other half by any chance working for Bombardier? My friends in Canada seem to have various friends/neighbours who work there (sent out from UK) and it strikes me that at least in a comapny like that there would be a good few others in your situation to befriend/make things easier....

SQ
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Devon_Gang is an unknown quantity at this point

Wishing you the very, very best of luck Jeanette, GO FOR IT!! You have come so far, you cant not do it!! but scary isnt it!?!!
I felt like that just downloading the paperwork, God help us when we get the actual getting there bit!!!

You only live once, but you got to LIVE It!!

just a foot note, when we told my in-laws, the first response was 'brilliant, a place to go on holiday' then it was 'so would we have any chance of moving out there then?'!! :scared:
Just cant get rid of 'em!!

Kaz
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

ClosedAccount-xyz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Devon_Gang
Wishing you the very, very best of luck Jeanette, GO FOR IT!! You have come so far, you cant not do it!! but scary isnt it!?!!
I felt like that just downloading the paperwork, God help us when we get the actual getting there bit!!!

You only live once, but you got to LIVE It!!

just a foot note, when we told my in-laws, the first response was 'brilliant, a place to go on holiday' then it was 'so would we have any chance of moving out there then?'!! :scared:
Just cant get rid of 'em!!

Kaz
Wish it was me going!!!! we havent got enough points to apply though.
it is the bombards that are going!!!
Jeanette

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.