Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nursing in Calgary

Nursing in Calgary

Old Jan 28th 2011, 1:16 am
Just Joined

ftdsunburst is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nursing in Calgary

A word of warning that CARNA are not as efficient as i expected for a nursing board...IEN,s generally have to sit a SEC assessment to find out if they required further Canadian courses...if you do this it will cost you a great deal of $. I do feel it is a money making scheme for IEN. They have no interest in your experience. Mount Royal university tutors have very bad communication skills with on line courses...and also the administrators for the courses do not know about the schedules in order for you to plan. A recent course i did was marked down for not attending a lab session...no mention that it had attached marks....long story...but a very dissappointed english nurse. It is very costly to be a nurse in Alberta.....try a different province
Old Jan 28th 2011, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nursing in Calgary

I had a very different experience as an IEN.

I came over in 2008 and sent my transcripts from my UK university to CARNA and had everything approved.

I am a Diploma Adult Branch Nurse and BSc Childrens Nurse so I met all of the requirements and didn't need to do any SEC assessments.

I did have to sit the CRNE.

Just wanted to add another perspective !!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find a lot of province College's of RN's are doing some form of assessment for IEN's regardless on where they are from if they do not meet provincial requirements. A few UK nurses have had to do something for Nova Scotia me included be it distant learning course or Assessment
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

I am a UK Registered Nurse, having the DIP HE (Adult Nursing) and a degree in Nursing. Now a Canadian RN (Alberta). I came over here in 2009.

My experience with CARNA was very good. All of my transcripts were sent from the various universities and the NMC in the UK to CARNA.
I did not have to sit any further exams with the exception of the CRNE.

I do have a friend who also had to sit further exams before she could sit the CRNE, as far as I can remember, she had a restriction on her initial temporary permit that she could not work in Maternity or with Children.

It is sad to hear when people have bad experiences. I hope it works out well for you ftdsuburst.
I agree it can work out expensive.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

ftdsunburst is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that degree level is accepted without any further updates other than the crne exam. Transcript from the NMC got to CARNA OK...just using the forum as a sounding off board! Best thing is I am now in Canada and find it more relaxed than the Uk. Got a fantastic job and very much appreciated (salary as well)!! No need to work silly shifts and weekends any more.....bliss Its what you make of your life that counts...being happy
Old Jan 28th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ftdsunburst
I know that degree level is accepted without any further updates other than the crne exam. Transcript from the NMC got to CARNA OK...just using the forum as a sounding off board! Best thing is I am now in Canada and find it more relaxed than the Uk. Got a fantastic job and very much appreciated (salary as well)!! No need to work silly shifts and weekends any more.....bliss Its what you make of your life that counts...being happy
Glad it worked out for you.
It is always good to have a 'sound off'.

Enjoy your time here and your job.