Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

OAKVILLE - a good choice?

OAKVILLE - a good choice?

Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:03 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OAKVILLE - a good choice?

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
When I first moved to Canada I lived in Oakville south of the QEW. I would have hated to live north - to my mind it's a suburban wasteland where to get a pint of milk would have involved at least a five minute drive (and I didn't have a car when I first came to Canada)

I loved (and still love Oakville) it's a nice town, downtown is pretty pleasant, and it suits my abstract requirements for petty bourgeoisness.

However, it's a very expensive place to live and there isn't a great deal of stuff to do at night-time.

It's a very British and English location - there's a higher concentration of English expats in Oakville than anywhere else in Canada IIRC. So if you're looking for a home from home, it's likely the one place in Canada that can offer you that, but if you want to experience a new culture, it's not exactly the best.

These days I live in downtown Toronto, in Little Italy, so I get to experience both Canadian and Italian/ Portugese culture pretty much on a daily basis.

HTH
Oakville lags some way behind St Catherines and Oshawa, both in numbers and percentage (6% compared to 10% or 11%). I think it's also behind Toronto, Vancouver, Hamilton and Victoria.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I think it's also behind Toronto
Come on. There must be more Chinese, more Indians, more Italians and perhaps even more cradles than Brits in Toronto. Even in the Brit ghetto
(http://www.toronto.ca/demographics/c...pdf2/cpa63.pdf see chart, Top 10 Ethnic Origins) there are nearly as many non-specific Europeans as people of British origin. If you count only people actually born in the UK then Oakville leads by a country mile.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:03 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Come on. There must be more Chinese, more Indians, more Italians and perhaps even more cradles than Brits in Toronto. Even in the Brit ghetto
(http://www.toronto.ca/demographics/c...pdf2/cpa63.pdf see chart, Top 10 Ethnic Origins) there are nearly as many non-specific Europeans as people of British origin. If you count only people actually born in the UK then Oakville leads by a country mile.
According to the data, the UK was the origin of the largest number of immigrants in Canada (approx. 580,000). Most, however, have been here for a long time. Almost 90% of the total arrived before 1991.

According to the official stats, the top ten cities by Brit expat population in 2006 were:

TO - 125,980
Vancouver - 63,935
Hamilton - 29,455
Calgary - 26,065
Ottineau - 19,600
Victoria - 19,395
Edmonton - 18,825
London - 14,385
St. Catherine - 14,055
Oshawa - 13,860

Oakville's Brit population in 2006 was 8,930. Oakville is bigger than St. Catherine and Oshawa.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
According to the data, the UK was the origin of the largest number of immigrants in Canada (approx. 580,000). Most, however, have been here for a long time. Almost 90% of the total arrived before 1991.

According to the official stats, the top ten cities by Brit expat population in 2006 were:

TO - 125,980
Vancouver - 63,935
Hamilton - 29,455
Calgary - 26,065
Ottineau - 19,600
Victoria - 19,395
Edmonton - 18,825
London - 14,385
St. Catherine - 14,055
Oshawa - 13,860

Oakville's Brit population in 2006 was 8,930. Oakville is bigger than St. Catherine and Oshawa.
Toronto's population is about 2,500,000 so, based on the above, the Brit population is about .05% of the total. Rather less than the proportion of Brits in Oakville. What might be more interesting is the location of recent British immigrants, if such a figure exists.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:26 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto's population is about 2,500,000 so, based on the above, the Brit population is about .05% of the total. Rather less than the proportion of Brits in Oakville. What might be more interesting is the location of recent British immigrants, if such a figure exists.
<ahem> I know you'd prefer to do your mathematics in Imperial units, but 125,000 is 5% of 2.5 million, not 0.05%.

Damn metric nonsense.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:33 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
<ahem> I know you'd prefer to do your mathematics in Imperial units, but 125,000 is 5% of 2.5 million, not 0.05%.

Damn metric nonsense.
And, oddly enough, Oakville's Brit quota is less than 6%.

Whatever. The fact is that not many Brits come to Canada these days. I think it works out at less than a Boeing 777 per month, for the whole of Canada.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 1:51 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Oh yes, and while I'm on my aggressive-defensive rant, I acknowledge that proportionately Oakville has way more than its fair share of Brit (not necessarily English) expats. But again, the general doesn't translate to the specific. I'm sure I've commented before that amongst my immediate neighbours, amongst all of whom we regularly share beer and barbecues, are first generation immigrants from Sweden, Portugal, India, Trinidad, Italy and the US, as well as half a dozen cradle-Canadian families. It's not all about wealthy WASPs.
I hasten to add in my defence, that I'm not specifically anti Oakville. Had it been closer to Toronto, I would likely have continued living there, and I suppose that *some* of my suburban wasteland comments were based on my cursory look at property north of the QEW. As a single non-car driving non-family person at that time, it didn't meet my living needs. However, I've always said that I'd love to live there again at some point - still south of the QEW though. Maybe that's a snob thing. And maybe I'm missing having more living space...
Old Apr 11th 2011, 2:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Damn metric nonsense.
Oops! Search for alternative means of demonstrating Oakville to be Tunbridge Wells in exile will resume asap.

In the meantime, a delightful description by an independent third party:

"it is hard to find a tree and the yards of even quite large houses are very small and sometimes badly overlooked"

that's how I see modern suburbia.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 10:23 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Oops! Search for alternative means of demonstrating Oakville to be Tunbridge Wells in exile will resume asap.
Curious about the comparison of the two. Take a wild guess as to where I was raised, and lived until I relocated to Canada
Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by sharkus
Curious about the comparison of the two. Take a wild guess as to where I was raised, and lived until I relocated to Canada
And you're happy in Oakville, there we go, case proven.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:17 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

And you're happy in Oakville, there we go, case proven.
How so? Please educate the poor "north of the QEW" dwelling prole, coz, sorry guv'nor I ain't as bright as some < doffs cloth cap >