Ns work

Old Jun 3rd 2014, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Mattfox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ns work

New member here, so please be gentle. I'm looking to move myself and my family to Nova Scotia as a possible destination. Can anyone tell me what the work is like there. I'm a qualified electrician, pipe fitter/plumber and gas engineer.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 2:59 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ns work

to BE! You'll find tons of information on the forum, but you'll probably not get many people answering such a broad question. Have a read through the wiki (linked at the top) and do a bit of research about work permits in Canada and requirements for your line of work as often those areas are regulated trades. Once you've done a bit of research, post back with some specific questions and you will find lots more people willing to help you out.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that. Will do. Was looking more to know if nova scotia had plenty of work for trades?
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Where I live we are always looking for good electrician, plumber. Think you will have to pass exams to meet NS requirements
Old Jun 4th 2014, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Where I live we are always looking for good electrician, plumber. Think you will have to pass exams to meet NS requirements
How about carpenters? Much demand where you are for them?
Old Jun 4th 2014, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

People usually go by word of mouth so I would say with any tradesmen working independently once you've been there for a while & built up a good reputation you should find work ok, it's the initial time that will be difficult.

Bottom line is no matter where you live someone will always need something done on their property, whether or not you will get that work depends on how good you are, if your costs are reasonable, & how well you can network.

The undutchables - do you know where you are heading to yet?
Old Jun 4th 2014, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
People usually go by word of mouth so I would say with any tradesmen working independently once you've been there for a while & built up a good reputation you should find work ok, it's the initial time that will be difficult.

Bottom line is no matter where you live someone will always need something done on their property, whether or not you will get that work depends on how good you are, if your costs are reasonable, & how well you can network.

This I have to agree with. NS really depends on word of mouth but at the same time I am willing to help someone get their foot through the door as long as work is reasonable, done in a timely manner and price is reasonable.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

confused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond reputeconfused_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
This I have to agree with. NS really depends on word of mouth but at the same time I am willing to help someone get their foot through the door as long as work is reasonable, done in a timely manner and price is reasonable.
I've had some shockingly bad ones over the years, when I first bought the house I asked one electrician to go through & check all the electrics to make sure they are safe & worked properly. He said everything was fine he just had to put a shaver socket in the bathroom (I'm not sure why), he charged me $300. The next time I was at the house I noticed bare wires on one on the light fittings, lots of floor sockets including in the kitchen (which I believe is considered a hazard) & various sockets & lights that didn't work. When I queried him his response was 'oh I hadn't noticed that, yeah you should get that sorted it's dangerous' & 'those just don't work, they're probably not connected' (they were, the fuses had just blown, something he would've noticed if he'd done a proper inspection).

I had a different electrician in after that sorted all these problems & did a few extra jobs for under $200, needless to say the first guy will not get my business again nor would I recommend him to anyone else.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Wherever you in the world you'll always find a John wayne
Old Jun 4th 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mattfox
Wherever you in the world you'll always find a John wayne
Yes, that's why it pays to do a job properly particularly in rural areas if you expect to get repeat business
Old Jun 4th 2014, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

Originally Posted by confused_uk
Halifax, or within reasonable distance to start with, then we may so what our options are. Planning to be out there mid September.