Reload this Page >

Northern Ireland driving licences in Canada

Northern Ireland driving licences in Canada

Old Nov 23rd 2009, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

rizzelator is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Northern Ireland driving licences in Canada

Hello All,

Before I came to Canada, i changed my NI driving licence for a GB one, but after trying to book an appointment to exchange my licence in Quebec, I have been informed that I have to give proof of my prior residency of GB (not NI). This is a bit of a problem for me so it stops that in its tracks.

I was looking online and found this article from the NI government, which says that NI has now been brought into line with the rest of the UK with regards to licence exchanges, and it states that the agreement is reciprocal and lists Canada as a country to exchange with. Does anyone know if you can now exchange a NI licence in Canada?

http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/ne...ules-announced

Thanks
rizz
Old Nov 23rd 2009, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all
Default Re: Northern Ireland driving licences in Canada

Although I'm in Alberta we never had any issues with having to provide proof of GB address. You should maybe print that document out and show them it.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kirstine
Although I'm in Alberta we never had any issues with having to provide proof of GB address. You should maybe print that document out and show them it.
does that article not mean that someone coming from those countries can exchange their driving license for a northern ireland one?
not sure about visa versa.
good luck
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rizzelator
Hello All,

Before I came to Canada, i changed my NI driving licence for a GB one, but after trying to book an appointment to exchange my licence in Quebec, I have been informed that I have to give proof of my prior residency of GB (not NI). This is a bit of a problem for me so it stops that in its tracks.

I was looking online and found this article from the NI government, which says that NI has now been brought into line with the rest of the UK with regards to licence exchanges, and it states that the agreement is reciprocal and lists Canada as a country to exchange with. Does anyone know if you can now exchange a NI licence in Canada?

http://www.northernireland.gov.uk/ne...ules-announced

Thanks
rizz
No such thing as a "Canada" driving licence. Each province makes up its own rules. Does Quebec recognise GB?

You need to be resident in GB in order to legally obtain a GB licence ... were you? (Hint - living in NI does not qualify you for a GB licence, or vice versa).
Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I am a little confused....always thought that NI was part of GB and that SI was not....so can't understand what the difficulty is
We had friends who had a Guernsey Licence which they couldn't exchange, so they just applied for a GB one and did not need to provide a GB address as they got it sent to them in Canada.
Not sure if this will help any?
Good luck
Stef

Originally Posted by JAJ
No such thing as a "Canada" driving licence. Each province makes up its own rules. Does Quebec recognise GB?

You need to be resident in GB in order to legally obtain a GB licence ... were you? (Hint - living in NI does not qualify you for a GB licence, or vice versa).
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

I think you should call up the DVLNI and ask them if you can now swap your license and also maybe email a registry agency in the province you're going.

That document states that the legislation has now been brought into line with the rest of the UK, the GB license can be swapped, it's a bit vague though but to my understanding if NI is now gonna accept Canadian licenses then I would assume that it would be the same the other way around.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:52 pm
Account Closed

dontrush2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
I am a little confused....always thought that NI was part of GB and that SI was not....so can't understand what the difficulty is
We had friends who had a Guernsey Licence which they couldn't exchange, so they just applied for a GB one and did not need to provide a GB address as they got it sent to them in Canada.
Not sure if this will help any?
Good luck
Stef
Small print here I'm afraid... N.I. is part of the UK but NOT part of GB.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 8:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
NI is part of United Kingdom (of GB & NI), not part of GB itself.

GB and NI have different driving licences (within the UK), just like Ontario and Alberta (within Canada).

Unclear why so many people find it hard to grasp this point.

This story doesn't make any sense. The DVLA will not issue a driving licence with a non-GB address.

This again, is standard practice. Only in the most exceptional circumstances do most driving licence jurisdictions issue a licence to someone not a resident of that territory.