Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

nova scotia.........why ?

nova scotia.........why ?

Old May 15th 2007, 11:16 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 16
davek is an unknown quantity at this point
Question nova scotia.........why ?

i have many threads on the subject of moving to nova scotia and wonder what the main reasons are for choosing this province.....as far as i can see possibly job options are low,kids migrate away,weather not brilliant,infrastructure not great and halifax shuts down over winter........have i got my impression all wrong ?
davek is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 12:45 am
  #2  
Scottish Canuck
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Auld Scotia > Nova Scotia > Calgary
Posts: 3,703
Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

Originally Posted by davek View Post
i have many threads on the subject of moving to nova scotia and wonder what the main reasons are for choosing this province.....as far as i can see possibly job options are low,kids migrate away,weather not brilliant,infrastructure not great and halifax shuts down over winter........have i got my impression all wrong ?

Halifax and Nova Scotia does not 'shut down' for winter. If you travel around the province as a tourist during the winter months then expect typical touristy museums, galleries, rural tearooms etc to be closed but the rest of the province carries on as normal. Even in the UK a lot of touristy places are shut as its not viable off season.

Here in my town of New Glasgow its business as usual. The cinema complex, bowling, ice rinks (indoor and outdoor), swimming, all kinds of winter sports/indoor sports, restaurants (even have 3 chinese restaurants here) all still open. The only thing I am waiting to open for this summer is the large outdoor pool in the town next door and the drive-in movie theatre.

The local newpapers are full of community activities going on. If there is one thing for sure over here, its the abundance of activities the community get involved in whether sports, recreation or fundraisers. In fact I have never so so many fundraisers in my life - and they don't simply shake a can to get your cash either. Nearly everyone here seems to be a volunteer. They put in a lot of hard work and effort to help the community - pancake breakfasts, Casino nights, BBQs at firestations, benefit concerts and dances to name but a few.

It's a great attitude to have

Re jobs. I suppose it depends on what you do. My OH got a job offer before we came. He had worked offshore in North Sea as Telecoms Tech and works in telecom here too. Lots of universities in NS and am sure that many youngsters get wonderlust and head off to the big cities, but at the same time I am sure many people live here all their lives, just the same as other places. Many NS people have headed over to Alberta to work in the oil industry. Some people work on a rota, returning to their family here and others packed up and moved. Wages tend to be lower here but then so is the house prices. Now that my family are settled into our new home I need to get myself a p/t job as I am on here far too much

Infrastructure - can only report on things up in New Glasgow. Good sized hospital here but cannot get registered with a Dr. However, I have used the walk-in clinic which was fine. Strangely enough there is no bus service within NG itself so you really need a car. No train either unless I drive 45 minutes to Truro but by then I am half way to Halifax anyway. Up here the low volume of traffic is fab. I now consider a traffic jam to be 4 cars in front of me at the red lights

It's a gentler way of life here and we really like it. People are so friendly. The slower-paced lifestyle may take some getting used to if you are from a large city. If you like everything on your doorstep 24/7, high end fashion and hot-footing it into town for some clubbing etc then Nova Scotia is probably not for you, but it does offer a great quality lifestyle.

If you intend coming over for a visit be sure to pick up local newspapers because thats where all the community 'what's on' information is.

I myself, intend being a tourist this summer and getting to know other areas of NS and PEI.

Crikey, thats a long post. I nearly had to split it into chapters
Cookie is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 1:19 am
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
 
roxye3's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia.
Posts: 454
roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

I live in Yarmouth and I could not agree more. Jolly good show YES-CAN-DO.
roxye3 is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 1:23 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 16
davek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do View Post
Halifax and Nova Scotia does not 'shut down' for winter. If you travel around the province as a tourist during the winter months then expect typical touristy museums, galleries, rural tearooms etc to be closed but the rest of the province carries on as normal. Even in the UK a lot of touristy places are shut as its not viable off season.

Here in my town of New Glasgow its business as usual. The cinema complex, bowling, ice rinks (indoor and outdoor), swimming, all kinds of winter sports/indoor sports, restaurants (even have 3 chinese restaurants here) all still open. The only thing I am waiting to open for this summer is the large outdoor pool in the town next door and the drive-in movie theatre.

