Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS - where did you buy your power converter?

NS - where did you buy your power converter?

Old Feb 17th 2008, 10:55 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default NS - where did you buy your power converter?

Forgive the apparently trivial question, it has been posted after a search on such subjects, however I actually want to know where to go to get a power converter. We went to Home Depot, where we were led to beleive they had them, but the assistant just laughed and said good luck with trying to find one........we didnt find that terribly constructive and so our search stalled this weekend.

So knowing that you are such a vast font of knowledge, thought I would just cut to the chase and ask. Am I asking for the wrong thing? Where did you get one from?

Thanks!!!!!!
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NS - where did you buy your power converter?

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Forgive the apparently trivial question, it has been posted after a search on such subjects, however I actually want to know where to go to get a power converter. We went to Home Depot, where we were led to beleive they had them, but the assistant just laughed and said good luck with trying to find one........we didnt find that terribly constructive and so our search stalled this weekend.

So knowing that you are such a vast font of knowledge, thought I would just cut to the chase and ask. Am I asking for the wrong thing? Where did you get one from?

Thanks!!!!!!
We got ours from here. Very well priced, quick service, would highly recommend:

http://www.voltageconverters.com/vol...onverters.html

HTH
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:03 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean a step down transformer? ie- a device that converts 240v to 110v? like the ones here
http://www.voltage-converter-transfo...ansformer.html
Old Feb 17th 2008, 11:19 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

We are needing a step-up converter. Great links thanks, I was hoping to just pop to a store, but it looks like the internet is the answer, thanks!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:33 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I am confused as to whether we need a step up or a step down converter - we have a UK stereo that we want to use on Canadian power. I can't get my head round if we need to step the power up from the socket 110 to 240, or we are stepping the power down from the stereo to the socket 240 to 110.

Or am I bonkers and there is a one size fits all transformer?

Cheers
Flossie
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:05 am
NS covern member #1

Well I assume it is a step up converter that steps the 110 up to the 240, but I know someone with more brains will clarify this for me.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Well I assume it is a step up converter that steps the 110 up to the 240, but I know someone with more brains will clarify this for me.
Correct, you will require a stepup transformer. The voltage in Canada is nominally 110V so you will need to step up the voltage to 240V for UK devices. Don't forget the frequency in Canada is different from the UK at 60Hz not 50Hz so any device sensitive to frequency may run faster, overheat or not work...!

Voltage Converters provide really good devices with proper protection. Have seen many inferior devices in Vancouver which I would not use.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of
Talking Re: NS - where did you buy your power converter?

Voltage Converters are the place to go - the one we bought was less than a quarter of the price of buying one in the UK!
Old Feb 18th 2008, 4:30 pm
NS covern member #1

Just realised that we dont have a current credit card so that is tricky with internet purchases right? Bugger. Any ideas on a store I could get one?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

Mikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to allMikelesley is a name known to all

Forgive me but is it not easier just to buy a new "stereo" when in Canada?
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:23 pm
NS covern member #1

Might be a hardcore stereo - who knows. I know my OH has a stereo (seperates) that has not even been unpacked in the last 5 years! I keep telling him it is taking up too much loft space, but he still seems resistant

We have lots of power tools that we dont intend replacing, as well as a sewing machine, lots of things that wont be plugged in permanently, but all cost too much to replace at this point.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:56 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

The key thing about step-up transformers is that you have to buy one that is rated according to what wattage your appliance is. So if you wanted to power a UK kettle (which would normally be something like 1300W as it has a heating element in it that draws lots of power) then your step-up transformer would be an enourmous unit costing hundreds of dollars. In other words it wouldnt be worth it - just buy a new kettle. On the other hand something like a Stereo or PC wouldnt draw much power so you could probably get away with a small innexpensive unit.

I planned to buy step-up transformers but I have to say I never bothered in the end. I found that some electrical appliances (like DVD players) did actually work even without stepping up the voltage. A couple of appliances that I really wanted to use here were our washing machine and dryer as they were expensive and almost brand new when we moved but it turned out you cant step these up as the cycle frequency is wrong here and they would have burned out. Unfortunately these are about the only things you cant get to work and so we wish we didnt bring them but its too late now.

Other things, like power tools, I figured I might as well just replace over time as I need them. I figured that if the drill or whatever breaks and has to be replaced anyway then the step-up transformer ends up being a bit of a waste of money.

I guess it would be worth it if you did have a really high-end stereo or something.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
The key thing about step-up transformers is that you have to buy one that is rated according to what wattage your appliance is. So if you wanted to power a UK kettle (which would normally be something like 1300W as it has a heating element in it that draws lots of power) then your step-up transformer would be an enourmous unit costing hundreds of dollars. In other words it wouldnt be worth it - just buy a new kettle. On the other hand something like a Stereo or PC wouldnt draw much power so you could probably get away with a small innexpensive unit.

I planned to buy step-up transformers but I have to say I never bothered in the end. I found that some electrical appliances (like DVD players) did actually work even without stepping up the voltage. A couple of appliances that I really wanted to use here were our washing machine and dryer as they were expensive and almost brand new when we moved but it turned out you cant step these up as the cycle frequency is wrong here and they would have burned out. Unfortunately these are about the only things you cant get to work and so we wish we didnt bring them but its too late now.

Other things, like power tools, I figured I might as well just replace over time as I need them. I figured that if the drill or whatever breaks and has to be replaced anyway then the step-up transformer ends up being a bit of a waste of money.

I guess it would be worth it if you did have a really high-end stereo or something.
We had a UK spec Bose Hi Fi which works well on a voltager converter. A 3kw unit is heavy and bulky and costs about 75 pounds - worth it if you have things like a pressure washer to bring with you and various other power tools.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

pretz has a brilliant futurepretz has a brilliant futurepretz has a brilliant futurepretz has a brilliant futurepretz has a brilliant futurepretz has a brilliant future

One other suggestion. Some appliances have built-in transformers that you may not realise. Look on the back or bottom of the electrical good, if it says "input 220V" then you need a step up transformer. If it says 110-220V then happy days, just get an adapter to fit the plug and it will work.

Maybe most people know this but as a non electrical type it was news to me when I moved over.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Toaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant futureToaris has a brilliant future

Just get an electrician to wire up an additional socket for 220/230VAC (socket is slightly different). You already have 220VAC for your cooker and dryer in the house in the distribution panel, all you need to do is find a spare dual MCB position. The cost won't be more than an expensive step up transformer and it will certainly be a lot more efficient.

Perfectly legal, the socket is used for power tools or high power Airconditioning units, but check the local regs and electrician for advice. I run my 240VAC tools off this quite nicely.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.