Nova Scotia

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light
Default Nova Scotia

I know there are a number of threads about Nova Scotia, but I have a few specific areas that I'd like some help on

1) What are he winters really like ?
2) Can you go skiing in NS (and if so whats the skiing like ?)
3) We have a young family. Where around the Halifax area are the nicer places to live, and where should we avoid ? We have heard good things about Fall River, but that was from a realtor that lived and worked there
4) Whats it like for teenagers? Are they likely to want to move away at the earliest opportunity
5) where would be a good place for a small holiday home (that might also be suitable for letting out)

I know the only way to truely find out is to go and see it for myself, but in the meantime, any thoughts / comments /advice would be greatly appreciated
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

torticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant future
Default Re: Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by Southcote
1) What are he winters really like ?
Horrendous, we have just finished stockpiling 7 months of supplies and will be battening the hatches this weekend…… Honestly there not that bad but then that all depends where in NS you are thinking of? Here in HRM the temps are generally below zero for many months with spikes to around +10 degrees. The snow totals anywhere above 150cm per season but generally only last a week or so before a warm front (rain) melts it away. That said there is little in the way of rainy days but when it does it comes down hard. Wind chill can be in the -20’s for a few weeks but its actually quite bearable. Summer is ace too.

2) Can you go skiing in NS (and if so whats the skiing like ?)
2 main areas, Martock and Wentworth. Wentworth is larger by about 6-8 runs and should get better snow but last year was poor compared to martock. There nothing special and more like a large hill than a mountain but there close to HRM and my season ticket to Martock was $119. http://www.martock.com/index.shtml http://www.skiwentworth.ca/trailmap.html

3) We have a young family. Where around the Halifax area are the nicer places to live, and where should we avoid ? We have heard good things about Fall River, but that was from a realtor that lived and worked there
People from Fall River all say that and it does have some nice areas but its not for everyone. Bedford, Hammonds Plains, Kingswood, Mineville, Lawrencetown and parts of Halifax could suit?

4) Whats it like for teenagers? Are they likely to want to move away at the earliest opportunity
Depends where you live and what you/they are into. Most areas have excellent facilities and cater for teenagers.

5) where would be a good place for a small holiday home (that might also be suitable for letting out)
South Shore, Cape Breton and possible the Valley but tourist season is fairly short if your looking to make an income form it?

Hope this helps and feel free to PM
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:37 am
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

Exactly what Torticat said.

Most find that it's a "different" type of cold. Much dryer compared with the typical damp UK winter. Trust me, -5c here doesn't feel like -5c in the UK. The trick is to wear numerous layers of clothing as during the course of a day you're in and out of cars, shops, work etc and everywhere is well heated. (The malls almost tropical!! )

The skiing is adequate if you are new to the sport. A good distraction (right Ian!)

For areas to live, do your homework. Everyone with an interest will say "move here"..... "don't move there".... Most would agree that there are certain areas in downtown Halifax/ Dartmouth that should be avoided, Spryfield and Preston have traditionally had bad reputations but other than those areas its all about choice. Come over, find a base and pick a direction a day.... see it all, then decide.

Kids adapt! Maybe even better than us. Once they settle, if they are anything like mine, you won't see them for dust. Always out, friends, sleepovers, malls, sports......
Old Nov 4th 2006, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

dkvl has a spectacular aura aboutdkvl has a spectacular aura aboutdkvl has a spectacular aura about

As far as areas to live go, you can get information about local facilities, schools, ease of travel to different areas,etc, but in the end it will probably come down to which area also "feels" right for you. Get as much information as possible then take the time to visit different areas.

Deborah
Old Nov 6th 2006, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your replies - plenty to look into.

In terms of areas, I had heard good things about Bedford, but I'll have more of a look into the other areas mentioned.

The ski areas look very cheap (by European standards)which look a big bonus.

I had heard that the cold weather isn't as bad a it is in the UK.The winter weather is more of an issue for my wife than it is for me, but i wouldn't want to live somewhere that its cold all the time. I guess you adapt to the weather anyway, sounds like we need to plan a trip. I would like to go out in January, but the cheaper flights (Zoom, Canadian Affair etc) don't seem to have a winter schedule

Thanks everyone

Mark
Old Nov 6th 2006, 9:43 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

I had heard that the cold weather isn't as bad a it is in the UK.The winter weather is more of an issue for my wife than it is for me, but i wouldn't want to live somewhere that its cold all the time. I guess you adapt to the weather anyway, sounds like we need to plan a trip. I would like to go out in January, but the cheaper flights (Zoom, Canadian Affair etc) don't seem to have a winter schedule

Thanks everyone

Mark
Hi Mark

I'm moving from NE Scotland to NS in January and I am preparing myself for around 3 months of snow.

http://www.worldweather.org/056/m056.htm

Temps range from -15 to +4 (average) in NS which is not really that cold for Canadian winters but colder than UK and for longer period. They say a dry cold is better than our wet cold but I think its still going to be helluva darned cold with snow on the ground for weeks and weeks on end. I think the length of time will take some getting used to.

Here is a 'weather winner's' table:

http://www.on.ec.gc.ca/weather/winners/winners-e.html

Re flights - look at Air Canada, pretty cheap in January.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 9:17 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Hi Mark

I'm moving from NE Scotland to NS in January and I am preparing myself for around 3 months of snow.

Temps range from -15 to +4 (average) in NS which is not really that cold for Canadian winters but colder than UK and for longer period. They say a dry cold is better than our wet cold but I think its still going to be helluva darned cold with snow on the ground for weeks and weeks on end. I think the length of time will take some getting used to.

Prince Rupert's most famous resident was the Man from Atlantis.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 2:46 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Hi Mark

from my one winter in halifax 2002/3 i don't remember the snow lying for months on end, weeks at the most, down in the annapolis valley etc it may have been a bit different but being on the coast the temps did'nt drop consistently - also it was more of a wet cold in hfx like the one we got in abz unlike the dry cold out west - which i much prefer so far anyway
Old Nov 8th 2006, 2:47 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Can you guess why ?
Old Nov 8th 2006, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beaverquest

Can you guess why ?

They may not be that great, but they are better than nothing, which is what we have now !