The local newpapers are full of community activities going on. If there is one thing for sure over here, its the abundance of activities the community get involved in whether sports, recreation or fundraisers. In fact I have never so so many fundraisers in my life - and they don't simply shake a can to get your cash either. Nearly everyone here seems to be a volunteer. They put in a lot of hard work and effort to help the community - pancake breakfasts, Casino nights, BBQs at firestations, benefit concerts and dances to name but a few.

It's a great attitude to have

Re jobs. I suppose it depends on what you do. My OH got a job offer before we came. He had worked offshore in North Sea as Telecoms Tech and works in telecom here too. Lots of universities in NS and am sure that many youngsters get wonderlust and head off to the big cities, but at the same time I am sure many people live here all their lives, just the same as other places. Many NS people have headed over to Alberta to work in the oil industry. Some people work on a rota, returning to their family here and others packed up and moved. Wages tend to be lower here but then so is the house prices. Now that my family are settled into our new home I need to get myself a p/t job as I am on here far too much

Infrastructure - can only report on things up in New Glasgow. Good sized hospital here but cannot get registered with a Dr. However, I have used the walk-in clinic which was fine. Strangely enough there is no bus service within NG itself so you really need a car. No train either unless I drive 45 minutes to Truro but by then I am half way to Halifax anyway. Up here the low volume of traffic is fab. I now consider a traffic jam to be 4 cars in front of me at the red lights

It's a gentler way of life here and we really like it. People are so friendly. The slower-paced lifestyle may take some getting used to if you are from a large city. If you like everything on your doorstep 24/7, high end fashion and hot-footing it into town for some clubbing etc then Nova Scotia is probably not for you, but it does offer a great quality lifestyle.

If you intend coming over for a visit be sure to pick up local newspapers because thats where all the community 'what's on' information is.

I myself, intend being a tourist this summer and getting to know other areas of NS and PEI.

Crikey, thats a long post. I nearly had to split it into chapters
hi yes-can-do..........many thanks for that..we are v interested in NS....had only really thought about halifax and surrounding area.....why did you choose new glasgow....we are not tied by job location and so feel we must get choice of location right for ourselves and kids....
davek is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 1:50 am
  #5  
NS covern member #1
 
Poppy2's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 968
Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

I am having a low day and reading all that has certainly improved it!!

WE have been in the process of moving to Halifax (and environs) since February, we are waiting and waiting to sell our house in New Zealand and go! My husband has a job in a hospital in Halifax and we just cant wait. We are from the Uk and have been in NZ for nearly 4 years - this last stretch is taking its toll! Financially as well as mentally - we are painfully aware that his new employers may well feel that after 6 months, he should be coming over on his own and leaving me here to sell the house and sort out 3 children - not ideal. Though 6 months isnt until the end of July and things may well be sorted by then.

So I am so pleased to have found this site. I want to know so much about everything!

It sounds like just our kind of place, we want to hurry up and be there already!!

Thanks, Rachel
Poppy2 is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 2:04 am
  #6  
Scottish Canuck
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Auld Scotia > Nova Scotia > Calgary
Posts: 3,703
Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

Originally Posted by davek View Post
hi yes-can-do..........many thanks for that..we are v interested in NS....had only really thought about halifax and surrounding area.....why did you choose new glasgow....we are not tied by job location and so feel we must get choice of location right for ourselves and kids....

Originally OH's job interview was in Dartmouth but then they told him they really wanted him to work for them in New Glasgow. It has come as a bit of a shock as we only researched the Halifax area. Even planned to look at houses in Fall River and other surrounding areas. Great thing about down Halifax way is that rural living can be had within a 15-20 minute drive so you can have the best of both worlds.

However, during our 5-night trip over here we travelled north and spent 3 days in NG and reckoned it had plenty to offer us too, so here we are
Cookie is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 2:12 am
  #7  
Scottish Canuck
 
Cookie's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Auld Scotia > Nova Scotia > Calgary
Posts: 3,703
Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

Originally Posted by Poppy2 View Post
I am having a low day and reading all that has certainly improved it!!

WE have been in the process of moving to Halifax (and environs) since February, we are waiting and waiting to sell our house in New Zealand and go! My husband has a job in a hospital in Halifax and we just cant wait. We are from the Uk and have been in NZ for nearly 4 years - this last stretch is taking its toll! Financially as well as mentally - we are painfully aware that his new employers may well feel that after 6 months, he should be coming over on his own and leaving me here to sell the house and sort out 3 children - not ideal. Though 6 months isnt until the end of July and things may well be sorted by then.

