Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NORTHERN IRELAND EXPATS ??????

NORTHERN IRELAND EXPATS ??????

Old Aug 30th 2011, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

belfastman is a jewel in the roughbelfastman is a jewel in the roughbelfastman is a jewel in the roughbelfastman is a jewel in the rough
Default NORTHERN IRELAND EXPATS ??????

HI all........ any Northern Ireland expats out there could give some advice......??? im looking for a job offer in the printing industry..does anyone know anybody in the trade???? or work in a company who would be sympathetic to N.i. folk trying to relocate ????
I have20 years experience in the trade
Old Aug 30th 2011, 12:07 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NORTHERN IRELAND EXPATS ??????

Originally Posted by belfastman
HI all........ any Northern Ireland expats out there could give some advice......??? im looking for a job offer in the printing industry..does anyone know anybody in the trade???? or work in a company who would be sympathetic to N.i. folk trying to relocate ????
I have20 years experience in the trade
Ditto mate.

Not what you know over here. Paper industry is hurting everywhere.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

belfastman is a jewel in the roughbelfastman is a jewel in the roughbelfastman is a jewel in the roughbelfastman is a jewel in the rough

Hey pal...You tryin to get out to canada too....are you still here in N.I.??
I've been told the trade is great out there?
Old Aug 30th 2011, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Elen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really niceElen1981 is just really nice

Hi there,

I'm also from NI I've had my FSW application in since Dec 2010. I have a job offer so have applied through the FSW Cat 2 option. It is not in the printing industry however, but I had to wait for 6 months alone for the AEO to be approved by the Canadian government!

AEO (Arranged Employment Opinion) is a difficult route to go down as I am still waiting for my application to be processed, but maybe some of the senior forum members could give you advice on LMO (Labour Market Opinion) route.

You may already have all of this information
Old Aug 30th 2011, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

justme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nicejustme31170 is just really nice

We are in NI and going through the LMO route. It's definitly not easy and if you don't have bundles of patience it will do your head in!!

Good luck
Old Aug 30th 2011, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

cheers for all of the replies.....think its gonna be a long haul....Is there no quick fix??? cant you apply from canada if you go for the 3 months you are allowed to???
I'll have a look at the lmo route
Keep me posted guys
Cheers and good luck!!!
Old Aug 31st 2011, 2:03 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

cheers for all of the replies.....think its gonna be a long haul....Is there no quick fix??? cant you apply from canada if you go for the 3 months you are allowed to???
I'll have a look at the lmo route
Keep me posted guys
Cheers and good luck!!!
No mate im here now.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Afraid there is no 'quick fix' - those who have been waiting for visas since applying in 2007 will soon tell you that!

If you go over to Canada and job hunt on a visitor visa (which actually gives you 6 months, not 3), then that's going to be your best way to find a job offer. But it doesn't speed anything up and you'd still need your potential employer to apply for the LMO so you can get a Temp Work Permit.

But if you can go over there, then that's the way to do it. Have a read of the Job Hunting section of the Wiki to understand how to go about it, as the hiring culture in Canada is very different to the UK. Whereabouts are you hoping to go to?

Good luck.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Hi thanks for this....Im hoping to move to Bc or van island as printer or artist
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Have you by any chance been self-employed as a painter for at least 2 years out of the past 5?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:51 am
Just Joined

yeah acctually ...why do you ask ???
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

yeah acctually ...why do you ask ???
Have you looked at the Self-Employed program then? I assume you have, but just thought it worth asking.

Old Aug 31st 2011, 10:00 am
Just Joined

hey ..thanks for this...never thought of going down that route....nice one cheers...any more thoughts throw them my way
Old Aug 31st 2011, 10:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

No probs. I can't think of any other option for you, but without knowing everything about you (i.e. whether you have any family in Canada, your net worth, your background etc), it's quite hard to advise.

From what you've said, you either need a job offer for a visa, or could potentially go down the Self-Employed route to PR - will take longer, but be much more secure and potentially easier than trying to secure a job offer/LMO.

Good luck.