Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nursing in Quebec

Nursing in Quebec

Old Aug 22nd 2015, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing in Quebec

Any uk nurses in Quebec...LPN'S or RN'S? I was just wondering if the assessment process is any different to the rest of Canada? Any comments appreciated
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing in Quebec

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
Any uk nurses in Quebec...LPN'S or RN'S? I was just wondering if the assessment process is any different to the rest of Canada? Any comments appreciated
How is you French?
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 4:49 am
Forum Regular

I guess...well I understood all the info on the college website...used to be fluent I was thought French from the age of 10 to 18 but since moving from Poland to uk 10 years ago never had a chance to use it...i have french friend in the village and he reckons it is more than enough to get by...but I am not sure if it is enough to work with as a nurse
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
Start here:
Infirmière formée hors Québec | Admission profession | OIIQ

You will absolutely need fluent French - there might be one or 2 establishments in Montreal where you could get away without that level. Bilingual would be a distinct advantage.

Could you pass the equivalence/accreditation process (see above link) in French?

Some years ago, Immigration Quebec were fast-tracking nurses, I don't *think* that's the case anymore (but check). The vacancies were mainly regional.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 8:50 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

There are 2 hospital systems the french and the "English". English is not a requirement for the french hospital system but bilinguality is most certainlt needed for the English hospitals.

The french exam is, or was, notoriously hard and covered your ability to communicate in french on subjects totally unrelated to nursing (one paper I recall mention of, asked for a description of how you would install a computer network). Many nurses had to do multiple retakes in order to pass.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmmm...research day tomorrow then...thank you
Old Aug 24th 2015, 7:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGK
There are 2 hospital systems the french and the "English". English is not a requirement for the french hospital system but bilinguality is most certainlt needed for the English hospitals.

The french exam is, or was, notoriously hard and covered your ability to communicate in french on subjects totally unrelated to nursing (one paper I recall mention of, asked for a description of how you would install a computer network). Many nurses had to do multiple retakes in order to pass.
Huh? Are you talking about Quebec?
Old Aug 24th 2015, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Huh? Are you talking about Quebec?
why? Any different experience or just general surprise that it is quebec...
Old Aug 24th 2015, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Surprised because there is only one healthcare/hospital system in Quebec.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 1:04 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Surprised because there is only one healthcare/hospital system in Quebec.
Yes, but not all locations provide service in English, hence the descriptive split along language lines. I lived in QC for six year and differentiation between "english/bilingual" and "French" facilities was very common.
Old Aug 25th 2015, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JGK
Yes, but not all locations provide service in English, hence the descriptive split along language lines. I lived in QC for six year and differentiation between "english/bilingual" and "French" facilities was very common.
Ok, I get what you mean. However, even to work in a facility providing English-language services, OP needs a permit from OIIQ, which will require the French language test (I too have heard that it's a bit of a nightmare).

There was a bit of a hooha about it a couple of years ago (nurses on temporary permits working at Jewish General whose permits were revoked when they didn't pass the French exam)
Old Aug 26th 2015, 2:32 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

There was also a story I heard when i was in QC of a nurse so desperate to pass the test and get licensed, she hired a tutor and had one on one tuition for three months, took the test and passed.....

Then the exam board said she had passed "too well" and were refusing to ratify the result
Old Aug 26th 2015, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JGK
There was also a story I heard when i was in QC of a nurse so desperate to pass the test and get licensed, she hired a tutor and had one on one tuition for three months, took the test and passed.....

Then the exam board said she had passed "too well" and were refusing to ratify the result
That sounds a bit "scaremongery"
Old Aug 26th 2015, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Couple things I understand about Quebec nursing. They have I believe 3 years to pass French exam before being issued a full nursing license and that they have the lowest pay out of all the provinces
Old Sep 1st 2015, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all for advice