Reload this Page >

Nursing Ontario

Nursing Ontario

Old Nov 4th 2013, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Kaylawayla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing Ontario

Hi,

Looking to gain some advice /information if possible.

I am a UK Registered Nurse who would like to relocate to Ontario.
Qualified in 2008 with a bachelor degree in adult nursing.
I realise once my transcripts are looked at, I will no doubt have to do further training in pediatrics, obstetrics and mental health in order to qualify to sit CRNE.

I have contacted the college nurses of Ontario about a week ago regarding this further training, and asked if distance learning is an option, or is it solely college based (in Canada).

Has anyone any knowledge / experience on this?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Kaylawayla; Nov 4th 2013 at 3:19 pm.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

Mamawona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nursing Ontario

Hi there,
I am currently going through the Canadian Nurses of Ontario assessment process. It has taken them a year to assess my credentials however I got a letter from them last week telling me that I need to sit an OSCE in Toronto and the dates for this aren't until June 2014. Like you I have a degree in Adult nursing. Apparrently this OSCE is a new thing that has been introduced for Internationally educated nurses. I believe the OSCE is to identify any gaps in our training. If there are any obvious gaps, the CNO will letter us asking that we do further training and this has to be done in Ontario. Then of course after this we have to take the CRNE exam (In Canada)in order to get our registration. Hope this helps. Good luck!!!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mamawona
Hi there,
I am currently going through the Canadian Nurses of Ontario assessment process. It has taken them a year to assess my credentials however I got a letter from them last week telling me that I need to sit an OSCE in Toronto and the dates for this aren't until June 2014. Like you I have a degree in Adult nursing. Apparrently this OSCE is a new thing that has been introduced for Internationally educated nurses. I believe the OSCE is to identify any gaps in our training. If there are any obvious gaps, the CNO will letter us asking that we do further training and this has to be done in Ontario. Then of course after this we have to take the CRNE exam (In Canada)in order to get our registration. Hope this helps. Good luck!!!

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. Great help.
It at least gives me a rough timeline to go by, but is 1 year to assess credentials the norm?
What specifics do you know about the further training in Ontario. i.e. Length of courses, would it take place in Toronto also, any help with regards to accommodation?

I have two young kids so as much info about the training required (in Canada) would be helpful.
Old Nov 4th 2013, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes CNO takes on average 12 months to be processed. Some members who have posted about having to take courses to make up hours have talked about $10,000 + and this didn't cover costs of accommodation and other stuff
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:56 am
Just Joined

Mamawona is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
from what I saw when I was in Hamilton Canada this year the individual modules weren't excessively priced. From what I understand the OSCE has been put in place to identify any learning gaps. From the feedback of the OSCE, the CNO then sends you a learning plan and modules that you need to take which are tailored to your learning needs. All I can say is if you are really thinking of doing this you have to be in it for the long haul. Send your application to the CNO asap (approx $700) and let the process begin. Then you will, like me have to jump through many hoops at a cost! But I guess you have to ask yourself how important is it for you to work and immigrate to Canda? My daughter, son in law and three grandchildren live there, so it means the world to me. I will do whatever they ask of me and I will be as patient as I need to be. You've just got to hang in there, many others have done this before us!!! However I do think it is probably becoming more difficult to achieve but not impossible.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mamawona
Hi,
from what I saw when I was in Hamilton Canada this year the individual modules weren't excessively priced. From what I understand the OSCE has been put in place to identify any learning gaps. From the feedback of the OSCE, the CNO then sends you a learning plan and modules that you need to take which are tailored to your learning needs. All I can say is if you are really thinking of doing this you have to be in it for the long haul. Send your application to the CNO asap (approx $700) and let the process begin. Then you will, like me have to jump through many hoops at a cost! But I guess you have to ask yourself how important is it for you to work and immigrate to Canda? My daughter, son in law and three grandchildren live there, so it means the world to me. I will do whatever they ask of me and I will be as patient as I need to be. You've just got to hang in there, many others have done this before us!!! However I do think it is probably becoming more difficult to achieve but not impossible.

