Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Not paying TAX on pay owing once moved out of the UK

Not paying TAX on pay owing once moved out of the UK

Old Jun 15th 2012, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

RoMo82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not paying TAX on pay owing once moved out of the UK

Im currently serving in the forces and due to leave service and move out to Canada in early November, however my service termination date isn't until Feb 8th 2013 so im effectively on 3 months leave where i will still be getting my monthly pay but i wont be living in the UK anymore.
Is there something i need to fill out or submit giving notice of immigration so that i don't pay TAX and NI since i'll have left the UK?

Cheers in advance

RoMo
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:34 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not paying TAX on pay owing once moved out of the UK

As long as you are on the payroll of HMAF you are considered as tax resident in the UK.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:42 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Its this form you need to send to HMRC in UK

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/canada-individual.pdf

However, from experience the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will not stamp the relevant place on the form until you have submitted at least 1 tax return in Canada. In reality this means you will continue to pay tax and NI on your salary in UK. You might even be classed as still Tax Resident in UK until you actually finish your leave.

If you are leaving UK you should also submit a P85 to let HMRC you are leaving the UK http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cnr/p85.pdf

JonBoy might be along soon to give you better advice
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:44 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Lol in fact he came along before I got there !!!!
Old Jun 16th 2012, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

RoMo82 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks both, i did manage to track down the P85 thing so it looks like i'll just have to do that and wait for the rebate after my termination date unless i can organise for the Army to pay my remaining leave payments in a lump sum, but im pretty certain they'll tell me where to go on that one.

Cheers
Old Jun 16th 2012, 5:15 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

One other thing to think about is if you are due a lump sum on discharge. This might be tax-free in the UK but they are not in Canada. If you are due a gratuity then a bit of proper prior planning is in order.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jun 16th 2012 at 5:23 pm.