Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS, whats is the attraction for you?

NS, whats is the attraction for you?

Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NS, whats is the attraction for you?

Originally Posted by Howefamily
dont like that at all!
Well, nor me, but it met the criteria and I only spent 2 minutes on it. I even let the dubious implied claim that Halifax is a major city slide.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:26 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

what?! dont you mean you like all of it? dont tell me you are another - dont like humidity person!!
I don't like humidity
But I love sunshine and summer

I also don't like Racoons, Flurries in October (or snow, EVER), Tim Hortons coffee (or any coffee)
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Regardless of cheap vs expensive, UK crime vs NS crime, etc etc
I like it here. The UK could become the most wonderful place in the world and I would still want to be here.
I loved England, my gran lived in a chocolate box cottage at the foot of the downs in pretty Sussex and I have great memories but I wanted to live here.

I like the stop signs, Tim Hortons, talk of "flurries" on the radio in October, the ciccadas in the summer, the humidity (yes I know I must be the only one),our house, our neighbourhood, our pool , Dairy Queen, raccoons with their bandit faces, Wendys, Montanas, lots of trees, stunning and I mean STUNNING beaches. The fog on the highway, the sun glinting on the lakes that I drive past every day.

For me its a feeling.
Ditto all that! we have been here about 1 month so far, some things are still strange and new but we really love it here. we have yet to see a living racoon, they dpn't seem to have any road sense here.
lol about your cats response to the bandits in your back yard lol
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:27 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Well, nor me, but it met the criteria and I only spent 2 minutes on it. I even let the dubious implied claim that Halifax is a major city slide.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:29 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

It is in Ireland and not far from water by the look of the map but rather reminds me of Llanelli (shudder!)
Yes the calling of Halifax a city makes me smile still.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:31 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just add that I smile as I am from the southeast of England and used to very large suburban areas. I still prefer Halifax to any of those large sprawling grey ugly places like Croydon though
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:36 pm
The Brit is back

Can I just add that I smile as I am from the southeast of England and used to very large suburban areas. I still prefer Halifax to any of those large sprawling grey ugly places like Croydon though
No, you can't
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:38 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I like...Tim Hortons...Dairy Queen...Wendys...Montanas

For me its a feeling.
Heartburn?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:38 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Lorry1
No, you can't
well I just did!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It is in Ireland and not far from water by the look of the map but rather reminds me of Llanelli (shudder!)
Yes the calling of Halifax a city makes me smile still.
He asked for "UK", if I hadn't found something quickly there then, yes, next Wales, Scotland, Merseyside and so on. They're not the fashionable and expensive parts of the UK but then he's not looking at Kitsilano either.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:42 pm
Happy

He asked for "UK", if I hadn't found something quickly there then, yes, next Wales, Scotland, Merseyside and so on. They're not the fashionable and expensive parts of the UK but then he's not looking at Kitsilano either.
How about somewhere say in Shere or Godalming? I would say they are as nice as where I am now or how about the New Forest?
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:45 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by el_richo
Heartburn?
yum scrum more like
Old Oct 27th 2011, 4:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

How about somewhere say in Shere or Godalming? I would say they are as nice as where I am now or how about the New Forest?
I'm not sure what you're getting at. The poster asserted that, if he moved to the back of beyond, he could buy a cheap house. I think I've shown that that's true in the UK as it is in Canada. Godalming is not some far-flung windswept nowhere.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:00 pm
Happy

I'm not sure what you're getting at. The poster asserted that, if he moved to the back of beyond, he could buy a cheap house. I think I've shown that that's true in the UK as it is in Canada. Godalming is not some far-flung windswept nowhere.
true. I was going off down the road of can you find me that value in a pretty south eastern corner of the UK.
Thats all.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

OK but Canada isn't that cheap anymore either, is it? Unless you move very rural like an hour or more outside a major city, then prices here are expensive too...and rising!
Lots of Canada is cheap without it being rural. A city doesn't have to be major to have all the amenities one needs and more.

But checking Montreal's South Shore (City of Longueuil; pop 230,000 and just 20 minutes from Montreal by car or metro) where I lived before moving here in 2005, I see 3 bed semis and 2 bed bungalows for $190k.

My old house in Bristol was sold on last year for £190k. That's ££ not $$

Originally Posted by jericho
Cheap is a relative term.
Too right it is.

Here's my old 2 bed, terraced house with on street parking in Bristol. Bottom

Above it is my 4 bedroom, detached, double lot house with drive and garage.

What I sold my house for would have bought 2 of these and left a $100k.

Even with the fall in the exchange rate, what that old house got last year would buy two.

I'm not in a major city, but it's bigger than Bath; Lovely beach 20 minutes away, 2 minutes on foot from a hospital comparable to the Bristol Royal Infirmary and I'm just as close to the centre of the city as I was in Bristol.

Salaries are less here also.
True. But that can be evened up with the low or no mortgage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.