Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

For the Nova Scotia "Experts"

Wikiposts

For the Nova Scotia "Experts"

Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:08 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute
Default For the Nova Scotia "Experts"

Just toying with the idea of spending a week in Nova Scotia in late November/early December.

Can someone tell me what the weather's like then i.e. is it ok for driving around or would it be too snowy?

Also, what do people recommend we "must see" if we have a week to spend there - would be seeing this as more of a vacation than a research trip.

Many thanks
F&J
Old Nov 6th 2004, 9:35 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: For the Nova Scotia "Experts"

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Just toying with the idea of spending a week in Nova Scotia in late November/early December.

Can someone tell me what the weather's like then i.e. is it ok for driving around or would it be too snowy?

Also, what do people recommend we "must see" if we have a week to spend there - would be seeing this as more of a vacation than a research trip.

Many thanks
F&J
I think the best bet is to hope for the best like in Britain. After giving you that useless advice I found on my fewtrips that going up to Cape Bretton or generally North is far more likely to be cold and snowy. For this time of year I would base myself around Halifax. A big warning is that tourism shuts down on 31st of October so most Historic sites are closed. Also the fantastic autumn colours would be gone.
Is it your first trip? To me NS is about meeting the people and you will feel welcomed anytime of year.
For car hire try wheelsabroad.com
Sugestions to visit:
Halifax - Port 21, Citedal, Maritime, Ice Hockey (catch a Mooseheads game)
Drive to Lunenburg via Mahone Bay. Can rcommend a B&B.
Peggys Cove (will be quite bleak but charming)
Others will add I'm sure.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Hi There Flossie and Jim
Well as Crispie mentioned, most of the historic sites will be shut for the winter. The weather shouldn't be to bad at that time of year. today is 10c and very sunny. You may be lucky and get a light snowfall but doubt you will get a storm.
there is till lots to see at that time of the year but just alot less pretty! I guess it just depends what you want to see. And where you want to go and what kids of things you like.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 5:04 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies - we realise that lots of things usually shut for the winter season. Have been to Canada several times now (more often than not in the winter) but never to the maritimes.
Guess we would like to just tour around a little, see the scenery, perhaps ski (if there is anywhere to ski in NS - I don't know), meet the locals and try the local seafood and beer!
Old Nov 7th 2004, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Thanks for the replies - we realise that lots of things usually shut for the winter season. Have been to Canada several times now (more often than not in the winter) but never to the maritimes.
Guess we would like to just tour around a little, see the scenery, perhaps ski (if there is anywhere to ski in NS - I don't know), meet the locals and try the local seafood and beer!
Try Martock or Wentworth for skiing. Don't expect the world though, if you want that go to the west for skiing not NS!!lol. You can do them both in a daytrip from Halifax no problem so that makes up for it.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 6:18 am
Just Joined

matts_99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Heading over to Halifax at the end of the month for an interview at Dalhousie University, and am spending a weekend there to try and get a feel for the place. Was planning on spending a day wandering around Halifax, and hoping to hire a car for a day. Is Peggys Cove and Luneberg realistic for a day trip from Halifax? Really looking forward to seeing Halifax and Dalhousie, as both have been strongly recommended to me.

Originally Posted by Crispie
I think the best bet is to hope for the best like in Britain. After giving you that useless advice I found on my fewtrips that going up to Cape Bretton or generally North is far more likely to be cold and snowy. For this time of year I would base myself around Halifax. A big warning is that tourism shuts down on 31st of October so most Historic sites are closed. Also the fantastic autumn colours would be gone.
Is it your first trip? To me NS is about meeting the people and you will feel welcomed anytime of year.
For car hire try wheelsabroad.com
Sugestions to visit:
Halifax - Port 21, Citedal, Maritime, Ice Hockey (catch a Mooseheads game)
Drive to Lunenburg via Mahone Bay. Can rcommend a B&B.
Peggys Cove (will be quite bleak but charming)
Others will add I'm sure.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matts_99
Hi

Heading over to Halifax at the end of the month for an interview at Dalhousie University, and am spending a weekend there to try and get a feel for the place. Was planning on spending a day wandering around Halifax, and hoping to hire a car for a day. Is Peggys Cove and Luneberg realistic for a day trip from Halifax? Really looking forward to seeing Halifax and Dalhousie, as both have been strongly recommended to me.
You can get to Peggy's Cove from downtown Halifax in about 45 minutes. Lunenburg is a bit further but is only about 90 minutes though someone might correct me on that as I only went there once!!
Old Nov 7th 2004, 6:33 am
Just Joined

matts_99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that- anything else you would recommend around Halifax?

Originally Posted by ukjo
You can get to Peggy's Cove from downtown Halifax in about 45 minutes. Lunenburg is a bit further but is only about 90 minutes though someone might correct me on that as I only went there once!!
Old Nov 7th 2004, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Lunenburg isn't that far from Halifax...Gosh ukjo....90 mins and you are at my house! Lunenburg is about 50mins from Halifax....
Well things to see in Halifax.....well how about the old Ale House, that seems to be making quite a stir recently!!! Check out all the Malls..
Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Corky
Lunenburg isn't that far from Halifax...Gosh ukjo....90 mins and you are at my house! Lunenburg is about 50mins from Halifax....
Well things to see in Halifax.....well how about the old Ale House, that seems to be making quite a stir recently!!! Check out all the Malls..

I must have been timing it from my house then. Told you I had only been there once!!!!lol
Old Nov 7th 2004, 9:39 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for that- anything else you would recommend around Halifax?
If you are just wanting to drive around and look at the countryside, I would recommend Lawrencetown beach.

Check if the Mooseheads are playing whilst you are there.
www.mooseheads.ns.sympatico.ca/

try the IMAX theatre
http://www.foundlocally.com/Halifax/...MovieTimes.htm

MicMac Mall is great
http://micmacmall.shopping.ca/cambri...jsp?mallid=mic

These people were great for a hire car
http://www.cheap-car-rental.com/
Attached Thumbnails For the Nova Scotia "Experts"-lawrencetown-beach.jpg  

Last edited by liftman; Nov 7th 2004 at 9:44 am.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 10:22 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Lucky you - I like Dalhousie (doing my Masters through them)! Don't forget the Citadel and a great pub downtown with the best breaded scallops - The Maxwell's Plum.
Old Nov 7th 2004, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Padsnbon is an unknown quantity at this point

We stayed in a fantastic cabin in the woods near Upper Clyde outside Shelburne for a week. The reason I mention it is that the owner was in the Tourist industry....if you need any advice on where to stay/visit etc let me know and I will contact her for you.....really lovely woman who made our holiday that much more because she was so friendly
Old Nov 7th 2004, 7:51 pm
Evil petting zoo owner

gingermartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: For the Nova Scotia "Experts"

For a week, if you don't mind a bit of traveling, you could always drive down the Annapolis Vally via Wolfville, through to Anapolis Royal and perhaps Brier island for a spot of whale watching (is that sort of thing floats your boat). To get back to Halifax, drive through the kejimkujik national park. Then stop off in Lunenburg - http://www.explorelunenburg.ca/ (I know the best B & B), Mahone Bay and then peggy's cove.

I've never been a big fan of Halifax. There's not much of charm there that you won't see in England. I've also found the people to be a lot nicer once you get away from the "City". (no offense to anyone living in Halifax).

If you like shops and you have time, Bayers lake is worth a visit. - http://www.shop-halifax.com/BayersLake/

If you need any advice, just PM me and I will do my best point you in the right direction.

Martin