Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Obstetrician in Montreal

Obstetrician in Montreal

Old Jan 6th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obstetrician in Montreal

Originally Posted by moving2montreal
reading this post about montreal has made me think about my impending move there. how are you all liking living out there? i am very nervous about it. i dont know why. i think because it is so cold. i supposed to be flying out there next week.
Relax .. I guarantee you you will love the place. Been here since 1962 with the exception of a few months spent in the UK in the year 1999. Weather here right now is very mild, today it was 11 Celcius ABOVE, way way over normal. We matched a record set in 1946.

Last edited by montreal mike; Jan 6th 2007 at 11:03 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:01 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickywallace
Hi Daedra
Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy and what a wonderful city in which to have a child! I lived there with 3 children for a year and found it extremely family friendly. AND your child will grow up with a bilingual education.
Anyway about an obsterician - during my year in Montreal, I worked as an anaesthetist at the Birthing centre at the Royal Victoria Hospital on Ave Des Pins Ouest. I was very impressed by the standard of care there. Most of the Obstetricians were great.. Dr Alice Benjamin was lovely, and I also liked a dutch man called Dr Biljan. So I'm sure if you just phone their office at the hospital you could get an appointment. Midwifery care does not exist as it does in the UK - rather all babies are delivered by obstetricians and you are looked after by obstetric nurses the rest of the time.
Good Luck!

I'm guessing your directing this at tallperson who's pregnant and in MTL, unless I've had some sort of immaculate conception & not known it!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:04 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Relax .. I guarantee you you will love the place. Been here since 1962 with the exception of a few months spent in the UK in the year 1999. Weather here right now is very mild, today it was 11 Celcius ABOVE, way way over normal. We matched a record sent in 1946.
Have you retired yet Mike? Just curious if you have, what experience you've had with the QPP.. is it comfortable to live off or do you really NEED a private RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings Plan for those who arent familiar with the term) to pay into pre retirement?

I'm probably being REALLY rude and you're probably only like 45 and I just put my foot in my mouth big style... but I'm used to it by now
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickywallace
Hi Daedra
Firstly congratulations on your pregnancy and what a wonderful city in which to have a child! I lived there with 3 children for a year and found it extremely family friendly. AND your child will grow up with a bilingual education.
Anyway about an obsterician - during my year in Montreal, I worked as an anaesthetist at the Birthing centre at the Royal Victoria Hospital on Ave Des Pins Ouest. I was very impressed by the standard of care there. Most of the Obstetricians were great.. Dr Alice Benjamin was lovely, and I also liked a dutch man called Dr Biljan. So I'm sure if you just phone their office at the hospital you could get an appointment. Midwifery care does not exist as it does in the UK - rather all babies are delivered by obstetricians and you are looked after by obstetric nurses the rest of the time.
Good Luck!
I'm just curious as to how recently you lived in Montreal and if maybe things have changed now. I can't speak for Quebec but Midwives certainly do deliver babies here in Eastern Ontario even if there aren't too many of them.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
Have you retired yet Mike? Just curious if you have, what experience you've had with the QPP.. is it comfortable to live off or do you really NEED a private RRSP (Registered Retirement Savings Plan for those who arent familiar with the term) to pay into pre retirement?

I'm probably being REALLY rude and you're probably only like 45 and I just put my foot in my mouth big style... but I'm used to it by now
I was 45 once upon a time but that was a while back. Go look at my profile. You'll see I am 63 actually 64 this coming June. I still work (have been since age 19) but am looking forward to cutting down to a 4 day week. The QPP will pay the extra day in the form of an early (discounted) pension. And one needs a private or company pension plan to make ends meet. QPP (as early as 60) and OAS (at 65) will merely put bread on the table, and little more.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 4:25 am
Senile Member

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I was 45 once upon a time but that was a while back. Go look at my profile. You'll see I am 63 actually 64 this coming June. I still work (have been since age 19) but am looking forward to cutting down to a 4 day week. The QPP will pay the extra day in the form of an early (discounted) pension. And one needs a private or company pension plan to make ends meet. QPP (as early as 60) and OAS (at 65) will merely put bread on the table, and little more.
Thats what I was afraid of... my mums about your age now & has been scratching her head trying to figure out how to retire comfortably on the middle of the road salary she's on now. Thought she may have been exagerating as to how low the QPP would pay (hoped she was exagerating) guess not.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Daedra
Thats what I was afraid of... my mums about your age now & has been scratching her head trying to figure out how to retire comfortably on the middle of the road salary she's on now. Thought she may have been exagerating as to how low the QPP would pay (hoped she was exagerating) guess not.
No she is far from exaggerating.

At 65 will get the QPP and the OAS. Combined they don't really add up to that much.

Unless

1. she wins the lottery
2. or comes into an inheritance
3. or has well-to-do childten

chances are she will continue working.

She can start to take her QPP age 60 but her penalty is six percent per annum. So at 60 she would get 70% of the number she would get at age 65, at 61 she would get 76% etc.

If over age 60 she can cut her workload to 4 days a week, take a pay cut but simultaneously start collecting her pension early. It may well compensate.

This is what I will now do.

It is all well explained at the Regie des Rentes website.