Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

not much luck yet applying for jobs Montreal

not much luck yet applying for jobs Montreal

Old Jan 11th 2014, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: not much luck yet applying for jobs Montreal

Scribble, having had a look at some of your other posts:

Are you actually in Montreal/Canada? If not, then I understand why you are not getting anywhere with your applications.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Deleted

Last edited by Shirtback; Jan 11th 2014 at 8:13 pm. Reason: Duplicate
Old Jan 12th 2014, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Scribble, having had a look at some of your other posts:

Are you actually in Montreal/Canada? If not, then I understand why you are not getting anywhere with your applications.
In between but I have a Mtl telephone number on my CV, it forwards calls to me.
So, as far as the recruiter is concerned, I am in Montreal but I haven't had a single call (not even an inquisitive call to find out experience).
Don't think it is a skills mismatch as I have over 10 years in my field and I get called in the UK for jobs all the time.
So, that leaves either language or they are not sure what "Permanent Resident of Canada" implies visa wise and just put me to the bottom.

Originally Posted by jandro
Having intermediate French acquired abroad probably isn't going to cut it for many Quebec employers. Ideally they like you to speak with a Quebecois accent.
How come the French have so many jobs then? They speak with an accent from France
Also,Mtl is pretty multi cultural.

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
Applying for jobs is generally not how IT jobs work in Canada anymore. You need to get a strong resume through as many agencies as possible. Generally these days agencies match people to jobs they need to fill, you don't find jobs for people. It's kinda the reverse of what it used to be.
Not sure I understand? Applying for jobs online is either
-going through an agency who match you to a company/job or
-it's applying directly to the company who match you to a job that needs to be filled or in fact a specific job that you applied for.

Last edited by Scribble; Jan 12th 2014 at 1:09 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scribble
In between but I have a Mtl telephone number on my CV, it forwards calls to me.

So, ... they are not sure what "Permanent Resident of Canada" implies visa wise and just put me to the bottom.

How come the French have so many jobs then? They speak with an accent from France
1. if your CV indicates you are a PR that is a huge mistake .. simply say sweet bugger all and they will assume you are Canadian or you can work here legally without incurring the wrath of the state. Being too honest does you absolutely no good. Trust me.

2. To put it politely, I think you are a little naive here. Montreal is pretty multicultural but only on of the surface the mindset is they take care of their own 'pure laine' Quebecois. I have been here 51 years and have witnessed the massive changes but that is probably good enough for a separate eye-opening thread

Last edited by montreal mike; Jan 12th 2014 at 2:14 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 6:02 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe because the French are viewed as 'nos vieilles cousines' by many Quebecois. Native french speakers from other parts of the francophone world are also favoured as are fully bilingual allophones who were raised and educated in Quebec. I speak intermediate French as well but I just couldn't get to a level of full fluency. When I travel to France I'm complemented on my spoken French. I haven't lived in Quebec since the 90s so attitudes may have changed but I encountered many anti-anglo sentiments when I was there.

Also, francophone Quebecers can move to any part of Canada they wish and get good jobs and demand services in their language. It's a one way street.
Old Jan 12th 2014, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro
Maybe because the French are viewed as 'nos vieilles cousines' by many Quebecois. Native french speakers from other parts of the francophone world are also favoured as are fully bilingual allophones who were raised and educated in Quebec. I speak intermediate French as well but I just couldn't get to a level of full fluency. When I travel to France I'm complemented on my spoken French. I haven't lived in Quebec since the 90s so attitudes may have changed but I encountered many anti-anglo sentiments when I was there.

Also, francophone Quebecers can move to any part of Canada they wish and get good jobs and demand services in their language. It's a one way street.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by montreal mike
1. if your CV indicates you are a PR that is a huge mistake .. simply say sweet bugger all and they will assume you are Canadian or you can work here legally without incurring the wrath of the state. Being too honest does you absolutely no good. Trust me.

2. To put it politely, I think you are a little naive here. Montreal is pretty multicultural but only on of the surface the mindset is they take care of their own 'pure laine' Quebecois. I have been here 51 years and have witnessed the massive changes but that is probably good enough for a separate eye-opening thread
Really? I thought it was standard to put nationality and visa status on there - the big companies should be used to it?
Otherwise if I take it off, they're gonna get a British accent on the phone without expecting it ...and will then ask if I have the right to work.

Last edited by Scribble; Jan 13th 2014 at 8:30 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:01 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Really? I thought it was standard to put nationality and visa status on there - the big companies should be used to it?
Otherwise if I take it off, they're gonna get a British accent on the phone without expecting it ...and will the ask if I have the right to work.
so let them ask... at least they'd be on the phone, which from the sound of it is a step forward from where you are today

tbh I wouldn't expect anyone to call you back. Assume you will have to call them if you want to speak to somebody.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:21 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

.....if I take it off, they're gonna get a British accent on the phone without expecting it.
I have no expectations of accent I'm going to hear when I use the phone here. It's an immigrant society. Where someone originates from is irrelevant.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Otherwise if I take it off, they're gonna get a British accent on the phone without expecting it ...and will then ask if I have the right to work.
since 1962 I have never ever put my nationality and status or social insurance number on a CV

none of their bloody business

if you ever do get a job here that will be time to provide them evidence of your legal right to work in Canada
Old Jan 13th 2014, 8:47 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I have no expectations of accent I'm going to hear when I use the phone here. It's an immigrant society. Where someone originates from is irrelevant.
I would agree with R I C H on this. I have never ever showed my PR Card to anyone. My wife had to present her passport when she started her job - but that was just an HR identification confirmation thing.

I don't think it really occurs to people what your "status" might be. My PR card lives in the safe with all the other important stuff. Certainly don't carry it around with me. If you act like any other Canadian, they'll likely treat you like one (for job purposes anyway).
Old Jan 13th 2014, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by R I C H
It's an immigrant society. Where someone originates from is irrelevant.
then why does it matter if I put I'm an immigrant on my resume? heheh
only kidding...
all good advice, I'll adjust my CV and see what happens.

Last edited by Scribble; Jan 13th 2014 at 10:05 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

then why does it matter if I put I'm an immigrant on my resume? heheh
only kidding...
Joking apart, it *might* be doing you a disservice, in that it's a clue to your inexperience in the Quebec (maybe Canada too? I dunno, I only have Qc experience) job market.

There's a minefield of discrimination issues in the Qc job market, which reflect laterally on CV's. See above.

Banal example: we don't include DOB/photos.

This may be a daft question, Scribble, is your CV IN French? Have you called & spoken to recruiters?

I'm trying not to get too much into the language/Anglo discrimination discussion, as my personal experiences have been very different (despite my rather dismissive first post in the thread).

SB
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:22 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Could you maybe look for work somewhere else? Does it have to be Montreal?
Old Jan 13th 2014, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

try the Ottawa area

it is very very bilingual

the best of both words

(although the city itself is boring)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.