Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nurse and Firefighter hoping to relocate to Canada

Nurse and Firefighter hoping to relocate to Canada

Old May 5th 2014, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Loveofcanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nurse and Firefighter hoping to relocate to Canada

Hi, I am new to this site and am finding it very useful reading. I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this for us. I am an Emergency Department Staff Nurse in the UK and my husband is a Firefighter. I know that nursing is a career welcomed in Canada but is it still the case that Firefighters are not as easily accepted! Thank you lots for your help in anticipation. Em
Old May 5th 2014, 1:15 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurse and Firefighter hoping to relocate to Canada

Hi and welcome to BE

I can't help with your query I'm afraid as I am in the US, but I've moved your thread to our Canada forum for you.
Old May 5th 2014, 1:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

I have no idea regarding whether firefighters are needed but you could look at the different firefighters recruiting links on this website.

http://www.firehall.com/recruitment_links.php

Old May 5th 2014, 1:41 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loveofcanada
Hi, I am new to this site and am finding it very useful reading. I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on this for us. I am an Emergency Department Staff Nurse in the UK and my husband is a Firefighter. I know that nursing is a career welcomed in Canada but is it still the case that Firefighters are not as easily accepted! Thank you lots for your help in anticipation. Em
Hmm well I can only speak for Ontario, but no they certainly don't welcome you. It is exceptionally difficult and drawn out process to get qualifications recognised. I'm in the process myself and may well not see it through either. I don't mean to burst your bubble and maybe other provinces are more receptive to nurses. I also don't think there is a shortage of nurses around either. There are various threads on how difficult it is. You might want to read them. Sorry!!!!
Old May 5th 2014, 1:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Hmm well I can only speak for Ontario, but no they certainly don't welcome you. It is exceptionally difficult and drawn out process to get qualifications recognised. I'm in the process myself and may well not see it through either. I don't mean to burst your bubble and maybe other provinces are more receptive to nurses. I also don't think there is a shortage of nurses around either. There are various threads on how difficult it is. You might want to read them. Sorry!!!!
Nurse is on 'the list' of professions that are in demand at the moment.

Old May 5th 2014, 1:46 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Firefighting jobs are not easy to come by in BC. Paid on-call is often the only way in.
Old May 5th 2014, 2:42 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Firefighting jobs are not easy to come by in BC. Paid on-call is often the only way in.
It's the same in Nova Scotia. Virtually impossible to get in.
Old May 5th 2014, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Reidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond reputeReidies has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, I didn't even bother to look for a job as a nurse. My friend who moved over as the main applicant in 2011, started the loooong process to get registered in Ontario and gave up. It may be easier in other provinces.
Firefighters I have no idea.
Good luck!
Old May 5th 2014, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

My wife is also a nurse , the powers that be made it so bloody difficult for her to work here that she gave up in the end , their loss.
Old May 5th 2014, 7:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Nurse is on 'the list' of professions that are in demand at the moment.

Surprised to see them back on the list especially with things being pretty tough for nurses in AB and couple other provinces. Even then the process for IEN with the provincial colleges of RN are long and for most require some form of assessment before being allowed to sit the nursing exam.
Old May 5th 2014, 7:44 pm
Banned

There is a new method of gaining recognition of nursing qualifications from August 2014.

http://www.nnas.ca/
Effective August 12, 2014, in order to apply to be a nurse in Canada (except Quebec and Territories), all international educated nurse applicants will require their documents and credentials to be submitted to and verified by the National Nursing Assessment Service (NNAS).
  • A single window online process to begin the application process to any province in Canada (except Quebec and Territories).
  • Ability to complete your application online and to pay for your initial assessment online
  • One central location to send your documents
  • A centralized credential assessment process Access to a 1-800 customer care telephone number with service in English or French
  • Ability to track the status of your application online through the NNAS website
Old May 5th 2014, 8:56 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

But all that's done is nationalise it. You can do all those things now in Ontario. It doesn't mean it will be quicker, possibly longer since it's one service for all, and then they still probably want you to do OSCE and then sit CRNE to meet provincial requirements. Sigh. Maybe I'm being cynical but rarely does change mean better efficiency.

Last edited by Tirytory; May 5th 2014 at 9:47 pm.
Old May 5th 2014, 9:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But all that's done is nationalise it. You can do all those things now in Ontario. It doesn't mean it will be quicker, possibly longer since it's one service for all, and then they still probably want you to do OSCE and then sit CRNE to meet provincial requirements. Sigh. Maybe I'm being cynical but rarely does changes mean better efficiency.
I'm sure there are counter examples, but that strikes me as being true, profoundly true.
Old May 5th 2014, 9:40 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Too many years working in the NHS where change was generally for changes sake....although of course you're right Novo there are always exceptions to the rule.

I don't believe one government type organisation is that different to another.

Last edited by Tirytory; May 5th 2014 at 9:46 pm.
Old May 5th 2014, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

But I also read on that link that you still have to apply to the provincial college once the assessment is complete.

Once all documents are received and an assessment of international credentials is complete, applicants will be notified by the NNAS. They may then apply to the regulatory body in the province where they wish to work, to complete the assessment for eligibility to practice as nurse.

file:///C:/Users/annathea/Downloads/INITIAL%20NNAS%20MESSAGE%20FOR%20RELEASE%20ON%20NN AS%20CA%20%2023-01-2014%20(1).pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.