Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS Flyng and biting insects

NS Flyng and biting insects

Old Jun 20th 2010, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Lady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant futureLady Locket has a brilliant future
Default Re: NS Flyng and biting insects

We've been out for a few weeks in both May and September, and haven't had a problem. In fact I got virtually eaten alive back in Dorset, UK, when we visited friends in May - so my bug reaction seems more geared to the UK than NS! However I am sure we will experience more when we actually move out there and spend a whole summer there. For my two cents worth, Citronella and Eucalyptus are very effective against many biting bugs and are often found as the active ingrediant in many commercial bug sprays.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

I am pretty nervous about this as I am generally a bug magnet and am also allergic to both sprays with DEET in and afterbite (amongst other things).

We have visited NS so far in April and late August. No problems in April and one mossie bite in August, so I was quite relieved (used citronella based spray when we were out in the evenings).

We will be living near to the ocean but also near to woods, but I don't think there is fresh water very close by so I hope it wont be too bad

I have heard you can buy a "vac" to put on the deck that lures the bugs in and then zaps them. Anyone got any experience of how effective, expensive and easy to use these are?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

I suffer here in the UK from bites & have had 3 really nasty reactions to horsefly bites.

Last year while in NS (last 2 weeks of September) I got bitten by mozzies a lot - it's the one thing i'm really not looking forward too about moving to NS. My friend said not to wear perfume or scented deodorant as they are attracted by them.

My hubby never gets bitten, he must have rhino skin as we watched a mozzie land on him try to 'bite' him then give up & head for me

So i'm going to get myself one of these bug suits, go unwashed, smear myself in marmite & dab citronella & eucalyptus oil everywhere - it won't just be the bugs that stay away from me then
Attached Thumbnails NS Flyng and biting insects-bug-suit.jpg  

Last edited by Arris; Jun 20th 2010 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:29 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

June and August are the worst months for bugs. Blackfly are rampant at the moment. They are the ones that sneak up on you and often you can feel nothing until 4-6 hours later when the swelling starts. For me, the swelling lasts around 3 days if I don't scratch.

Usually you can feel mozzies bite at the time and can apply Afterbite or Benedryl straight away. You can also hear mozzies if they are around your head, unlike blackfly. Blackfly love the scalp and hairline.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/bug...ther_bugreport
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
June and August are the worst months for bugs. Blackfly are rampant at the moment. They are the ones that sneak up on you and often you can feel nothing until 4-6 hours later when the swelling starts. For me, the swelling lasts around 3 days if I don't scratch.

Usually you can feel mozzies bite at the time and can apply Afterbite or Benedryl straight away. You can also hear mozzies if they are around your head, unlike blackfly. Blackfly love the scalp and hairline.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/bug...ther_bugreport
Thanks Cookie, useful advice & links too
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:39 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
Here is the Canada bug report website:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/ind...cancitiesns_en

This is high bug season. I am sporting a swollen neck where I was bitten yesterday. Actually had blood running down my neck Already been bitten a couple of times in the head I still get back reactions to bites and this will be my 4th summer. My house is surrounded by trees which is great for them but not for me at this time of the year.

You have to use bug spray to try and keep them away but it doesn't always work, plus you don't always remember to put it on. Bugs also have a way of biting that tiny patch of flesh that was missed during spraying. I have bought a 'natural' type spray today and will let you know how I get on. I smell like citronella.

Stock up on Afterbite, antihistamine tablets and Benedryl cream!
oooh citronella is a really nice smell. I will be interested to hear how you get on with that.
Discovered last night that you can also buy something from Home Depot for your house that costs about $70 but covers an acre, not sure how its meant to work but its sounding good to me.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:42 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pebblebeach View Post
I am pretty nervous about this as I am generally a bug magnet and am also allergic to both sprays with DEET in and afterbite (amongst other things).

We have visited NS so far in April and late August. No problems in April and one mossie bite in August, so I was quite relieved (used citronella based spray when we were out in the evenings).

