Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NS car insurance

NS car insurance

Old Aug 6th 2009, 11:11 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NS car insurance

Hello, I wondered what car insurance companies (in NS) that people decided to go with and did you get a good deal. I'm with johnsons and thinking of changing to see if I can get cheaper.

I didn't find much in the search function.

thanks
Old Aug 6th 2009, 11:31 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NS car insurance

Emma, how much do you pay for your current policy?

We use Atlantic Insurance (brokers). We pay around $800 for 2006 CRV which is more expensive than last year (but have heard that other BE folks had an increase this year too)
Old Aug 6th 2009, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Use a broker and they shopped around and this year ended up with ING for both House and truck insurance and saved over $2000 combined than stay with the company we was with.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 11:34 pm

Can't remember the whole year but I pay about $115 per month
Old Aug 6th 2009, 11:42 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Hello, I wondered what car insurance companies (in NS) that people decided to go with and did you get a good deal. I'm with johnsons and thinking of changing to see if I can get cheaper.

I didn't find much in the search function.

thanks
Try www.insurancehotline.com. Supposedly they take your info and provide you with the best three quotes.
Old Aug 6th 2009, 11:53 pm

It was asking me about class 5 then class 7 licenses etc.. and I got stuck no contact number. I find it hard when you have a uk license and only passed your test in Canada a few months back.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:11 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

It was asking me about class 5 then class 7 licenses etc.. and I got stuck no contact number. I find it hard when you have a uk license and only passed your test in Canada a few months back.
Emma we got our first quote with a UK license - told it made no difference if we did not have a NS license. We did have proof of UK driving history though. Try phoning Kirkby Bannerman at Atlantic Insurance, NG because they quote for all over the province. Tell him you know me
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:45 am
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of

We used Johnsons as well.We've only been here about 3 weeks and insured our car for about $800 with UK license.We brought all our UK history and the DVLA driver history.
I dont think the type or size of car makes much of a difference.

Today we were quoted about $900 to insure a home we're looking at.....I thought this was a bit steep....I dont know?
Old Aug 7th 2009, 12:54 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budcolin
We used Johnsons as well.We've only been here about 3 weeks and insured our car for about $800 with UK license.We brought all our UK history and the DVLA driver history.
I dont think the type or size of car makes much of a difference.

Today we were quoted about $900 to insure a home we're looking at.....I thought this was a bit steep....I dont know?
I am with Johnsons too, paying about $900 for our vehicle on uk driving licence but did have to fax over UK no claims history, didnt think this was too bad............................

House contents insurance however

$700 this is just for $100,000 contents, NO buildings as this is covered by our landlords. We are in a very old house though, 2x wood fires/stoves, no water hook up outside the house etc so guess we are classed as high risk property.

I am currently awaiting a quote from my work as I get 25% discount to compare with the Johnsons prices, although may not be worth cancelling mid term as you get financial penalties I believe.

I know some people have haggled with Johnsons and achieved results
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:04 am
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
I am with Johnsons too, paying about $900 for our vehicle on uk driving licence but did have to fax over UK no claims history, didnt think this was too bad............................

House contents insurance however

$700 this is just for $100,000 contents, NO buildings as this is covered by our landlords. We are in a very old house though, 2x wood fires/stoves, no water hook up outside the house etc so guess we are classed as high risk property.

I am currently awaiting a quote from my work as I get 25% discount to compare with the Johnsons prices, although may not be worth cancelling mid term as you get financial penalties I believe.

I know some people have haggled with Johnsons and achieved results
I'll pm you some insurance info
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by budcolin
I'll pm you some insurance info
Me too
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:21 am
Wellington NS

Me too
Sorry, how rude

I'll pm you
Old Aug 7th 2009, 1:27 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

I would set aside an hour and grab a phone book, flip to the insurance section of the yellow pages and phone 4 or 5 brokers to get quotes. They will usually quote you a price over the phone or will call you back in a short period of time.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:52 am

i only have 4 years no claims I guess this is where my problem is.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

We were with Johnsons, but Zive Insurance quoted nearly $400 less