Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Offset Mortgages

Offset Mortgages

Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

omro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Offset Mortgages

I used to have a mortgage through the Woolwich, which was an offset style mortgage. Any penny in my current account or any of my "savings pots" was offset against my mortgage principal meaning I paid less in mortgage interest.

Is there an equivalent mortgage in Canada?

Can anyone recommend something similar and detail their experiences with the institution?

Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 3:44 am

lancashirebird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Offset Mortgages

The one that i see all the time on TV here is

http://www2.manulifeone.ca/en/home/
Not sure if there is anymore

LB
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lancashirebird
The one that i see all the time on TV here is

http://www2.manulifeone.ca/en/home/
Not sure if there is anymore

LB
I've heard about that, but I also hear that their interest rates are relatively high undoing the benefit of the offset.
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/w...ers-647071/44/

Red flag deals has a forum on it where personal finance is covered. It may be helpful to search around there.

HTH

(PS It helps to start at page one of the thread!)
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Cool site! Thanks!
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 2:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Talk to a Mortgage Broker. National Bank of Canada offers one called the "All in One".
Old Oct 23rd 2009, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by omro
Cool site! Thanks!
You're very welcome!

I have got a number of deals though them - the freebie section is quite good. Good advice can be found there on all sorts of things.