Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nursing - Ontario

Nursing - Ontario

Old Feb 6th 2012, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nursing - Ontario

Hi

Does anyone have any idea as to how long the processing time is for applications to be assessed for registration in Ontario (RN)? I have read somewhere (Can't remember where) that it can take a year after they have all your transcripts etc. Is it the same for all provinces? I know the processing time is probably a bit like the visa processing times and is a bit like the proverbial piece of string - but just wondered if anyone has had experience of trying to register with them and what their experience was.

I have tried searching the Nursing section on here, but most seem to be re nursing in Australia.

Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2012, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nursing - Ontario

CNO for IEN takes months to over a year to go through the application process. Not all provinces take this long
Old Feb 6th 2012, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice

I don't know about Ontario, but BC is 6 weeks from application to reminder of outstanding documents, then 6 weeks after all documents received to contact regarding SEC assessment, then 6 weeks after SEC assessment to inform you of next steps.
I have to say, Mrs sdo1982 is having a great experience with the CRNBC, they have been very efficient and helpful!
Old Feb 6th 2012, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

foreignmind is an unknown quantity at this point

One year (or just under) from time of sending the application off to taking the exam in toronto, to getting the letter stating that I passed and I need to submit proof of residency to get licence.
Old Feb 6th 2012, 7:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

thanks all - I thought the waiting for PR was going to be the worst part

Guess 1 year till exam is not too bad - I was thinking it was 1 year to just be assessed.

Best get a move on with my form then. Does anyone know if you can get a temp licence before you sit the exam, or do you have to wait till the exam is done?

Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2012, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

If the college gives you eligibility to sit CRNE then you should be able to apply for a temp license.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
If the college gives you eligibility to sit CRNE then you should be able to apply for a temp license.
Thankyou - that is a relief!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

michellemck is an unknown quantity at this point

not to out a dampener on things but it has taken over a year to be assessed in ontario and i have still not been assessed yet. I gave them everything in a timely manner. having spoke to my case manager recently about why things have taken so long, she stated that they have a huge backlog of cases and are trying to clear them as well as make the process more efficient but this takes time.

i would get your forms in asap and be prepared to wait. they are currently working on files from may2011. also, depending on when you graduated, it looks like you may require more training as our course in the uk is not general trained anymore, although you will be given the opportunity to bypass this should you be able to provide evidence from your career that covers their requirements, is what the case manager said. this is of course what my situation looks like, only having qualified 4 years ago.

i know it's not what you want to hear but best be prepared!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by michellemck
not to out a dampener on things but it has taken over a year to be assessed in ontario and i have still not been assessed yet. I gave them everything in a timely manner. having spoke to my case manager recently about why things have taken so long, she stated that they have a huge backlog of cases and are trying to clear them as well as make the process more efficient but this takes time.

i would get your forms in asap and be prepared to wait. they are currently working on files from may2011. also, depending on when you graduated, it looks like you may require more training as our course in the uk is not general trained anymore, although you will be given the opportunity to bypass this should you be able to provide evidence from your career that covers their requirements, is what the case manager said. this is of course what my situation looks like, only having qualified 4 years ago.

i know it's not what you want to hear but best be prepared!

I gather there will be a wait - I completed my training in 1991 which covered all aspects of nursing, so hopefully will be ok on that score. All I can do is apply and sit and wait . I uad the forms over a year ago, but delayed it because I was completing my top up degree - the assessment fee has trembled in that time!
Old Feb 8th 2012, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

cazza64 is an unknown quantity at this point

i need a job!!!!!!! i am a IEN passed the CRNE, applied for loads of jobs no reply.cant reg until i get a job, cant get a job untill registeterd ahhhhhhhhh.any ideas??
Old Feb 8th 2012, 9:02 pm
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

I suspect nurses will be off the FSW route next year. AB are not taking any TWP and it takes at least a year to get to SEC stage.

BC - They will only look at you if you are SEC and registered. Again about a year from submission to SEC. No quick route into nursing in Canada. I suspect others will have better stories and timelines, just pleased wifey has not waited until PR was successful before sorting registration, she would have no work! When she gets both sorted and a job, we will move. fletch