We will be living near to the ocean but also near to woods, but I don't think there is fresh water very close by so I hope it wont be too bad

I have heard you can buy a "vac" to put on the deck that lures the bugs in and then zaps them. Anyone got any experience of how effective, expensive and easy to use these are?
Hi, I am sure this is what we were talking about on the deck last night, its about $70 from Home Depot, Nikki Dreaming has it.. perhaps she will be able to give more info.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 12:43 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Arris View Post
I suffer here in the UK from bites & have had 3 really nasty reactions to horsefly bites.

Last year while in NS (last 2 weeks of September) I got bitten by mozzies a lot - it's the one thing i'm really not looking forward too about moving to NS. My friend said not to wear perfume or scented deodorant as they are attracted by them.

My hubby never gets bitten, he must have rhino skin as we watched a mozzie land on him try to 'bite' him then give up & head for me

So i'm going to get myself one of these http://www.outinstyle.com/Merchant2/...RCO-9532_d.jpg, go unwashed, smear myself in marmite & dab citronella & eucalyptus oil everywhere - it won't just be the bugs that stay away from me then
LOL LOL
But seriously - this is my only worry about moving out here.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Oh YUM....bet you smell heavenly....most women would keep away too
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by Simon Legree View Post
Personally, for repellent I use bacon fat and eucalyptus oil
Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:08 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post
Hi, I am sure this is what we were talking about on the deck last night, its about $70 from Home Depot, Nikki Dreaming has it.. perhaps she will be able to give more info.
Hi

We have this one, we got it for under $100 in CT on sale, fingers x to date we have not had any bugs really at home that we have seen or caused any trouble. We set this up in April before the bugs start to arrive it works on the basis of killing the life cycle. You replace the cartridge thing each month through the summer, they cost about $22 for 2 in a pack.

We were wary whether or not it would work, but gave it a try and definitely think it is doing something, when we go to the neighbours house, the mozzies are flying all around,

Would recommend definitely, however not sure how effective it will be if you are near water etc??

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Old Jun 20th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Pebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nicePebblebeach is just really nice

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming View Post
Hi

We have this one, we got it for under $100 in CT on sale, fingers x to date we have not had any bugs really at home that we have seen or caused any trouble. We set this up in April before the bugs start to arrive it works on the basis of killing the life cycle. You replace the cartridge thing each month through the summer, they cost about $22 for 2 in a pack.

We were wary whether or not it would work, but gave it a try and definitely think it is doing something, when we go to the neighbours house, the mozzies are flying all around,

Would recommend definitely, however not sure how effective it will be if you are near water etc??

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows....jsp?locale=en
Ahh, that's the thing I was wondering about. Good to hear it is working for you. Thanks for the link, there seems to be ones that work in different ways.
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post
LOL LOL
But seriously - this is my only worry about moving out here.
I agree, thats the bit i'm least looking forward to especially as we want water! My mum has severe reactions to mozzie bites so need to find something apart from a bee keepers outfit!! Otherwise she will not visit some say whay hey but it would be a shame!!
Old Jun 20th 2010, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

If youa re a bug magnet like me you will probably get eaten alive whatever you do for your first summer, I found that the second and third summers they aren't finding me as tasty.

The best place is on the Atlantic coast as the breeze from the ocean keeps them away.

The bug control machines (propane or electric) help at home but always wear bug spray if you are outside and cover up in the evening (just like anywhere else really)
Old Jun 21st 2010, 12:17 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by daisychain View Post
I was wondering about them to as we are hopefully headed to muskoka in ontario and would like a place on the lake

Do you know if there is a 'season' for them? When they come and go?

Good luck with your recce we are doing ours in October!
Ontario, plenty of bugs here but not so many as in previous years- yet.

Here's some info and handy advice from a Muskoka resident

http://mymuskoka.blogspot.com/2010/0...gs-update.html
Old Jun 21st 2010, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

daisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant futuredaisychain has a brilliant future

Thanks for the link it is very helpful!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.