Hi there,
Yeah from what I can see its a lengthy process! Worth it though I'd say.

Funny you should mention Hamilton, I had extended family there but now in the wasaga beach area. Is it Hamilton you're planning on doing your modules?

Could you tell me roughly how long the courses run? As I said I have two young children and it'll be hard to juggle weeks, if not months in Canada...
But ways around it I'm sure.

And are the courses set dates throughout the year or available to do when requested?

Sorry for all the questions!

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Yes CNO takes on average 12 months to be processed. Some members who have posted about having to take courses to make up hours have talked about $10,000 + and this didn't cover costs of accommodation and other stuff
Thats a big figure for retraining. Surely the end cost will vary though depending on individual requirements. I.e. Someone may only have to do 1 course, so doubt / hope it would be $10,000!

Did these people mention anything about the details of the courses, length/location etc. ?

Last edited by Kaylawayla; Nov 6th 2013 at 5:29 am.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 6:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...ORK_NURSE.html

http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/Search...DGING/_/N-lo8n

Some of the bridging programs are subsidised, it may be worth looking at the various links to the bridging programs.

This one, for instance, is free: http://www.fanshawec.ca/programs-cou...rsing-credenti

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 6th 2013 at 6:29 am.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/...ORK_NURSE.html

http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/Search...DGING/_/N-lo8n

Some of the bridging programs are subsidised, it may be worth looking at the various links to the bridging programs.

This one, for instance, is free: http://www.fanshawec.ca/programs-cou...rsing-credenti

Thank you for the links.
Ive looked at them briefly, will go more in depth (once the kids are in bed and I get 2mins peace!)
Old Nov 29th 2013, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

Lilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to allLilipuddlian is a name known to all

If you have a university degree in nursing, you'll be fine. They will find a way to equivalency for you.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

HELLIE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I have just received instruction for OSCE in Ontario (took about 1 year. I am UK adult trained 2005). I emailed to enquire re options for online versus Toronto based study post OSCE but from what I can gather it could be either.

Does anyone know anything further about union law - one of my concerns is that you don't apparently get much vacation leave (if any) in first year? Also about hospital shifts: I know that in USA it is common to have permanent night nurses and some permanent days - however from what I have hear I think it is frequently a mixture like in the UK?

Good luck to you all!!
Old Dec 4th 2013, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I would check out provincial collective agreements on the union websites as that will give you and idea on vacation. Here you don't get any until you earn it. I know my local hospital does 2days 2 nights and 5 off. But will vary
Old Dec 5th 2013, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HELLIE
Hi. I have just received instruction for OSCE in Ontario (took about 1 year. I am UK adult trained 2005). I emailed to enquire re options for online versus Toronto based study post OSCE but from what I can gather it could be either.

Does anyone know anything further about union law - one of my concerns is that you don't apparently get much vacation leave (if any) in first year? Also about hospital shifts: I know that in USA it is common to have permanent night nurses and some permanent days - however from what I have hear I think it is frequently a mixture like in the UK?

Good luck to you all!!
Hi Hellie

Glad to hear you have received the instruction for OSCE. I have not really heard anything positive from any IENs post OSCE assessment - and CARE4NURSES have said that some nurses are struggling to find courses to meet the requirements that the OSCE showed they need to meet. One person I have heard of has been told that they need to complete a 4 year nursing course if they want to be an RN in Ontario!

I have been waiting for a date for OSCE since july/aug. they sent an email about a month ago with a date for May and a date for June - by the time i was able to log onto the site to book, the places were full!! So now I am waiting for the next dates which could be released whenever they decide to, and am anticipating they will be for July and august!!!

As for shifts here, I think they are mixed 12 hr shifts - keep an eye on the job posings at the various hospitals where you are looking at moving to.

Vacation here tends to be accrued monthly, and taken after the first year of working. But I guess it may be different with different unions involved. I am not in a unionised post, so I am not sure. The holidays certainly are not as generous as the NHS