So I am so pleased to have found this site. I want to know so much about everything!

It sounds like just our kind of place, we want to hurry up and be there already!!

Thanks, Rachel
You are certainly moving here from the other side of the world! Can't be easy for you right now but hopefully it won't be long til you all move over.

There are quite a few people on this forum from in and around Halifax. They are a real friendly bunch and helped me with lots of info when I was moving. Of course the whole forum is a great source of info and you'll get lots of support. Any questions, then you can use the search tool above and/or just ask away
Cookie is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 2:16 am
  #8  
NS covern member #1
 
Poppy2's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 968
Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

Thank you so much!

The flood gates of stupid questions are being opened!! It sounds wonderful and from so far away it is hard to not just focus on Halifax and Dartmouth, its very hard to appreciate. But after one huge International move, we are feeling that we have some better grasp of things..............

Thanks
Poppy2 is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 3:12 am
  #9  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 237
howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

Originally Posted by Poppy2 View Post
I am having a low day and reading all that has certainly improved it!!

WE have been in the process of moving to Halifax (and environs) since February, we are waiting and waiting to sell our house in New Zealand and go! My husband has a job in a hospital in Halifax and we just cant wait. We are from the Uk and have been in NZ for nearly 4 years - this last stretch is taking its toll! Financially as well as mentally - we are painfully aware that his new employers may well feel that after 6 months, he should be coming over on his own and leaving me here to sell the house and sort out 3 children - not ideal. Though 6 months isnt until the end of July and things may well be sorted by then.

So I am so pleased to have found this site. I want to know so much about everything!

It sounds like just our kind of place, we want to hurry up and be there already!!

Thanks, Rachel
hi poppy2...we too are english,currently living in new zealand and returning to canada this july....we too are considering halifax and area.....but concerns are schools and amenities...being in NZ makes you want more amenities...why are you leaving and why halifax............
howardk is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 3:17 am
  #10  
NS covern member #1
 
Poppy2's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 968
Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

will start new thread!!! shortly................off to feed small child, then be back!
Poppy2 is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 2:10 pm
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Toronto. ON
Posts: 919
SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

Yep your right..dont come here, weve enough brits already. Go west!

Originally Posted by davek View Post
i have many threads on the subject of moving to nova scotia and wonder what the main reasons are for choosing this province.....as far as i can see possibly job options are low,kids migrate away,weather not brilliant,infrastructure not great and halifax shuts down over winter........have i got my impression all wrong ?
SAW 04 is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 7:22 pm
  #12  
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 1,656
or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do View Post
Halifax and Nova Scotia does not 'shut down' for winter. If you travel around the province as a tourist during the winter months then expect typical touristy museums, galleries, rural tearooms etc to be closed but the rest of the province carries on as normal. Even in the UK a lot of touristy places are shut as its not viable off season.

Here in my town of New Glasgow its business as usual. The cinema complex, bowling, ice rinks (indoor and outdoor), swimming, all kinds of winter sports/indoor sports, restaurants (even have 3 chinese restaurants here) all still open. The only thing I am waiting to open for this summer is the large outdoor pool in the town next door and the drive-in movie theatre.

The local newpapers are full of community activities going on. If there is one thing for sure over here, its the abundance of activities the community get involved in whether sports, recreation or fundraisers. In fact I have never so so many fundraisers in my life - and they don't simply shake a can to get your cash either. Nearly everyone here seems to be a volunteer. They put in a lot of hard work and effort to help the community - pancake breakfasts, Casino nights, BBQs at firestations, benefit concerts and dances to name but a few.

It's a great attitude to have

Re jobs. I suppose it depends on what you do. My OH got a job offer before we came. He had worked offshore in North Sea as Telecoms Tech and works in telecom here too. Lots of universities in NS and am sure that many youngsters get wonderlust and head off to the big cities, but at the same time I am sure many people live here all their lives, just the same as other places. Many NS people have headed over to Alberta to work in the oil industry. Some people work on a rota, returning to their family here and others packed up and moved. Wages tend to be lower here but then so is the house prices. Now that my family are settled into our new home I need to get myself a p/t job as I am on here far too much

Infrastructure - can only report on things up in New Glasgow. Good sized hospital here but cannot get registered with a Dr. However, I have used the walk-in clinic which was fine. Strangely enough there is no bus service within NG itself so you really need a car. No train either unless I drive 45 minutes to Truro but by then I am half way to Halifax anyway. Up here the low volume of traffic is fab. I now consider a traffic jam to be 4 cars in front of me at the red lights

It's a gentler way of life here and we really like it. People are so friendly. The slower-paced lifestyle may take some getting used to if you are from a large city. If you like everything on your doorstep 24/7, high end fashion and hot-footing it into town for some clubbing etc then Nova Scotia is probably not for you, but it does offer a great quality lifestyle.

