Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia is sucking the life out of me!

Nova Scotia is sucking the life out of me!

Old Apr 16th 2014, 12:40 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia is sucking the life out of me!

Originally Posted by family_of_4
....when I get home sick I just watch some Jeremy kyle on player and it re confirms why we came in the 1st place, lol.
I laughed at that but then I realised I read it as Jeremy Clarkson and I don't actually know anything about Jeremy Kyle.

So I googled and youtubed and took a look at this.

And I thought there was some tacky trash on TV here.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:05 am
been there, done that

phr1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the undutchables
Or is it just Canada that is boring?
It is Canada that is boring. sorry mate.
You can always make it more interesting by travelling outside the country more often.. if you can afford it.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phr1
You can always make it more interesting by travelling outside the country more often.. if you can afford it.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:55 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Strange, isn't it, how some are bored and others content. There is no right or wrong.. it's just the way it is.

I do miss country pubs, castles and running over to France for a weekend or so, but I like Canada and don't find it boring at all.

Different strokes for different folks, as they say.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 16th 2014 at 2:53 am.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

I couldn't agree more.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Culture_Shock-Canada

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Fitting_into_Canada
Open and accepting attitude

Your transition will be smoother if you have an open mind and accept that day to day things are done differently in Canada.
As anthropologist Wade Davis said, “The world in which you were born is just one model of reality. Other cultures are not failed attempts at being you; they are unique manifestations of the human spirit."

You're an anthropologist

Actually the reference to an anthropologist is a useful one.
You can make things more fun if you view yourself as an anthropologist studying the customs of the native tribe.
Then every request for a double double and a box of timbits can, instead of being a boring nuisance, be an interesting field observation.
Lychee, Siouxie

Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlmostThere12
We were having this exact discussion this morning! I think some people are chasing a dream idea which doesn't really exist. What you gain in one area, you lose in another, wherever you are in the world. Unless you are absolutely bursting at the seams with cash and can afford to fly/travel to whatever you desire at the drop of a hat. Unfortunately the majority are not in this situation so we have to prioritise what we want, you can't have it all.
True. Great perspective. Now where's all my surplus cash gone?
Old Apr 16th 2014, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sue
I know a lot of people who live in places I don't like. It doesn't mean we are being rude to the people who live there if we state that we don't like a place. My hubby hates the place I was born and raised in, but I don't take it personally, that's just how he feels. He still loves me

We are entitled to our opinions and as long as they are shared respectfully, as was done here, there is nothing wrong with saying so. Please don't turn a sharing of an opinion (that was not directed at another person in a mean manner) into something it was not.

Thanks
+1 (x2 to the power of 18)

Sharing opinions is what BE is. A different opinion and/or a dislike of a location does not equal an attack. Nor should it make someone open to offensive PMs
Old Apr 16th 2014, 11:30 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

A mighty sweeping statement to say the whole country is boring. Maybe you just need new friends
Old Apr 16th 2014, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

So nothing to do with the British attitude to everything? I was trying to gauge why so many expats, in so many different parts of the country are saying the same thing about where they have settled ( or not).

We have a good living in Calgary, plenty of money, my own business. We have traveled western Canada, been back to the UK 4 times in 6 years, but still there is something missing.

For us, we thrive on the excitement of new horizons, arriving in a new place and everything being different. We say we are bored with Calgary, we have no other reason to move, not financial, for work or the life style.
So the reason we are moving on is more to do with us, than the place.

Sure, some things here don't suit us, house prices are ridiculous, driving here drives me mad ( no pun intended!) and we really miss being near the sea. It is a case of, been there, done that, what can we try next.
We have lived in the country, in a city, on a ( very small) island, and have loved each place ( and some dislikes) for different reasons.

I guess we are destined to wander the earth for the rest of our lives. And that suits us just fine!
Old Apr 16th 2014, 3:35 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not bored in Vancouver
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by confused_uk
It's hardly drastically lower though is it? It's still within $1000 or 2 of most of the other places
Well it's a lot lower than SK or AB and a fair bit lower than Ontario.

You get a fuller picture by looking at the unemployment rate: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...mployment_rate

Once again, Maritimes are higher than the rest of Canada.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
the thought of being old in Alberta scares me.
I think we're in a better situation than anywhere else in Canada. Alberta has more money, so the healthcare is better. Plus there are less old people here per capita, so there are less to look after.

I remember during the H1N1 panic I was very surprised at how many old people showed up to be immunized, never really seen any in Calgary until then.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 7:29 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Strange, isn't it, how some are bored and others content. There is no right or wrong.. it's just the way it is.

I do miss country pubs, castles and running over to France for a weekend or so, but I like Canada and don't find it boring at all.
Imx it depends on how much of a "people" person you are, if you want to go to places full of people and see interesting buildings then Europe is the place, Canada is not that, it has better scenery and wide open spaces though. It depends on whether that is something you like though, other people find that "boring". There are some interesting places in Canada though even compared to Europe.
Old Apr 16th 2014, 9:55 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I think we're in a better situation than anywhere else in Canada. Alberta has more money, so the healthcare is better. Plus there are less old people here per capita, so there are less to look after.

I remember during the H1N1 panic I was very surprised at how many old people showed up to be immunized, never really seen any in Calgary until then.
It's more the thought of trying to walk around on icy streets for half a year than anyyhing else. The old folk here all seem really healthy and happy even the ones with oxygen
Old Apr 16th 2014, 11:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

I think what does surprise me is when people say they've "retired" to Alberta, I was in Staples yesterday and got chatting to the guy in line in front of me who said he had recently "retired" to Calgary.

But if you look at it from a purely financial standpoint it does make sense, lower taxes, no healthcare premium, AHS is apparently better than other provinces.

Yes you've got to buy a house but it seems to be a fairly decent investment at present.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.