Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ODPs in Canada?

ODPs in Canada?

Old Mar 11th 2021, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

ida_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ODPs in Canada?

Hi, I'm currently a third year BSc Operating Department Practitioner (ODP) student and I am planning on migrating to Canada (Ottawa specifically) in 2 years time. After I am registered and qualified I plan on gaining experience before moving. If you are unfamiliar of what an ODP does here's a link that summarises what we do. I'm more interested in the Scrub/Surgical side of the role, however I plan to do a dual role and also practice Anaesthetics.

aodp.org/what_is_an_odp_parentid_9.html

From my understanding I'd have to go through an RPN course then do an extended course to work in theatres? But is there another way? After three years of studying, doing an additional 2 years of uni/college is really painful to think about.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old Mar 11th 2021, 11:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ODPs in Canada?

Hello and welcome to BE!

We had a thread on this subject last year that might be of use to you - lots of links to the licensing bodies (Provincial)
ODP's aren't a thing in Canada - try 'Operating Room Technician' and Anesthesia Technologist / Assistant.
Any ODPs in Canada
Old Mar 12th 2021, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: ODPs in Canada?

Hi and welcome,

I have worked in several hospitals in Nova scotia and Ontario. I have never come across and ODP. Admittedly, they have all been midsize or small rural establishments. Not sure about the bigger hospitals. Usually the anaesthetists are fairly self sufficient and the OR nurses run the show. (RN'S and RPN"S) I will have a wee ask around for you and see if I can get any more info.
Cheers