Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nurse emigrating ?

Nurse emigrating ?

Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

OntarioIsForLovers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurse emigrating ?

Honestly as a nurse working in Canada silver dragon, is it worth all the stress??
Old Aug 30th 2013, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

For me yes it is worth it. I get paid more than I would in the UK,(qualified as EN in 88 and RN in 98) I get OT if I want and the stresses are in one way the same but in another different.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
As Silver dragon has said, it is expensive, it is stressful, for me also it has been worth it.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Currently no courses are run in the UK to top up hours to meet other countries requirements making it harder for nurses to move overseas.

And why would the NHS do that, really? Why would they want to offer top up courses so highly trained staff can easily move overseas? I guess a private enterprise could attempt to offer these courses

Also a lot of provinces now require International Educated Nurses (IEN) to do some form of assessment and for a lot further courses are required costing $$
Again, why wouldn't they make it more difficult?! Earns them more money , and attempts to prove eveyone is at the same level/standard. Coming from the UK, you are simply "foreign", and no different or any more special than someone trained in Australia, Albania or Nigeria.

Not being flippant - just throwing another point of view out there...

And I'm sure there are political implications too - different agreements between different countries in accepting the equivalencies, not just in nursing but across the professions. And that goes for the UK too.

UK-trained GP's still have to jump through many hoops here - and the cynical might believe that is because Canadain trained GP's were not being accepted in the UK as equivalent - though I believe that has recently changed or is about to.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
As well as paying out to go through the process let me tell you it isn't cheap maintaining a nurses license. Average is $500 - 600 a year. I know mine has just gone up this year to $565.80
I find this mind boggling.
You nurses have to do years of training, hard graft in a stressful workplace and have to PAY for the privilege?!
Old Aug 31st 2013, 12:05 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010
You nurses have to do years of training, hard graft in a stressful workplace and have to PAY for the privilege?!
Not just nurses. I pay $468 + $531 each year to work as a Medical Radiation Technologist.
Old Aug 31st 2013, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010
Not paying for the privilege of working - just "protecting the public" is what we are told!!
Old Aug 31st 2013, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

lana21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your helpful and insightful information, I am doing a pre reg adult nursing degree but for me to qualify I have to have experience in every field also, this new programme has only come about since 2012 but again it sounds like I will need further experience in all fields to the meet entry requirements, I will fully look into it again! Thanks for everyone's help!
Old Aug 31st 2013, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

lana21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for replying !!! I think I have a lot of research to do in advance before I make any decisions ! I am doing adult nursing but my course now you have to have experience in each field! I will keep looking into things for now
Thanks for the helpful advice !

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette
Hi Lana

Have a thought and do some research on which province and area of Canada you would like to live / work in.

I believe that you will need at least one year post registration practice under your belt before applying.
Are you undertaking the Diploma / Degree?
Is it Adult course?

Contact the relevant nursing college for the province you would like to work in, have your qualifications assessed by them. You may need to do some assessments if you lack the hours in Paeds, MH, Maternal Health.

Once you have this done you can then apply for jobs through the relevant hospital websites. (Although it was only 5 years ago, I e-mailed my resume to various hospitals HR departments, they were then sent on to their international recruitment departments)

Put simply in a nutshell- Once you have been assessed and secured a job, you will receive an LMO, apply for TWP and move over. Once you are in employment you can then apply to sit the CRNE (Canadian Registered Nurses Exam), although some people have sat the exam before coming to work in Canada.

I hope this is helpful to you?

MJ
Old Sep 28th 2013, 2:47 pm
Account Closed

MrsL22 is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I qualified this month in Uk and I'm now a PR and in Manitoba.

I'm looking to Register in either Manitoba or Alberta.

Does anyone know anything about the BIEN courses for these provinces. I seem to be drawing a blank on google
Old Sep 29th 2013, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsL22
Hi All,

I qualified this month in Uk and I'm now a PR and in Manitoba.

I'm looking to Register in either Manitoba or Alberta.

Does anyone know anything about the BIEN courses for these provinces. I seem to be drawing a blank on google
it may be worth contacting the relevant Nursing colleges for Manitoba and Alberta. Also speak with the international recruitment teams for more info.

Sorry, only on here for a short while.

Good luck