If you intend coming over for a visit be sure to pick up local newspapers because thats where all the community 'what's on' information is.

I myself, intend being a tourist this summer and getting to know other areas of NS and PEI.

Crikey, thats a long post. I nearly had to split it into chapters
Fantastic post yes-can-do
or4ngecrush is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 9:20 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 16
davek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

Originally Posted by SAW 04 View Post
Yep your right..dont come here, weve enough brits already. Go west!
hi,i guess so...many more opportunities for kids growing up and later in life...west of the maritimes.........
davek is offline  
Old May 16th 2007, 11:40 pm
  #14  
NS covern member #1
 
Poppy2's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 968
Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

SAW 04 - are you joking?? Because sadly for you we are committed with a job offer and on our way.
Poppy2 is offline  
Old May 17th 2007, 3:22 pm
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bedford
Posts: 69
Halifax harpie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: nova scotia.........why ?

Originally Posted by davek View Post
i have many threads on the subject of moving to nova scotia and wonder what the main reasons are for choosing this province.....as far as i can see possibly job options are low,kids migrate away,weather not brilliant,infrastructure not great and halifax shuts down over winter........have i got my impression all wrong ?

Having lived here for 18 months now I would say that
if you want a quiet, unsophisticated way of life, don't have children going to university, are in good health and don't need to shop till you drop, then NS is probably worth considering.
I think what you have to remember is that Nova Scotia is very much the poor relation compared to other provinces in Canada. There is a big debate going on at the moment regarding funding from central government.
Our eldest daughter graduates from St Mary's university, here in Halifax, next week. Not one of her friends has been able to get a job here and have had to move away. She is going back to do her Msc so will be staying for another year, but after that it looks as if she will be heading back to UK.
Her fees this year, just for tuition were C$9800, double what we would have paid if she'd gone to Montreal.
Many places do shut down in winter - the waterfront in Halifax is deserted, only Salty's (a restaurant) stays open. Our local cinema here in Bedford has just closed down permanently. If you go to places like Annopolis and Digby, most of the shops and cafes will be closed. Our closest sports complex in Sackville stays open all year round but the courses they offer are heavily subscribed to so, unless you apply early, you can't get on the courses. If you have younger children who like sport though there will be things for them to do.
Halifax is very much a university town, so from September - April you will find there is lots going on but geared more to the younger generation. The Metro Centre here is our main concert venue. Upcoming acts are Gordon Lightfoot and Nana Mouskouri (I thought she was dead!!). There is a concert 1 July with Niceklback and Daughtry but it seems more acts are choosing to go to Monckton in NB than here in NS.
Health care is much worse than we expected. I was employed as a registered nurse in UK before we moved to Halifax and have been shocked by the standard of services here. A recent story in the news highlighted the difference between Halifax and Toronto - wait for heart operation here is up to 180 days, it's 2 weeks in Toronto. Patients have been given the option of travelling to Toronto for treatment as long as they pay for their own travel and accommodation.
Weather much more like Scotland/Ireland here. Not so much snow, more rain and fog. We had very little snow all winter and the lakes only started to freeze around February.
Shopping is limited to a couple of big centres, that are replicas of each other. Micmac serves Dartmouth, Bayers Lake - Bedford, Halifax shopping centre - Halifax.
You forgot to mention taxation in your originally posting. The minimum wage is higher here than in some other provinces but because of the rate of taxation, workers are worse off. House taxation in HRM (Halifax regional muncipality) is high. We pay C$3000 on our 4 bed house in Bedford. If we could move further away, say to the Valley, it would drop down to less than
C$200 a year. Unfortunately, as my OH is based in Dartmouth, and with children at uni and school, we have to live in HRM area. In many ways, we would be much better off if we could move further out.
Halifax harpie is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.